PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Tau Empire

RedSoloCup
06-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Hey Everyone. This is my first Army List post, or any post for that matter here. I am working on building a Tau Empire list and have been constantly working with it on paper and play testing with proxy models here and there. My playtest opponent is a lot like myself, in that neither of us ever really complain do to the "cheese factor" of an army list. We just build list that we like and play them; however, I like to have fun games where I stand a good chance at winning but have not brought a list that causes my opponent to not enjoy the game.

That being said, I dont have much experience in current 40K since my last game was in 5th Edition. I have been a Fantasy player only for the past few years. I picked up the 7th Edition Rules, the Tau Empire Codex, and the Farsight Enclave Supplement (not sure if I plan to use it much or at all yet). Below is the list I have compiled. Some things are in the list just because I like the idea/story behind it (such as Darkstrider and his unit of Pathfinders). I plan to attach my non-weaponized Commander to the Broadsides for Markerlight control.

As you critique/comment on the list, please be candid with the "cheesiness" of the list as well, like I said I want both sides to have fun; however, I don't want to just give games away. If I get outplayed or the dice just don't go my way, I don't mind loosing, but not because I just couldn't win.

Thanks for your input.
Justin

Tau Empire - 1850 (exactly)

HQ
Commander
Drone Controller
Vectored Retro-thrusters
Stimulant Injector
Command and Control Node
Puretide Engram Neurochip
Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite
Iridium Armor
Marker Drone

Darkstrider

ELITE
1 Riptide
Early Warning Override
Velocity Tracker
Ion Accelerator
Twin Fusion Blasters

3 Crisis Suits
Shas’vre
2 Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster
2 Missile Pod
1 Twin-Linked Missile Pod
1 Vectored Retro Thruster

TROOP
12 Fire Warriors
Shas'ui
Marker Light and Target Lock
2 Gun Drones

12 Fire Warriors
Shas'ui
Marker Light and Target Lock
2 Gun Drones

FAST
10 Pathfinders
Shas’ui
Recon Drone
Grav-inhibitor Drone
Pulse Accelerator Drone
3 Rail Rifles
6 Gun Drones

HEAVY
3 Broadsides
3 High Yield Missile Pod
3 Smart Missile System
3 Seeker Missiles
3 Target Locks
6 Marker Drones

1 Sky Ray
Twin-Linked Smart Missile System
6 Seeker Missiles
Black Sun Filter
Sensor Spines
Disruption Pod

1 Sky Ray
6 Seeker Missiles
Black Sun Filter
Sensor Spines
Disruption Pod

bobaldinho
06-09-2014, 09:37 AM
i've not been using tau for too long myself, managed half a dozen or so battles so far, but what i have learned is that without marker lights they become pretty ordinary, and with no psykers at all you now miss out on a whole phase, so you relly do need them.

i'd cut down on the PF squad, 10 is a bit too many (ML tokens tend to get wasted), i find 6-8 a good number, and as MLs are heavy it could restrict the ability of the rail rifles to get into a good shooting position. if you want to run darkstrider (havent tried it myself yet but the -1T against the oppo does sound good) then i think it would make a bit more sense to have a dedicated squad for ML shots and another squad for him that is more likely to be moving and shooting carbines or rifles.

also i'm not sure about having 6 ML drones in with the Broadsides, they won't be able to benefit from those MLs, it makes a HUGE difference when you can get all those missiles hitting on 2+ rather than 4+! i did try a non shooting commander in with crisis squad+ML drones but it seemed a waste of his BS5 when you can markers elsewhere, i have found that his shooting can be out to better use.

having tried various loadouts on the crisis team i tend to stick with two plasma rifles (not twin linked) as you can get some awsome results when deepstriking within 12 inches of a unit, last game i removed a squad of 5 Thousand Sons marines in one go with three crisis suits (ML assisted)

just a few thoughts and i'd be interested to hear of any good combo's oyu find.

RedSoloCup
06-09-2014, 02:28 PM
@bobaldinho: Thanks for the excellent comments. I am going to posting an updated version of this list later today. Your notes will definitely be utilized.

RedSoloCup
06-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Ok guys. I have gotten it down to a list I am pretty happy with. Used advice from here and a few other sources to make modifications.

First off: Removed Drone Controller from the commander. It was of no use, since I changed to Missile Drones on the Broadsides.

Second: I changed the load-outs on the crisis suits. Giving each one two plasma rifles (not twin-linked) and one VRT.

Third: Dropped Kroot hounds and 1 Kroot. Just needed to free up some extra points.

Fourth: A big change here, I have split up the pathfinder squad. The smaller unit, loaded with rail rifles will be joined by Darkstrider. The other will provide Marker light support.

Fifth: I decided to go with the Piranhas over the fighter in the last fast attack slot.

Last Change: Gave one Braodside a heavy rail rifle, and changed to Missile drones.

I am going to play test this list today and see how it plays and if there are any major holes or things I don't like. From most of my feed back it doesn't seem like the list is too cheesy, which I'm happy about. I'll report back later this evening.

Tau Empire – 1749

HQ
Commander
Command and Control Node
Puretide Engram Neurochip
Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite
Vectored Retro Thrusters
Iridium Armor

Darkstrider

ELITE
1 Riptide
Early Warning Override
Velocity Tracker
Ion Accelerator
Twin Fusion Blasters

3 Crisis Suits
6 Plasma Rifles
1 Vectored Retro Thruster

TROOP
10 Fire Warriors

10 Fire Warriors

14 Kroot

FAST
4 Pathfinders
3 Rail Rifles

6 Pathfinders
Shas’ui
2 Marker Drones

3 Piranha
3 Seeker Missiles
3 Sensor Spines
3 Black Sun Filters
3 Disruption Pod

HEAVY
3 Broadsides
2 w/
Twin-Linked HYMP
Seeker Missiles
Target Locks
1 w/
Heavy Rail Rifle
Seeker Missile
Target Lock
6 Missile Drones

1 Sky Ray
6 Seeker Missiles
Black Sun Filter
Sensor Spines
Disruption Pod

O'Moros
09-28-2014, 11:51 PM
How was your first game with this list? Personally i would have used a very different loadout especially on the broadsides.

Bear73
10-09-2014, 10:04 AM
On your second draft it reads "1749" Mistake? I assume that its 1849pts. Anyway, that aside;
Are you still planning to link your commander with the broadsides? Cause I was thinking you may be able to split them up. With the rail making up his own unit, then you could save on target locks and give a different support system. Also, idk if I would take marker drones instead of more pathfinders, but that's up to you. I might also add a positional relay if you plan to outflank with your kroot, or just add one hound back.
Also, I don't play much, so take these as suggestions only