PDA

View Full Version : Studio Workshop - How to: Thin Your Paint

UselesswizarD
06-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Welcome back to the Studio Workshop!

This is another video covering a question I hear at every single painting class, painting night, forum, etc. It's an older video, but not one that we've posted here on BoLS yet. Please enjoy the video, and let us know what you think!

This time we're talking about properly thinning your paints for painting miniatures. Properly thinning down your paints prevents too much paint from building up in the details of your miniatures. It also prevents brush strokes from appearing in your final paint job because the thinned down paint levels out over the surface of the mini. Thinning down your paint is an almost universal recommendation, but to what extend you thin it down is not so universal. In this video I'll explain why there's no magic formula for thinning down paint.

As always, I hope you enjoy the video. If you found it to be of use, please like, share and subscribe to our channel

Please sign up for our newsletter to keep up to date on everything we're doing here at Game Face Nation. You can find the sign up here: www.gamefacenation.com

Until next time, get your Game Face on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEbeZGOZMM

clively
06-03-2014, 01:29 PM
The video really starts around the 8:00 minute mark... although you could probably just start at 10:40. I'm not entirely sure why this needed an 8 minute lead up; editing is your friend....

That said, I do appreciate a video showing and describing what the paint should look like. Thanks.

UselesswizarD
06-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The reason the video was edited this way was in fact on purpose. Not everyone learns very well from just watching something. Many, like myself prefer to have the idea and theory behind a concept explained before demonstration so that it's easier to understand what is happening during the demo. I also felt that it was important to explain the "why" behind thinning paint, not just the "how" and "what".