PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids: boneswords & instant death

sjap98
06-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Hi,
a question.
Boneswords have the Instant Death on a to Wound roll of 6.

If my Tyranid Warrior (Strength 4) with boneswords is fighting an an opponent that he normally couldn't possibly wound (Toughness 9) does he:

1) Always wounds on a roll of 6 (in spite of the Toughness of 9), and then the opponent's model suffers Instant Death if that wound is not saved.

2) can't wound at all, period. (because strength 4 can't wound Toughness 9), and there's no point in rolling to wound anyway..?

This came up, and I thought a six auto-wounded, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Take care,
Sjap.

Captain Bubonicus
06-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Instant death requires there to be an unsaved wound to take effect - there's no "auto-wound" clause, unfortunately.

Tynskel
06-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Instant death requires there to be an unsaved wound to take effect - there's no "auto-wound" clause, unfortunately.

If you want to 'auto wound' with Boneswords, you gotta add in the Toxin Sacs.
Would still need to wound on a 6 for the instant death, but the Toxin Sacs turn that into a true wound.

John Bower
06-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Actually I would dispute that; for the simple fact that Boneswords don't stipulate they don't wound. It simply says "On a To Wound roll of 6 they cause instant death", where in that sentence does it stipulate you have to be 'able' to wound at all? Don't forget these things aren't just a weapon like the marines/guard et. al. have, they are in their own right living organisms symbiotically linked to the creature wielding them.

Varou Graou
06-07-2014, 11:48 PM
where in that sentence does it stipulate you have to be 'able' to wound at all?
In the "Instand Death" USR

Varou Graou
06-07-2014, 11:53 PM
where in that sentence does it stipulate you have to be 'able' to wound at all?
In the "Instant Death" USR text, as Cap Bubonicus said, instant death applies on an unsaved wound (by its own rule) but if you can't wound there will be no unsaved wounds.
Just sequential logic.

DarkLink
06-08-2014, 01:48 AM
Yeah, Instant Death isn't a special rule that lets you just pick an enemy model and say "it's dead". You still have to actually put a wound on it.

John Bower
06-08-2014, 05:04 AM
Aren't you forgetting something quite important here by GW own ruling? "Codex Trumps rulebook".

Basically any rule in a codex supercedes a similar rule in the BRB. And it's not like that would be OP, the tyranids don't have much in the way of teeth now.

Path Walker
06-08-2014, 05:13 AM
Aren't you forgetting something quite important here by GW own ruling? "Codex Trumps rulebook".

Basically any rule in a codex supercedes a similar rule in the BRB. And it's not like that would be OP, the tyranids don't have much in the way of teeth now.

You're basing that on your definition of "instant death" and not on them having the USER Instant Death. There is a quote in the Ork codex that says "Orks are never beaten in battle", does that mean an Ork player can never lose a game?

Charon
06-08-2014, 05:21 AM
There is no "instant death" rule in the tyranid rulebook to trump the instant dead USR from the rulebook. Tyranid rules refer to the brb USR, so you go with the USR.

Tynskel
06-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Codex Trumps Rulebook if there is a rules conflict.
There is no rules conflict here.

"Any To Wound roll of a 6 made by this weapon has the Instant Death special rule."
You haven't wounded anything, it just says that a '6' on the die has 'Instant Death'.
Ex.
If you are T4, and I am Str4 and armed with a Powerfist. I roll a 1 to wound you. I still cause Instant Death, because my str is 2x your T. Howevereverevevereverever, I still have to "inflict" a wound on you for you to suffer Instant Death.

John Bower
06-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Codex Trumps Rulebook if there is a rules conflict.
There is no rules conflict here.

"Any To Wound roll of a 6 made by this weapon has the Instant Death special rule."
You haven't wounded anything, it just says that a '6' on the die has 'Instant Death'.
Ex.
If you are T4, and I am Str4 and armed with a Powerfist. I roll a 1 to wound you. I still cause Instant Death, because my str is 2x your T. Howevereverevevereverever, I still have to "inflict" a wound on you for you to suffer Instant Death.

Tbh it doesn't really matter much anyway; most of the toughest stuff is T8, which he can wound on a 6 anyway. But sorry it doesn't say it has to wound, it only says a 'roll' of 6 is ID. That would be in conflict with the BRB as you don't need to wound to roll a 6 on a dice. A power fist is different as it just doubles your strength, whole world of difference. You're probly right as even D weapons don't live up to their name anymore. :(

sjap98
06-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Okay guys and gals,
Thank you very much or taking the time to respond to my rule question.
You have convinced me to believe that there needs to be a possibility to wound in the first place.
Thanks John Bower for taking my side on this subject!
Take care y'all.

Tynskel
06-08-2014, 10:55 AM
You're basing that on your definition of "instant death" and not on them having the USER Instant Death. There is a quote in the Ork codex that says "Orks are never beaten in battle", does that mean an Ork player can never lose a game?

Like many people who read the rules on BoLS are omitting half of the quotation. If you remember the second half says that running away doesn't count and dying is okay cus it was in battle.

In the ork's mind they don't ever lose. That doesn't mean that they automatically accomplished anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Tbh it doesn't really matter much anyway; most of the toughest stuff is T8, which he can wound on a 6 anyway. But sorry it doesn't say it has to wound, it only says a 'roll' of 6 is ID. That would be in conflict with the BRB as you don't need to wound to roll a 6 on a dice. A power fist is different as it just doubles your strength, whole world of difference. You're probly right as even D weapons don't live up to their name anymore. :(

Again. This is a misinterpretation. There's nothing in the bone sword rule that says you have wounded. You just get instant death on a six. The instant death rule is where it says you met have wounded.

Path Walker
06-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Like many people who read the rules on BoLS are omitting half of the quotation. If you remember the second half says that running away doesn't count and dying is okay cus it was in battle.

In the ork's mind they don't ever lose. That doesn't mean that they automatically accomplished anything.

It was kind of a joke, sorry!