PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer fantasy comp

jamesTFL
01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
I looked through the rules pack and it appears the only comp restriction is on special characters, this may be last years's rules pack but if so is that still the case?

I'd love to come to bolscon, I read the blog and enjoy it, but these comp rules are too minimal for the tournament to be attendable. There are a variety of comp systems out there even the system used at other Texas GTs is better. If you don't like comp judging to effect overall score youcould even employ the European Team Championships comp system that simply has a list of conditions.

Anyway wanted to inquire if I'd looked
at the right system and if so, if there was any chance of the rules being brought in line with the rest of the fantasy community.

L192837465
01-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't understand your point. You're saying there's too little organizer comp?

What you were looking at was the updated version. At the last BOLS, people brought the most devastating lists they could feasibly manage. It was a blast (beer helped).

Just bring an army that's fun, don't play to win or play the system. There will be player comp in the next one, if I'm not mistaken, and even MORE beer.

Jwolf
01-16-2010, 12:00 AM
James,

Our restrictions are very similar to Alamo. I believe that every tournament should be different, not all the same, and BoLSCon is pointed more towards tabletop performance than soft scoring. The major difference in our tournament and the Alamo is that we don't include the painting in the GT scoring, as we have an entirely separate and significant prize pool for the painting competition. If your opponent has brought a particularly eggregious list and made the game unpleasant, our sportsmanship scoring gives you the opportunity to address that.

I'm sad that you consider a tournament unattendable because it doesn't meet your concept of how things should be done, without attending. I'm familiar with the ETC and WPS comp systems, as well as the comp scoring for Alamo, Lonewolf, CCC, and Bayou Battles, and we're doing something different. If you reconsider, you may find that a different experience is a different kind of fun.

jamesTFL
01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
You have a list review committee like alamo? I did not see that listed in the rules. Alamo had some fairly mean lists but nothing too hardcore. The worst being the auto pilot khorne dog list. That was becuase the TO said he wouldn't allow anything to egregious, are you guys doing that as well? If so who is doing list review as you guys (correct me if i'm wrong) are stronger in the 40k side of the game.

If i recall correctly last year the tournement was won by David Bowmann and Jordan Braun going one and two. they both did so with the nastiest demon lists they coudl think of. If the only restriction is no special characters what you are saying is, only bring demons or VC. As a competitive person who does not have those armies, It won't be a new experience for me but rather, a weekend of losses unless i run up against some poor players of the power lists. I guess the solution is to go out and buy some unpainted demons, and rock the cheese.

Just because your tournament places less emphasis on comp than i like doesn't make it a throw away event but, when you Go GT style comp and only ban special characters you are leaving behind years of balancing done by the community. And if you don't knwo just how overpowered a nasty demon list, or a 15 power dice vampire list is, then perhaps you have not encountered some one who is good playing one.

Not intended to start "the great comp debate" again just wanted to know if you were sticking with last years formula or there'd be some additional level of filtering to stop 20pd tzeench demons from winning again.

Jwolf
01-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Last year we gave "wide open" a try. Yes, Bowman brought the Kairos mega-cheese army and won - lesson learned. Jordan played Lizardmen, a list that was a little hard, but the point is to play a little harder than the average IGT. Overall the lists were a little harder than I'd expect to see in an IGT where arbitrary composition scoring makes up a significant percentage of your score, but really only Bowman brought something disgusting.

This year we'll be reviewing lists, in a manner similar to Alamo's review - because I am stealing all of their ideas for WFB, just as they are stealing mine for 40K.

So things will be different at BoLSCon this year, James. I hope to see you there.

jamesTFL
01-29-2010, 03:26 PM
so long as i can get the necessary permissions to wargame two weekends in a row, you shall. I am very intrigued by the swiss matching and great prize support. Now i'm getting all excited.

I think ill bring 3 stegs a slann bunker and skink skirmishers

jmanswrd
02-22-2010, 04:05 AM
You start a whine thread about comp. Then you post that list...Your messed up in the head.

jamesTFL
02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
I was being sarcastical :-). I will probably bring the same list i bring every where, that consistently puts me in the middle on comp, 1 steg, saurus cav, 1 terradons. Nothing too obnoxious.

jamesTFL
07-22-2010, 01:48 PM
This year we'll be reviewing lists, in a manner similar to Alamo's review

so was this done? I know for a fact a certain someone from houston just got a list with a lord of change 3 tzeench heralds 2 units of 5 flamers and a tons of horros got in. He got a sternly worded note, but in a tournament where the difference between bottom comp and top is less than one game, the fact that he "Isn't going to make ay friends" isn't going to be a deterent to this particular person.

The reason I'm asking is because the list mentioned is essentially exactly what bownman brought (taking a LoC instead of kairos), that you earlier said was cheese.

I understand your point about a harder tournament than average but does that just mean bring your stinkiest cheddar or are there some comp limits other than no lord specials and no demon specials at all? If so what lists are they designed to keep out if not this one? Luckily the guy running this list is not very good so i doubt he will win, but still I thought there was a desire to moderate the I win because my demon book is completely out of line with every other book factor.

Jwolf
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
so was this done? I know for a fact a certain someone from houston just got a list with a lord of change 3 tzeench heralds 2 units of 5 flamers and a tons of horros got in. He got a sternly worded note, but in a tournament where the difference between bottom comp and top is less than one game, the fact that he "Isn't going to make ay friends" isn't going to be a deterent to this particular person.

The reason I'm asking is because the list mentioned is essentially exactly what bownman brought (taking a LoC instead of kairos), that you earlier said was cheese.

I understand your point about a harder tournament than average but does that just mean bring your stinkiest cheddar or are there some comp limits other than no lord specials and no demon specials at all? If so what lists are they designed to keep out if not this one? Luckily the guy running this list is not very good so i doubt he will win, but still I thought there was a desire to moderate the I win because my demon book is completely out of line with every other book factor.

Review was done for each list submitted. The list in question is quite hard, but not terribly powerful compared to many other lists, and has some significant weaknesses that strong oppponents will capitalize on. And the list in question isn't nearly Bowman's list, nor is the change from Kairos to Lord of Change a minor one.