PDA

View Full Version : Grey Hunters and "Free" Special Weapons

Cryl
01-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I've always understood this to mean that taking any primary special weapon for the cost allows you to take any secondary special weapon, so taking a flamer as your first one allows any secondary one from flamer, melta or plasma for free.

This is also the way that it's implemented in the Army Builder datafile, granted that doesn't make it true but it does support the thinking above.

optimusjedi
01-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I am new to the hobby and am working on my Space Wolves army (those novels got me hooked on 40k!). In the codex it says that a Grey Hunter squad may take a flamer for free (nice!). Now it also states that if the Grey Hunter squad may take a second special weapon for free if the squad numbers 10 models. Now I am going by the recently released FAQ that this is Grey Hunter models only (no Wolf Guard included yet).

So can I then take say a meltagun for free as well? In the FAQ it says that a Grey Hunter squad must take the first weapon choice "at normal points cost".

So I guess the real question is does this work like buying something at the store (Oh yes, the second DVD is free but the first DVD is always the more expensive one, i.e. I buy a $20 DVD and the $5 one is free). Or may I take the flamer as my first choice and then also get a meltagun for free as well?

Thanks everyone!

Cryl
01-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Sorry double post... I blame the "wait 30 seconds" thing

DarkLink
01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
You only get one special weapon. You buy one for the normal cost. Then, if you have a 10-man squad (not counting Wolf Guard), you get a second weapon for free.

Yeah, the 30 second reply is annoying...

Ordo
01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
i usually just take doubles in my squads two flamers then two meltaguns. but i think if your taking say a melta and a flamer then it all depends i guess on what u pick first. but i think you do have to pay for the melta and then take the flamer for free.

rle68
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
i usually just take doubles in my squads two flamers then two meltaguns. but i think if your taking say a melta and a flamer then it all depends i guess on what u pick first. but i think you do have to pay for the melta and then take the flamer for free.

where do you get that from? if i take my first weapon as a flamer which is free then add up to 10 i get any wepaon in that range for free as well... if you have anything that says you must spend points please point that out...

Ordo
01-16-2010, 05:48 PM
i think. i dont know i only ever say i spent the points cuz my friends calways complain saying that im getting a flamer free then getting something else that would cost points free. otherwise i take my list as flamer then melta

rle68
01-16-2010, 09:29 PM
yeah hes right you are getting them for free :) thats his problem not yours if you want 2 meltas then yeah you pay for one if you want flammer and melta then no you dont.. its real simple :) he dont have to like it but he has to deal with it :)

DarkLink
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
yeah hes right you are getting them for free :) thats his problem not yours if you want 2 meltas then yeah you pay for one if you want flammer and melta then no you dont.. its real simple :) he dont have to like it but he has to deal with it :)

Generally speaking, smilies don't count as punctuation:p.

Cryl
01-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Maybe they should... counts as is fine as long as everyone know what it is. Maybe if he'd used different ones for full stops and commas...

on another note is this 30 second thing going away anytime soon or at least going to 30 traditional length seconds rather than the very long ones BoLS uses right now?

DarkLink
01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
on another note is this 30 second thing going away anytime soon or at least going to 30 traditional length seconds rather than the very long ones BoLS uses right now?

Well, apparently the whole issue is a result of a bug in some of the anti-spam software, so hopefully it gets fixed soon.

rle68
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Sppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppptttttttttttttt tttttt! hahaha