PDA

View Full Version : Cypher: At What Point Does He Become Competitive?

Caitsidhe
06-12-2014, 07:43 PM
I have been reading the dataslate on Cypher and giving him some serious thought. Most of the people reviewing release have said he is uber-cool from a fluff perspective, but don't consider him competitive. My own view is somewhat more nuanced. I believe (theory only so far) that he is competitive, an excellent selection in fact in the right size game. Likewise, he brings more to some armies than others. The following facts can't really be argued against:

1. He is expensive.
2. Using his Fallen Champions Formation is even more expensive.
3. The Hit & Run he provides any unit he joins (Shrouding is nice too) is really handy.
4. The Infiltrate he brings to the table both on himself and with his special Chosen is potent when handled correctly.

Coming in at a 190 points for himself (not to mention Chosen costs) you have to really weigh the fact that he is squishy and has only moderate offensive power. Let's not mince words. Huron only costs 160 and he also gives some units Infiltrate, not to mention the fact that he is wicked solid in combat. What it comes down to is options. Certain units (and death stars) really profit by having Shrouded and Hit & Run.

My considered opinion is that he brings the most to a Chaos Space Marine (whatever book) army. He can provide And They Shall Know No Fear, and that is no small affair. He brings back Outflanking Chosen and I believe that in 7th Edition where so much abusive things are a "go" that parking lots and gun lines will be back with a vengeance. An Outflanking Chosen unit armed to the teeth with Melta was always my great equalizer back in 5th Edition. I'm thinking that the lowest point game I would ever put him in is 1850, but I still think that is two low to get the most out of him. I think he comes into his own at 2K+ and his Formation (for CSM) becomes an auto-include for tactical reasons, although I would always take the minimum formation.

lobster-overlord
06-12-2014, 07:46 PM
11 years ago.