PDA

View Full Version : What scale size are warhammer 40k models?

NayM
06-07-2014, 04:06 AM
O-scale, N-scale, HO-scale....? There are some really nice trees available at model train stores and online sites that are cheaper than GW terrain pieces that I've seen, and being that I'm historically horrible at making trees by hand, this seems like a viable option. Just wondering what scale I should consider?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/35/smile.gif

-Tom-
06-07-2014, 09:54 AM
O-scale, N-scale, HO-scale....? There are some really nice trees available at model train stores and online sites that are cheaper than GW terrain pieces that I've seen, and being that I'm historically horrible at making trees by hand, this seems like a viable option. Just wondering what scale I should consider?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/35/smile.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact scale... bearing in mind that 40k is set out in the galaxy and so could be on an alien planet that isn't Earth, where gravity may be lower than on Earth, it may be the case that trees would tend to grow bigger.

Pssyche
06-07-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm currently making a woodland board and have just bought some trees for it.
So you might want to check out a company caled Noch, who make Railway Scenery.
I've just bought two sets of their trees.
They are OO/HO Scale and there's 25 trees in each set and they range between 60-150mm.
The packs I've got are a set of Spruce Trees and a set of Deciduous Trees.
They've cost me £38 for the 50.
They are identical to the trees GW used to sell before the plastic monstrosity came along.
Except that GW charged roughly £3 per tree and that was some twelve years ago.

The set numbers are Noch 26325 and Noch 26306.

The "proper" Scale for 40K is probably O Scale, but I wanted some Woodland Scenery not a mortgage.

This Dave
06-07-2014, 01:25 PM
40K figures are called "heroic" 28mm which is closer to 32mm. I've found that 1/35 scale vehicle models match rather well. O-scale scenery other than buildings usually looks decent with them.

Dave Mcturk
06-09-2014, 04:23 AM
40K figures are called "heroic" 28mm which is closer to 32mm. I've found that 1/35 scale vehicle models match rather well. O-scale scenery other than buildings usually looks decent with them.

the problem with gw scaling is playing on a 6ft by 4ft board with playing card size terrain pieces, at true scale a small group of trees should be at least 12 square inches. a decent sized 'wood' probably half the table! we are going to experiment at xmas with playing on 12' by 6' table with 'real' scale terrain. we might do some adjustment to weapons ranges; ie can fire double distance at half bs or some such - with extra cover saves?

its kind of crazy when buildings arent much bigger than land raiders! and as for the 'level' playing tables ... most batreps i see have absolutely no third dimension. even deserts have hills!

Wolfshade
06-09-2014, 04:35 AM
Didn't you realise most games are played on terrain ressembling Palmyra Atoll

Arkhan Land
06-09-2014, 07:40 AM
I got one of the woodland scenics three types tree bags (unassembled with three different color flock) and there was enough variety of tree size in there to satisfy me they come from less than an inch two inches, I used about a dozen of the larger to medium ones un-flocked, dead looking, came out great

Dave Mcturk
06-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Didn't you realise most games are played on terrain ressembling Palmyra Atoll

ha ha. lol. brightened my day! :D