PDA

View Full Version : When the telly is rubbish(er than usual)

Mr Mystery
06-13-2014, 06:35 AM
So The World Cup is upon us, which for people like me who couldn't care less means only one thing. 4.5 weeks of telly hell.

I was sick of it before it started. I was gently nerding out to Star Trek The Next Generation, and when the ad break came on? It was all about sodding Football.

Bah I say! Bah and indeed Humbug!

But what do you do when television becomes interminable?

Me, I load up on the DVDs and Blurays.

Currently working my way through Supernatural 1-8 (just started Season 5). And for dessert? I still need to watch all of Space, Above and Beyond, which I've had for best part of a year now.

But because any diet must have variety, I'm also going to procure Space, Black Books and The IT Crowd on DVD.

Anyone else?

Wolfshade
06-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Netflix.

I probably watch more on-demand tv than live.

Psychosplodge
06-13-2014, 07:06 AM
It might be time for you to watch Gungrave and Trigun, Mystery. Give anime that serious chance it deserves.

Either that or get a gaming PC so you don't notice the telly is crap cause you've stopped watching it anyway...

Gotthammer
06-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Watch K-On. Everyone should watch K-On. And Nichijou. And Plastic Nee-San. And Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san.

But Trigun is also very good.

Darren Richardson
06-13-2014, 07:32 AM
GitS Standalone Complex....

Enough said :D

on a more serious note, for me evenings tend to be domanaited by work, when not working putting together all those lovely plastic 40k figures I've been getting half price, still got 50 odd Space marines to make up :rolleyes:

But I've been twisted by the dark side and have been making up those DV Choas marines..... to go with the Choas Termies, CM squad and Termy Choas Lord, of which I got all for half price :D

Yes I've been converted to the dark side lately :D

ElectricPaladin
06-13-2014, 08:10 AM
I tend to listen more than I watch anyway - have you tried audiobooks? I just finished Book III of the Gentlemen *******s series from audible. The reading is superb. You can get Book I - The Lies of Locke Lamora - there as well. I've also listened to Dresden Files, Jacqueline Carey's works, this ridiculously brilliant work of modern occult horror conspiracy called The Rook... tons of great stuff. And it leaves my eyes and hands completely free for painting!

Oh, that's right. I can't type *******s.

Er... Gentlemen Parents-Not-Marrieds?

By the Throne, this is dumb...

Wolfshade
06-13-2014, 08:17 AM
I would s****** at your predicatment, but I can't.

Psychosplodge
06-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Imagine if you were try to s****** at the gentlemans *******s while listening to it in S****horpe.... you'd be buggered

Mr Mystery
06-13-2014, 08:31 AM
I also have a work filter.

Wolfshade
06-13-2014, 08:41 AM
I also have a work filter.

So do I, it filters me from doing work :)

Deadlift
06-13-2014, 11:32 AM
If I don't have control of the doofer (remote) then I usually grab my iPad and read a book, play hearthstone or pop in here.

DarkLink
06-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Name of the Wind and its sequel, A Wise Man's Fear, are also very good books. Try Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, too. Like it, and you'll probably like all of his books, and he's got quite a few considering how he's only been published for the last, say, 7 years.

ElectricPaladin
06-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Name of the Wind and its sequel, A Wise Man's Fear, are also very good books. Try Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, too. Like it, and you'll probably like all of his books, and he's got quite a few considering how he's only been published for the last, say, 7 years.

Mistborn is FREAKING BRILLIANT. I'm also reading his doorstop series - The Way of Kings. I haven't had the courage to crack the second, though as the school year just ended I might work up the will to do it soon. He was cornering himself backwards into an epic racial fail in the first one, and I'm curious to see if he can write his way out of it in the second. By all accounts, Sanderson is a decent and well-intentioned human being, but he does come from a backwards conservative culture with a history of racism, so... we'll see. He's written decently enough that I wouldn't condemn him categorically and completely if he did fail, but I think there's still hope and I'm curious to read what comes out.

I haven't read Name of the Wind yet. I'm afraid to because there's a novel idea I've been tossing around for a few years now which is very similar, and I don't want to confuse my own work.

Then again, the last time that happened I thought mine was better, so... :D

DarkLink
06-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Wait until you read the second one. There are certain developments, on several fronts. And it's better than the first. Besides, it was Tolkien that invented the moden fantasy concept of "good" and "bad" races, if you want to play that card. Something you should understand if you've read Mistborn is that rarely is anything ever at it seems on the surface, and he makes a point to subvert tropes.

Deadlift
06-13-2014, 12:59 PM
You could also try "the painted man" by Peter V Brett. It's a really good read if your into fantasy books, it's sequels are also excellent and the series isn't finished yet. If you like Daemons you will like these books :).

ElectricPaladin
06-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Wait until you read the second one. There are certain developments, on several fronts. And it's better than the first. Besides, it was Tolkien that invented the moden fantasy concept of "good" and "bad" races, if you want to play that card. Something you should understand if you've read Mistborn is that rarely is anything ever at it seems on the surface, and he makes a point to subvert tropes.

Response hidden for the uninitiated.

It was, specifically, the idea of the race that is enslaved "for it's own good" that I thought would trip him up.

But like I said, I reserve judgment until I've actually read it. I did note that about Mistborn (and everything else he's written) so I was cautious, but optimistic, even before your comment.

DarkLink
06-13-2014, 04:19 PM
There's actually at least three different subplots dedicated to different aspects of your concern that I can think of, plus a new viewpoint character, and that's not including the class issues that get brought up. So, yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about it being swept under the rug.

ElectricPaladin
06-13-2014, 04:23 PM
There's actually at least three different subplots dedicated to different aspects of your concern that I can think of, plus a new viewpoint character, and that's not including the class issues that get brought up. So, yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about it being swept under the rug.

Awesome. I may start reading tonight, if my regular post-school year torpor doesn't put me to bed at sunset.

eldargal
06-15-2014, 11:31 PM
I often go back and watch favourite episodes of Buffy or DS9/VOY/TNG or whatever. Also see a lot of whatever my girly cousin horde are watching, think I've seen Justice League Unlimited about six times.:rolleyes:

You should also watch Sleepy Hollow if you haen't already, such good.

Harley
06-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Mystery, I have to admit, you often seem like the most backward, anti-me person I've ever seen post but I agree that football, of any variety is mind numbing and I would rather be watching Star-trek. Netflix is the go-to.

As for Buffy, I honestly feel that anyone who can stare at Sarah Michelle Geller for that long and not vomit doesn't deserve to breath the same air that I do. It's not much better than Twilight which isn't saying much.

Path Walker
06-17-2014, 12:53 PM
As for Buffy, I honestly feel that anyone who can stare at Sarah Michelle Geller for that long and not vomit doesn't deserve to breath the same air that I do. It's not much better than Twilight which isn't saying much.

Look how wrong this person is.

Mr Mystery
06-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Buffy was of its time.

Really enjoyed it first time around, but now still ok, but no as awesome as I remembered it to be.

Harley
06-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Buffy was of its time.

Really enjoyed it first time around, but now still ok, but no as awesome as I remembered it to be.

Were you 12 at the time? Because then that would make sense since our expectations are rather low at that age.

Mr Mystery
06-17-2014, 01:51 PM
16ish.

Still enjoy it, but not as universally as I did.

Harley
06-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Makes sense. Btw you should check out Deep Space Nine. While overall not as good as TNG it has some really unique characters and the last few seasons are very good.

Darren Richardson
06-18-2014, 01:03 AM
Makes sense. Btw you should check out Deep Space Nine. While overall not as good as TNG it has some really unique characters and the last few seasons are very good.

Mehh, Try Babylon 5 Seasons 1 to 3 instead, far superior to all of Deep Space Trashcan.... :D

I agree about Buffy though, after season 3 it got even more daft, stopped watching it after season 4, still haven't seen the rest to this day.

eldargal
06-18-2014, 01:08 AM
Were you 12 at the time? Because then that would make sense since our expectations are rather low at that age.

If you think it was anything like Twilight then you haven't watched either of them.

Wolfshade
06-18-2014, 01:40 AM
I unfortunately have to agree with EG.

Despite TNG being the bestest eva! I do enjoy DS9, especially for a binge as you start to get the story arc flowing. VOY is good once you hit Scorpion pt1 new writters + 7of9 oh yes.

I've been watching Dusk till Dawn the series and that is quite enjoyable.

Also DS9 is at least 4 better than Babylon 5.

Currently I am watching Battle Star, I blame EG and her Stockhoff adoration.

Psychosplodge
06-18-2014, 01:54 AM
Mehh, Try Babylon 5 Seasons 1 to 3 instead, far superior to all of Deep Space Trashcan.... :D

I agree about Buffy though, after season 3 it got even more daft, stopped watching it after season 4, still haven't seen the rest to this day.

Babylon 5? really? :rolleyes:
But doesn't that mean you missed hot evil lesbian witch Willow? Also it had mostly jumped the shark by series 6

I unfortunately have to agree with EG.

Despite TNG being the bestest eva! I do enjoy DS9, especially for a binge as you start to get the story arc flowing. VOY is good once you hit Scorpion pt1 new writters + 7of9 oh yes.

I've been watching Dusk till Dawn the series and that is quite enjoyable.

Also DS9 is at least 4 better than Babylon 5.

Currently I am watching Battle Star, I blame EG and her Stockhoff adoration.

DS9 has some good arcs then they'd ruin the flow with the morality episodes they just shove in there.
The Tribble episode is still the greatest Star Trek of all time.

I've seen a few of the BSG remake and now need the boxset :D

eldargal
06-18-2014, 02:00 AM
Buffy seasons 6-7 were a bit weird at times, 6 had some amazing episodes though. So did 7, just also weirdness.

Never actually cared for Babylon 5. I didn't dislike it but I didn't love it.

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 02:56 AM
B5 is ace cakes. But......you have to watch it all, every episode, until the end of the Shadow War. Seriously. The plot is that interwoven. Can't say more. Spoilers.

DS9 is my fave Star Trek. I like the more static setting, and the way they develop the characters.

BSG is equally awesome, though goes a bit wibbly in the last season (blame the writer's strike!)

And seriously folks, do check out Space : Above and Beyond. Effects have aged somewhat, but no worse than Babylon 5. Acting and that is good. Shame it only lasted one season.

OH, and the old fall back - Dr Who. Loveitloveitloveitloveitloveit! Much nerd, very wow.

Psychosplodge
06-18-2014, 03:02 AM
They're showing farscape on Pick(freeview 11) weekdays at 7. Now there's some scifi silliness :D

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 03:05 AM
Never 'got' Farscape first time around, but it's up on Netflix or Lovefilm (can't remember which), and yeah. I have a new found appreciation.

And let us not forget the Stargate saga. Not everyone's taste, but defo my taste. I loves it. Mostly because Jack. He's ace.

If I have to say 'what?' one more time, I swear I am going to shoot you

Psychosplodge
06-18-2014, 03:17 AM
Yeah they're running through SG1 straight after at 8:00 :D

DarkLink
06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Never 'got' Farscape first time around, but it's up on Netflix or Lovefilm (can't remember which), and yeah. I have a new found appreciation.

And let us not forget the Stargate saga. Not everyone's taste, but defo my taste. I loves it. Mostly because Jack. He's ace.

Are you sure that's a stargate quote ;)?

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Yup!

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-18-2014, 10:43 AM
My taste is more Hard sci-fi and cosmic horror for the most part -

Doctor Who (Audiodramas) - If you want Modern dr who that is more serious and plot-driven stuff and theres absolutely tons of them - managed to convert a lot of people who otherwise hate the tv series. I've especially liked the ones with the "Eminence" in them, finally a fresh/new villain that is actually good for once. Some faves are "The Assassination Games", "Prisoners of Fate", "Dark Eyes 1 and 2", "The Seeds of War", "Protect and Survive", "The Jupiter Conjunction", "Davros", "Lurkers at Sunlights Edge", "A Death in the Family", "The Nowhere Place", "Night Thoughts", "Neverland" and "Sword of Orion".

Fave TV sci-fi's I feel are worth a go :

Star Cops - An old BBC series. It only lasted 9 episodes but it is Hard Sci-fi with intelligent plots and good characters. The "futuristic" crimes were quite imaginative and interesting.

Sapphire & Steel - Trippy, weird and strangely nightmarish - P.J. Hammond's unique take on time travel sci-fi is closer to M.R. James ghost stories.

The Outer Limits (both versions) - An awesome anthology series. Intelligent sci-fi stories, with some of them written by real sci-fi writers like Harlan Ellison, Larry Niven ect

Planetes - A rarity in many respect's it is hard sci-fi in anime form! It's technology is very believable and realistic with great characters.

Moonbase 3 - Another old BBC series written by Dr who writers Terrance Dicks and Barry Letts - that wanted to do something more realistic and believable despite being so dated and old. The characters are all really good. It's only 6 episodes long too, but it might be boring to a lot of people. I dug it though

Steins;Gate - Another anime, really awesome and intense take on time travel that reminds me of the movie "Primer".

Blakes7 - A lot of modern stuff owes their influence to B7 - especially Firefly and BSG. Personally I feel B7 is a superior series and Avon is one of the best characters in sci-fi in general. Very gritty, it is like the "anti star trek". Oh, and that last episode must of been shocking for it's time.

DarkLink
06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Planetes was very good. Garbage collectors in space doesn't sound interesting, but execution is more important than a fancy sales pitch.

Harley
06-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Babylon 5 was amazing. I have the entire series on dvd. I also enjoyed Crusade. It was probably better than DS9 or Farscape, just less accessible.

I'm sorry, I just can't agree with Buffy or Dr. Who. They are trendy nerd stuff, like Supernatural or Big Bang Theory... sorry I just can't get into something that screams "Look at me, I'm nerdy, isn't that cool? Please look at me? Please?"

Mr Mystery
06-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Also have all of Supernatural so far.....on Bluray no less.

Though I do have all Dr Who from Pertwee to the latest episode...

Wildeybeast
06-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Babylon 5 was amazing. I have the entire series on dvd. I also enjoyed Crusade. It was probably better than DS9 or Farscape, just less accessible.

I'm sorry, I just can't agree with Buffy or Dr. Who. They are trendy nerd stuff, like Supernatural or Big Bang Theory... sorry I just can't get into something that screams "Look at me, I'm nerdy, isn't that cool? Please look at me? Please?"

I agree with you that Big Bang is trying to be nerdy (though that is the point of the show) and the new Dr Who does show off somewhat, but not Buffy. That isn't Whedon trying to be nerdy, it's just who he is.

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-18-2014, 02:44 PM

I know what you mean - I'm not a fan of the "hipster geek" thing either but Classic who is not at all like that - 1960's, early 70's and 80's Dr who was good stuff, I cannot stand the modern series at all. Try watching some of the William Hartnell era Historicals like "The Aztecs" or the 1980's Christopher H Bidmead stories like "Logopolis" and "Castrovalva".

Agreed on babylon5 though, Vorlons and Shadows were pretty awesome and they made a little more effort with the science than other shows. Even the human-stand-in's were at least well written characters. Never got why people bashed b5.

DarkLink
06-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Especially since some of the big bang theory characters are basically the nerd equvalent of stuck up high school jocks, and sheldon is the quarterback who bullies people he views as inferior to him. Sure, it's played for laughs, but it's kind of ironic when you think about it. Not a big fan myself, either. At least it demonstrates that there is more to being intelligent than being really good at math.

Darren Richardson
06-19-2014, 01:14 AM
Doctor Who (Audiodramas) - If you want Modern dr who that is more serious and plot-driven stuff and theres absolutely tons of them - managed to convert a lot of people who otherwise hate the tv series. I've especially liked the ones with the "Eminence" in them, finally a fresh/new villain that is actually good for once. Some faves are "The Assassination Games", "Prisoners of Fate", "Dark Eyes 1 and 2", "The Seeds of War", "Protect and Survive", "The Jupiter Conjunction", "Davros", "Lurkers at Sunlights Edge", "A Death in the Family", "The Nowhere Place", "Night Thoughts", "Neverland" and "Sword of Orion".

add Cuddlesome to that list, Cute has never been so unpleasent, also look up the mini-series for UNIT and Dalek Empire, well worth a listen to.

The Outer Limits (both versions) - An awesome anthology series. Intelligent sci-fi stories, with some of them written by real sci-fi writers like Harlan Ellison, Larry Niven ect

The original is quite dated to watch these days, the later 90's series was very well written for the most part and well acted to, for the most part, I think the daftest 90's episode I can recall was the one about the alien which inhabits a young women who then kills men with sex!

Blakes7 - A lot of modern stuff owes their influence to B7 - especially Firefly and BSG. Personally I feel B7 is a superior series and Avon is one of the best characters in sci-fi in general. Very gritty, it is like the "anti star trek". Oh, and that last episode must of been shocking for it's time.

Best Series Finallie EVER!

Psychosplodge
06-19-2014, 01:20 AM
Are you sure that's a stargate quote ;)?

Sounds very Jack O'Neil

Keep in mind The Big Bang Theory is to geek culture what 50 shades of grey was to the BDSM community.
Its become almost painful to watch but like a car accident you can't look away.

eldargal
06-19-2014, 01:24 AM
New Who is certainly has its problems. Old Who is classic undiluted geek though.

Mr Mystery
06-19-2014, 03:06 AM
Time for another quote......

Oh I don't know, what's the point in being grown up if you can't be chidlish from time to time

I strongly recommend people seek out the original stuff of Dr Who and give it a bash. Yes, the effects are ropey, as are on occasion the plots. Just bear in mind when it was made, and the absolute shoe string budget, and appreciate what they managed to churn out. Superior to Star Trek in every possible way!

Darren Richardson
06-19-2014, 04:14 AM
Time for another quote......

I strongly recommend people seek out the original stuff of Dr Who and give it a bash. Yes, the effects are ropey, as are on occasion the plots. Just bear in mind when it was made, and the absolute shoe string budget, and appreciate what they managed to churn out. Superior to Star Trek in every possible way!

Amen to that!

DarkLink
06-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Sounds very Jack O'Neil

I was joking about them ripping off Pulp Fiction: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/say-what-again

Mr Mystery
06-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Footie tonight - Time for me to pick up Supernatural again. Disc 3, Season 5.

Lovely.

Psychosplodge
06-19-2014, 08:15 AM
I was joking about them ripping off Pulp Fiction: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/say-what-again

Doh, I should have realised that

Harley
06-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Have been watching all of X-files lately. Great show except I can't stand Sculley's family. She and Mulder are terrible FBI agents though, leaving so many loose ends in all their cases... It's funny watching them now since so many of their actions would land them in prison with the post 911 climate towards whistle blowers and leaks.

Mr Mystery
06-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Really liked Episodic era X-Files. Ongoing conspiracy era, not so much (though every season has excellent episodes)

Darren Richardson
06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
stopped watching the X-files after season two, season 3 was really weak, and I just stopped watching, never did finish watching season 3.