PDA

View Full Version : Summoned Daemons and Objective Secured?

el_tigre
06-01-2014, 11:33 AM
This has probably been covered elsewhere, but I don't have the new rulebook yet and I haven't come across it.

Should units of daemons summoned by psychers from Battleforged lists have objective secured? I only ask as the units summoned aren't technically taken as part of the army list, and that raises the question of whether they should benifit from a special rule which affects units based entirely on how they are organized pre-game.

Also, same question for spawed termagants I guess.

Charon
06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
For the moment they have as it does not matter if they are summoned or not. They are a standard entry, so they are treaded as standard in all regards.

hyudun
06-02-2014, 12:22 AM
I don't think there's a clean resolution to this question in the rulebook for Battle-forged armies.

First off, the answer depends on whether or not the summoned/spawned units counts as being from the same detachment as the unit that summoned/spawned it.

There is no existing rule I can find that would cause the summoned unit, by default, to be considered part of the summoning unit's detachment. Under the description for Conjuration (The Psychic Phase; Types of Psychic Powers), summoned units are simply stated to be scoring units. There are no mention of them being considered part of any detachment. Similarly, no explicit clarification is given under the descriptions for any specific Conjuration psychic powers (e.g. the Daemon-summoning ones). The Tyranid rulebook was written before the concept of "Detachments" even existed, so no luck there either.

There is no other mention for Conjuration, summoning (and it's various conjugations), or "new unit" in the rest of the rulebook.

I personally would play it as NOT counting as part of the detachment (and therefore without Objective Secured). This only comes into conflict with the rule that all units must be organized into detachments for Battle-forged armies.

Whereas playing it the other way (part of the Detachment, with Objective Secured) would come into conflict with the following two rules:
1. The summoned unit may be from a different faction than the summoning unit, therefore breaking the "detachments must be created from units from the same faction"
2. The summoned unit may break the FOC by putting over the limit for certain Battlefield Roles

If your game is about to devolve into shouting and ruined friendships, just roll off on it.

michael79
06-02-2014, 06:41 AM
If your game is about to devolve into shouting and ruined friendships, just roll off on it.

Lol. "Alright listen, on a 4+ we can stay friends..." That's taking the golden rule to a new level.

Joking aside, I agree with this interpretation: Summoned/spawned units are not part of any particular detachment, and therfore gain no additional special rules unless otherwise stated. This also goes for models that replace models, like chaos spawn and greater daemon summoning.