PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting old oh how times change!

Harley
06-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Certain trends lately remind me of how old I'm getting and how young people are so rapidly changing.

I recently deleted my Facebook account, sick of the drama, and told my friends they could just email me. They never do... and after asking one why, he said that email was too much of a hassle. Email. A hassle... :confused:

I realized recently you don't have to use www anymore before a URL. Yet I still type it in... every time.

I told my girlfriend she should make a mix tape for our car trip on the weekend. She didn't know what a mix tape was. She's only 5 years younger than I.

Despite calling it a mix tape, I actually burn them onto CDs. I was told people don't even really do that anymore. Some new computers don't even have disk drives!

When I told my girlfriend it was the anniversary of D-Day she didn't know what that was.

A few years ago I had feelings for a woman from Germany who was in her early 20s so I wrote her a romantic letter and mailed it to her. She had never received a hand written letter before, let alone one of that nature.

I have a habit of listening to the radio for news and a young friend asked me condescendingly why I bothered. I had to remind him, when I was growing up, access to the internet was rare, watching TV all day was frowned upon and the radio, which was a very common, convenient outlet for information, was often the only cheap outlet for music or world news in a small town of 2000 folks.

I still say "folks"

I haven't watched TV in months.

The idea of buying MP3s baffles me. The idea of buying an MP3 player baffles me. If I am going to buy music, I at least better get a booklet or a vinyl sleeve or something I can add to a collection and spending hundreds on a tiny device that can only play music for yourself and doesn't have proper speaker hookups seems crazy.

I'm getting old... this sucks.

Wildeybeast
06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
How does anyone who has been through a western school system not know what D-day is? That's nothing to do with you being old.

Kaptain Badrukk
06-17-2014, 03:43 PM
How does anyone who has been through a western school system not know what D-day is? That's nothing to do with you being old.

The words we are looking for here are "willful ignorance".

Harley mate, I know EXACTLY how you feel, and the scary thing is I'm not even 30 yet!

DarkLink
06-17-2014, 04:26 PM
You're not old, just not very good at embracing change, even when it's for the better.

daboarder
06-17-2014, 06:02 PM
When I told my girlfriend it was the anniversary of D-Day she didn't know what that was.

Get a new girlfriend?

Bigred
06-17-2014, 06:54 PM
The one that stuck with me was when the college dudes at Home Depot offered to carry my 20 bags of mulch out to the car for me... and called me sir...

Also, I have a copy of my high school graduation on....

wait for it

BETA!!!

Harley
06-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Haha BG you should convert it to digital :P I've got some old tapes of my family I need to do that with.

The words we are looking for here are "willful ignorance".

Harley mate, I know EXACTLY how you feel, and the scary thing is I'm not even 30 yet!

Actually I don't recall ever covering almost anything about WW2 in school. Most of what I know was learned through self education, just reading, or watching history programs.
It's surprising the amount of important events not covered by public education which can differ vastly from one city to another. She went to school in Detroit if that makes any difference, not that it's a valid excuse.

DarkLink, I'm not sure that embracing some change is always good. For example, the whole email thing. Funny enough the guys at work will print me off important emails and leave them on my desk... we are on the same network... just forward me the email so that I don't have to manually type in the info! :)

DarkLink
06-17-2014, 11:48 PM
It's mostly "yeah, so there was a war, and Hitler was kinda a jerk, and we were buddies with Stalin but then we weren't but America won". Out here in California, however, we spent like three full years learning about how native Americans lived in harmony with their environment and ate nothing but acorns.

I had some great math, science, and english teachers, though. And we did cover a pretty good range of history when it came down to it.

This:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/whatever-happened-to-the-blink-182-nurse-close-your-eyes-it-aint-pretty/story-e6frfn09-1226366410764

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 12:36 AM
Well, I'm a Mentor to around 85 colleagues. Majority are young Graduates just beginning their careers.

In the words of Muse, and the song I'm listening to right now? It scares the hell out of me.

Dress down last Friday. My The Crow tee was on the clean heap. *nobody* recognised it. Nobody has ever watched The Young Ones or Bottom.

Pretty much all my pop culture references (and there's a lot of them. I'm like a walking episode of Spaced, with interposed footage of Carry On films) go over their heads.

Morgrim
06-18-2014, 01:35 AM
D-Day was only briefly touched on in my school, but honestly I don't have a problem with that. Instead the WW2 focus was on the Pacific, as in the bits that Australia was actually actively fighting in. Things like the bombing of Darwin and the Kokoda Trail and the sacking of Singapore. I was actually stunned to find out that in Europe and North America that entire area is completely ignored. >:|

Darren Richardson
06-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Dress down last Friday. My The Crow tee was on the clean heap. *nobody* recognised it. Nobody has ever watched The Young Ones or Bottom....

I remember watching Bottom late at night when I was a Young Teenager (tm), such a shame that Rick Mayall died recently whil still fairly young (56 these days is young)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have a copy of my high school graduation on....

wait for it

BETA!!!

I remember Betamax!

My dad had one, kept chewing up the tapes, so it's no wonder it went the way of the Dodo :D

- - - Updated - - -

Certain trends lately remind me of how old I'm getting and how young people are so rapidly changing........I'm getting old... this sucks.

I know how you feel, your not the only one who feels this way my friend....

- - - Updated - - -

You're not old, just not very good at embracing change, even when it's for the better.

Yes the whole world is changing very fast, some for the better, some for the worse.

Lord Tsien Tsien is pleased....

Wolfshade
06-18-2014, 01:43 AM
I sometimes feel my entire existance is an anachronism.

Psychosplodge
06-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Well, I'm a Mentor to around 85 colleagues. Majority are young Graduates just beginning their careers.

In the words of Muse, and the song I'm listening to right now? It scares the hell out of me.

Dress down last Friday. My The Crow tee was on the clean heap. *nobody* recognised it. Nobody has ever watched The Young Ones or Bottom.

Pretty much all my pop culture references (and there's a lot of them. I'm like a walking episode of Spaced, with interposed footage of Carry On films) go over their heads.

Yeah I hate this when talking to the youth of today, so many things go straight over their heads...
I heard about one the other day who'd never heard of Dan Ackroyd or the Blues Brothers :eek:

D-Day was only briefly touched on in my school, but honestly I don't have a problem with that. Instead the WW2 focus was on the Pacific, as in the bits that Australia was actually actively fighting in. Things like the bombing of Darwin and the Kokoda Trail and the sacking of Singapore. I was actually stunned to find out that in Europe and North America that entire area is completely ignored. >:|

I think the British army over there is the one refereed to as the forgotten army. We barely cover North Africa and Italy as well. WWII education consisted of the ****s rise to power, Dunkirk, and D-day iirc.

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 03:44 AM
How to rectify this?

I mean, what is the best way to trick 85 people into watching Adam and Joe on DVD??

Wolfshade
06-18-2014, 03:52 AM
Ketamine

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 03:55 AM
Drugs are bad.

Wolfshade
06-18-2014, 03:57 AM
You tell that to the diabetics...

Psychosplodge
06-18-2014, 03:59 AM
you were doing so well with spaced and the young ones (£12.99 complete HMV) but nobody deserves to have to watch more than one episode of the repetitive Adam and Joe show...

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 04:07 AM
you were doing so well with spaced and the young ones (£12.99 complete HMV) but nobody deserves to have to watch more than one episode of the repetitive Adam and Joe show...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U5Aqa9Fwzm0/T3fj6ZoSXRI/AAAAAAAAKSk/tCUAVWHgOok/s1600/get_out.jpg

You'll be telling us you didn't like Bits or Vids next. Heathen.

Psychosplodge
06-18-2014, 04:11 AM
I've heard of neither, but don't forget in those days ITV was a lot more regional.

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 04:19 AM
This was Channel 4.

Nige and Stef - Vids. The greatest ever movie review show ever. They introduced me to Cube, a truly superb thriller/mystery/WTF film (prequel is good. Avoid sequel, it's cack).

Psychosplodge
06-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Stand corrected.
Maybe thats your three or four years showing :p

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 04:34 AM
http://www.thinkbluela.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Lawn-FP.jpg

DarkLink
06-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Yeah I hate this when talking to the youth of today, so many things go straight over their heads...
I heard about one the other day who'd never heard of Dan Ackroyd or the Blues Brothers :eek:

Ah, the arrogance of old age...

Psychosplodge
06-18-2014, 09:37 AM
:p

Wildeybeast
06-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Yeah, Adam and Joe was brill. You're on your own with that one Splodgie.