PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Dark Angels Horde Marines!

interrogator_chaplain
06-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Very quickly going to post this as the game I'm about to attend (Against 'Nid's) is soon to happen, but wanted to share my dream coming into fruition. I'm about to field 6 full Tactical Squads for the first time ever! :D

2000 Points
HQ
Belial, Grandmaster of the Deathwing
Belial with Terminator Armour, Storm Bolter, Teleport Homer and Sword of Silence.
190 Points.
Codicer Maran (Librarian)
Librarian with Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Psychic Hood, Power Field Generator, Mastery Level 2 and Space Marine Bike.
150 Points.

Elites
Knights of the Old Days (Deathwing Terminators)
Deathwing Terminator Squad with 8 Terminators, 3 with Lightning Claws, 2 with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields, 2 with Storm Bolters and Power Fists and 1 with Assault Cannon and Power Fist.
294 Points.

Troops
Tactical Squad Pride of Angels
Tactical Squad with 10 Marines, Veteran Sergeant with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1 with Plasma Gun, Squad mounted in Rhino with Extra Armour.
210 Points.
Tactical Squad The Lion's Will
Tactical Squad with 10 Marines, Veteran Sergeant with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1 with Plasma Gun, Squad mounted in Rhino.
200 Points.
Tactical Squad Green Spear
Tactical Squad with 10 Marines, Veteran Sergeant with Plasma Pistol and Chainsword, 1 with Plasma Gun, 1 with Plasma Cannon.
200 Points.
Tactical Squad Soldiers of Judgement
Tactical Squad with 10 Marines, Veteran Sergeant with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1 with Meltagun.
160 Points.
Tactical Squad Fist of Caliban
Tactical Squad with 10 Marines, Veteran Sergeant with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1 with Meltagun.
160 Points.
Tactical Squad Torchbearers
Tactical Squad with 10 Marines, Veteran Sergeant with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1 with Lascannon.
170 Points.

Fast Attack
Unkindness of Angels (Ravenwing Bike Squad)
Ravenwing Attack Squadron with 5 Ravenwing Bikers, 1 with Meltagun, Veteran Sergeant with Melta Bombs, Close Combat Weapon and Bolt Pistol
159 Points

Heavy Support
Hammerhand (Whirlwind)
Whirlwind with Whirlwind Multiple Missile Launcher, Smoke Launchers, Hunter Killer Missile and Searchlights.
65 Points.

Fortifications
Instant Fortress (Aegis Defence Line)
Aegis Defence Line with Quad-Gun.
100 points.

2000 Points

I'm not sure what to expect, but as per usual, prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. I'm hoping that 70+ 3+ saves will take a good amount of chewing through to deal with. Cross your fingers for me against his Exocrine and I'll let you all know how it went later on!

interrogator_chaplain
06-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Well the long and short of it was that I took a total pounding.

I don't think he realized how badly I can't defend against it, so he took a pair of Flyrants and I spent a good deal of shooting to try and deal with them. I mean, tactically he was clever too, but the Dark Angels just can't deal with flyers on any level with the options available.

The Flyrants together killed about 20 to 24 Marines alone, and this was the first game he used a Mawloc, which I was not ready for. My Marines holding the Quad-Gun sat in a perfect circle around it, and he used this to his advantage and the Mawloc Deep Struck in on the Quad Gun. All 10 Marines were hit, and he killed 6 the first time and wiped out the rest in the second hit and went into ongoing reserves. That was demoralizing as it was the only thing menacing the Flyrants, and they then had free reign at that point. My Bike Squad was also hit by the Flyrants, and I failed 5 saves out of 7 during another round of shooting, losing all of my Bikes except the Librarian.

In all, as I dedicated a lot of my shooting to trying to do something, anything, to the Flyrants. They either missed or the Flyrants used terrain to cover themselves so effectively that I couldn't do anything about it. The only 2 wounds they took were from Perils and a Grounding test. And the rest of his MC's (Exocrine, Mawloc, Tervigon) weren't so much as scratched.

In all he won by 6 points (Malestrom mission: Tactical Escalation) to my 0 after I conceded on my turn 4.

Demoralized after the experience, I've asked him to lighten up on the Flyrants during friendly matches as I just can't compete, he will because he's a good guy. I told him I'll tell him when I'm bringing a more hardcore list that he can include the two, such as when I'm bringing my Knight.

Anggul
06-16-2014, 03:36 AM
Dark Angels can use all of the Forgeworld anti-air. Maybe get a Contemptor Mortis or some Air Defence Missile Launchers. You're also the only chapter with access to Mortis Dreadnoughts.

I would also give combi-meltas to the Sergeants of the Tactical squads with meltaguns and give the Ravenwing a second meltagun and probably a combi-melta too.

interrogator_chaplain
06-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Yeah, those are options, some I have available. I've got 4000+ points to play around with, so this is V1.0 of this list.

I may just have to grab me one of the Mortis Dreads, as everyone keeps raving about them. Which edition of Imperial Armour can I find the rules in?

Themaninthegreenhat
06-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah, those are options, some I have available. I've got 4000+ points to play around with, so this is V1.0 of this list.

I may just have to grab me one of the Mortis Dreads, as everyone keeps raving about them. Which edition of Imperial Armour can I find the rules in?

The original rules are in IA 2 (don't hold to that) and the new ones for 6'th. New-ish now i guess. Is in IA Apocalypse.

I have a similar issue, albeit with Armoured-fist-in-mah'-face-guard. IE flyers and high armour, might i beseech thee to try some missile launcher with flakk? since you seem to have the models it might be worth a try if you want to risk another cheesing (like getting creamed, BUT WORSE) Otherwise, try allying in some Inquisition if you can fluff it in, it'll give you some brisk anti-air to play with.

Just what i'd try with what you seem to have, don't know what it's worth.

Anggul
06-16-2014, 04:05 PM
The latest rules for Contemptors, Contemptor Mortises, Mortis Dreadnoughts and Missile Defence Launchers are in IA 2 (second edition). Basically they've re-done IA2.

interrogator_chaplain
06-16-2014, 06:49 PM
I've tried the Missile Launchers, they go down just as quickly. His Flyrants are constantly on the prowl for my AA.

I mean, I could go with a Dev Squad with 4 Missile Launchers and have a second squad manning a Quad-Gun, but in doing that I'm going to be pouring in about 500 points to take them down. (200 for the Dev Squad, 160-200 for a Tactical Squad, 100 points for a Aegis Line and Quad-Gun.) That's a little too much.

If anything, the impetus is now building to the Howling Griffons army that I've always wanted to do, if only to go and get the Hunter/Stalker.

Here's a couple of the pics I took at the start of the game, first pic is my deployment, second is his and third is reserves.

Also, happily, the game hit another milestone, this was the first game we played without having to borrow terrain from the local hobby shop!

Anggul
06-17-2014, 03:51 AM
By missile launchers do you mean Marines with flakk missiles or the stationary Missile Defence Platforms? The platforms are T6 3+ and fire skyfire krak missiles that re-roll to hit against flyers, so you're wounding a Tyrant on a 2+ and ignoring it's armour save. Alternatively Contemptor Mortis are good because they have front AV13, meaning brainleech worm devourers can't hurt it from the front. As a Tyranid player my flyrant fears both of these.

Themaninthegreenhat
06-17-2014, 06:07 AM
I've tried the Missile Launchers, they go down just as quickly. His Flyrants are constantly on the prowl for my AA.

I mean, I could go with a Dev Squad with 4 Missile Launchers and have a second squad manning a Quad-Gun, but in doing that I'm going to be pouring in about 500 points to take them down. (200 for the Dev Squad, 160-200 for a Tactical Squad, 100 points for a Aegis Line and Quad-Gun.) That's a little too much.

If anything, the impetus is now building to the Howling Griffons army that I've always wanted to do, if only to go and get the Hunter/Stalker.

Here's a couple of the pics I took at the start of the game, first pic is my deployment, second is his and third is reserves.

Also, happily, the game hit another milestone, this was the first game we played without having to borrow terrain from the local hobby shop!

I feel i might be veering into "That guy" territory here. But it comes down to this. Do you want an all comers list, or against this Nid list?

interrogator_chaplain
06-17-2014, 08:15 AM
I want to "all comers" this list as it's primary role is "For fun" and not to specifically to win. Putting into perspective here is that I was the GW Conflict Montreal "Worst General" (Back when GW still held those things.) so I can handle loss if the game was still a lot of fun. Getting my army systematically torn to pieces while I can barely do anything but pick off Gaunts isn't exactly fun.

@Anggul Just the standard marines with rockets right now. We haven't yet used FW in our games, but I'm sure they'd be cool with it. Only real obstacle is me working through my backlog right now, which includes a Super-Heavy, so I'm having a hard time, internally, justifying new purchases.

Themaninthegreenhat
06-26-2014, 01:30 AM
All comers? Well, trying to keep the core of the army intact, ie hordes, i have a few slight suggestions.
* is the librarian super necessary? is it the DIV-prim standard? where do you put him and what does he do? is it more important than anti air anti vehicle? Can we consider mayhapst a melta drop pod ( if you have one)
* can we lose a squad of marines? Either that or the Quad, the quad seems more necessary, but who mans it, and do you, or do you WANT to keep objectives?
* Rhinos? More rhinos? It's going to be difficult staying alive (ah-ah-ah-ah) without that extra cardboard box to hide in.
* Whirldwinds, like vindicators, seem to be optimal to run in groups of two or more, with the surplus points from my above suggestions you can get one more, or drop them all together.
* I'd punch in another bike squad, get sum' sum' scouting melta or plasma harassment up in 'dis crib.