PDA

View Full Version : How thin....

Denzark
01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Is the straight line for JOTWW?

Because if too thin this will actualy be quite ineffectual unless you enfilade like a good'un and the enemy is a weakling...

Discuss.

gilbert93dt
01-14-2010, 05:33 PM
It should be a "line", and therefore it should not have any relevant thickness at all. People I game with just use the side of their ruler/yard stick.

Squirrel_Fish
01-14-2010, 05:50 PM
The FAQ says that the line should be a "hairline". I've always just turned the ruler on the side and used that to gauge what models have to take tests.

Ymir
01-14-2010, 06:24 PM
The FAQ also says they just turn the tape measure on it's side. This is the simplest way....plus it is covered in the FAQ. Nuff said!

BuFFo
01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Is the straight line for JOTWW?

Because if too thin this will actualy be quite ineffectual unless you enfilade like a good'un and the enemy is a weakling...

Seriously?

Discuss.

No, not really.

Even before the SW FAQ that gives you what a 'line' is, you already knew what a line is.

This has got to be one of the flat out stupidest 'rule' question I have EVER heard in my 22 years of 40k gaming.

Yeah, I sound like a prick in this post. Good. :mad:

SeattleDV8
01-15-2010, 12:40 AM
DAMN YOU . Buffo you prick.... oh by the way you are also 100% correct...heh

Denzark
01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Seriously?

No, not really.

Even before the SW FAQ that gives you what a 'line' is, you already knew what a line is.

This has got to be one of the flat out stupidest 'rule' question I have EVER heard in my 22 years of 40k gaming.

This has got to be one of the flat out most accurate self assessments I have EVER heard in my 20 years of 40K gaming.

BuFFo
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
This has got to be one of the flat out most accurate self assessments I have EVER heard in my 20 years of 40K gaming.

Thank you :)

Denzark
01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
But seriously, I didn't explain - I know what a line is. I know what a straight line is. However, the best example of what I mean is if I turn on microsoft powerpoint and draw a straight line, I can have it between 0.25 point and at least 15 point. The latter if used to measure would give me more potential hits.

Why could the line not have a width of the base of the model? If I remember there was a template for a wierdboy attack from the old 'Ere we go (RT) which was described as a straight line but was base-width.

I didn't clock this on the Faq as I was too interested in Wolf Guards/Scouts both 'BEL-ing' etc - so didin't clock the tape measure on one side piece.

The comments about enfilade are due to the fact that any player worth his salt who has acquainted himself with this power, is not going to parade on his troops in neat lines for maximum effect... So Im not sure the maths hammer makes JOTWW a better choice power for potential cas against some of the other Assault d6 or 3d6 powers - and starting to think maybe Njal is too expensive.

Nabterayl
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah, but PowerPoint doesn't draw lines. It draws very long, skinny rectangles. A "line," without any other descriptors, doesn't exist in enough dimensions to have a width.

Which means you're quite correct that JotWW will not hit many models in most circumstances. The advantage Jaws has over some of the other powers is that you can use it to snipe individual models (because you're removing specific models from play, not allocating wounds), and against some targets its kill math is better than a shooting attack.

DarkLink
01-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah, but PowerPoint doesn't draw lines. It draws very long, skinny rectangles. A "line," without any other descriptors, doesn't exist in enough dimensions to have a width.

Which means you're quite correct that JotWW will not hit many models in most circumstances. The advantage Jaws has over some of the other powers is that you can use it to snipe individual models (because you're removing specific models from play, not allocating wounds), and against some targets its kill math is better than a shooting attack.

Right. A line is an infinitely thing, two dimensional vector. It doesn't have a thickness.

Ymir
01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
OMG........why are we talking about power point and other crap about this. The official FAQ http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m800008a_FAQ_SpaceWolves_2009
says that you take that magical tape measure and turn it on it's side.....there is no need to take this any further. This is why they release FAQ's because people start talking crap like the width of a dang line.

DarkLink
01-16-2010, 10:55 PM
OMG........why are we talking about power point and other crap about this.

Ummm... free posts for our ranks:o?

Regardless, this is covered in the FAQ as Ymir stated, so there really isn't anything more to discuss.

Squirrel_Fish
01-17-2010, 01:28 AM
I just thought of an easy way to do this. Take a length of string, twine, fishing line, dental floss, or garrote wire that measures 24" long (have your opponent confirm this) and then use it to draw a straight line by pulling it taut.

BuFFo
01-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Ummm... free posts for our ranks:o?

Regardless, this is covered in the FAQ as Ymir stated, so there really isn't anything more to discuss.

Actually, there wasn't anything to discuss BEFORE the FAQ about this topic.

Anything intelligently, anyway.

DarkLink
01-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Then I guess it's just a rank buffer:rolleyes:

Denzark
01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
OMG........why are we talking about power point and other crap about this. The official FAQ http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m800008a_FAQ_SpaceWolves_2009
says that you take that magical tape measure and turn it on it's side.....there is no need to take this any further. This is why they release FAQ's because people start talking crap like the width of a dang line.

Yes thank you. I acknowledged that I hadn't spotted this in the faq a few posts back - in the same way you appear not to have noticed my post stating this. Obviously neither of us are hugely switched on.

You're still posting, though...

Then I guess it's just a rank buffer:rolleyes:

Good work DL nearly hit the magic 1000 so please feel free to respond and tip the balance!!!! +1 +1 +1

BuFFo
01-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Then I guess it's just a rank buffer

LOL

You are my hero :D

You're still posting, though...

1) Your response makes zero sense that what I wrote. :confused:

2) +1

DarkLink
01-17-2010, 04:17 PM
[COLOR="Red"]
Good work DL nearly hit the magic 1000 so please feel free to respond and tip the balance!!!! +1 +1 +1

Sure, why not. You may now address me as Brother Captain :cool:. But only if the 30 second response lets me post:mad:.