PDA

View Full Version : Which 500pt List for a 40k Combat Patrol Tournament; Grey Knights Or Imp Guard?

Proiteus
06-10-2014, 07:07 AM
I'm looking to attend a 500pt Combat Patrol Tournament next month which has the following restrictions…

Only one Troop choice is compulsory. Troops 2-6 are optional.
You may have one HQ choice, but no more than one.
You may select one choice each from Elite, Fast attack and Heavy Support but no more
Vehicle Squadrons may not number more than 1 vehicle – No unit may exceed
Only 1 detachment (no allies etc)
No Lords of Wars, Fortifications or Formations -
No model can have more than 2 Wounds
No special characters.
No 2+ saves
& No vehicles with a total Armour value greater than 34.

At first I was thinking of taking a guard patrol force...

85 – Veteran Squad: 3 Grenade Launchers and Autocannon
65 – Chimera: Multi-laser & Heavy Bolter

85 – Veteran Squad: 3 Grenade Launchers and Autocannon
65 – Chimera: Multi-laser & Heavy Bolter

135 – Devildog or 131 – Carapace Armoured Veteran Squad: Sgt with Boltgun, 3 Plasma Guns

65 – Wyvern

However after finding out the tournament has no objectives on the boards and is essentially running Kill Point games I’m thinking going full mech to be an option, with the devildog providing suitable anti-tank and anti-MEQ instead of the carapace/plasma veterans. I'd go with a Banewolf but after 6th they're too easy to catch and destroy in close quarters due to it's short range.

Another option I'm considering is a Grey Knights force as they're much more durable than guard and a good all rounder with the majority armed with power weapons and storm bolters, with the dreadnought included I also have an excellent defence against psychic powers in case of any daemon opponents. Of course the main weakness is it's small numbers?

255 – 10 Man Strike Squad: 2 Psycannons, 1 Hammer, Psybolt Ammo and Justicar with Halberd

110 – 5 Man Strike Squad: 1 Psycannon

135 – Dreadnought: 2 TL Autocannons and Psybolt Ammo

So which list do you think is the best option to take to the tournament?

Harley
06-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Seems like Heldrakes will annihilate most other lists since you can't even take an aegis for anti air :/

Caitsidhe
06-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Seems like Heldrakes will annihilate most other lists since you can't even take an aegis for anti air :/

Yep. With these limitations it would be a field day for a Dragon.

Proiteus
06-10-2014, 05:56 PM
1 Dragon on a 48" by 48" should be... manageable but still that's a scary prospect especially for my grey knight list.

Caitsidhe
06-10-2014, 06:20 PM
1 Dragon on a 48" by 48" should be... manageable but still that's a scary prospect especially for my grey knight list.

<laughs> I like your optimism. Let me put it another way, with those restrictions, "it is a good day to be a bad guy." On a 48x48" table you have no where to hide. The dragon is guaranteed to be on you the second it comes on the board. If you are already cracked from whatever can you start the game in, the game is over. If it has to, it will drop into hover on the 2nd Turn and end whatever you have left. :D It won't be forced to fly off the board or have any trouble getting to you. The lack of the 2+ save makes the Dragon king. Take a Mortis Pattern Contemptor. That is about the best advice I can give.

Harley
06-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Do your self a favor and bring a 2 inch template so you can spread your models out as much as coherency allows. This will mitigate the burning sensation as your nether regions pass the searing load of Baleflamer you are about to experience.

Proiteus
06-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Yeah that was kinda of my tactic when it was mentioned, if faced with such a monster I'd combat squad the larger unit and spread them out so only 1 with be burned upon arrival leaving the dreadnought and the other units to fire upon it.