PDA

View Full Version : 7th Ed FAQ submission compilation.

Mr Mystery
05-27-2014, 12:35 PM
It's a bit like NOW! Music, but not quite as frequent....

So the (primarily) Errata and FAQ's are up. But not yet for the rulebook.

Time to list our questions I guess. After all, if we can get an organised approach, we might just get an answer*

Kicking off.....

Conjured Flying Monstrous Creatures (via Possession). They're specified as Deep Striking. Does this mean they come on Gliding, or can they come on Swooping? This can make a serious difference to how pokey that power is.

Conjuring in general. This power has a range. Does that mean a unit locked in combat therefore cannot make use of Conjuration? Again, another question with serious implications.

Over to you. Please only try to answer them if you have page references. Our opinions are one thing, but actual existing rule quotations are quite another.

*Remember, this does not necessarily mean the answer you actually want or expect!

Buddhist_Possum
05-27-2014, 01:08 PM
It's a bit like NOW! Music, but not quite as frequent....

So the (primarily) Errata and FAQ's are up. But not yet for the rulebook.

Time to list our questions I guess. After all, if we can get an organised approach, we might just get an answer*

Kicking off.....

Conjured Flying Monstrous Creatures (via Possession). They're specified as Deep Striking. Does this mean they come on Gliding, or can they come on Swooping? This can make a serious difference to how pokey that power is.

Conjuring in general. This power has a range. Does that mean a unit locked in combat therefore cannot make use of Conjuration? Again, another question with serious implications.

Over to you. Please only try to answer them if you have page references. Our opinions are one thing, but actual existing rule quotations are quite another.

*Remember, this does not necessarily mean the answer you actually want or expect!

The Flying Monterous Creature question is answered: Pg.68 - Deployment

I don't see anything preventing Psykers from casting all of the different types of powers in melee.

Mr Mystery
05-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Good spot on the Deployment. Cheers dude (may have already asked GW...) Has left we with the mental impression of the Possessing Daemon running out of the Warp, still pulling it's trousers on, trailing bog roll. But clear rule is clear!

Witchfires you would assume they can't as they're sort of a shooting attack. It's more there's nothing said either way that I want it clarified, rather than trying to justify a particular reading of my own :)

DarkLink
05-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Can ics with infiltrate join a unit that doesn't have infiltrate and still infiltrate.

40kGamer
05-27-2014, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=DarkLink;424892]Can ics with infiltrate join a unit that doesn't have infiltrate and still infiltrate.[/QUO

+1 I can't believe this is still unanswered.

Mr Mystery
05-27-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm happy they can't, but seems valid enough to go on the list.

This Dave
05-27-2014, 02:15 PM
How about "if a stationary vehicle fires an Ordnance weapon do all the other weapons on the vehicle have to use Snap Shots?"

Taken as a whole rules section it sounds like you can fire everything to full effect (page 486 of the Ibooks codex, Moving and Shooting with Vehicles). The hotlink in the Heavy vehicles for Stationary says it may fire all its weapons. Forge World said you can in an email. Intent and the pictures of LR tanks also favors this. But 90% of the internet says if a vehicle fires Ordnance then all other weapons must fire as Snap Shots because of one line in the middle of one paragraph.

I would REALLY like an official word one way or the other on this since GW seems to ignore me when I write them.

Mr Mystery
05-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Just needs the semi-organised approach.

Not sure whether we should steer clear of offering an opinion and just stick to a straight forward question or not though.

Most of the stuff asked so far does have an answer of a sort within the rulebook, but yeah, a little clarity rarely hurts (I would say never, but then just how much falling out a third floor hurts is a form of life-clarification, likely to hurt a lot)

Slacker
05-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Can ics with infiltrate join a unit that doesn't have infiltrate and still infiltrate.

The Infiltrate rule itself says "Units that contain at least one model with this special rule" so I do not see a reason they would not be able to.

gredert
05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Witchfires are shooting attacks, specifically stated under there description, as is that they cannot be used while in combat. No other type of power has this caveat so as long as range is satisfied I read as go for it. ebook location 6044

Shooting with vehicles clearly states that ordinance shots reduce all other shots to snap shots, found under the section stating vehicles are relentless. ebook location 7677

DarkLink
05-27-2014, 05:38 PM
The Infiltrate rule itself says "Units that contain at least one model with this special rule" so I do not see a reason they would not be able to.

It's not the intent, but there's a loophole that prevents it. Same as last edition. You can't actually join the unit to confir infiltrate until after deploying them on the board, preventing you from using it for anything but outflanking.

Buddhist_Possum
05-27-2014, 05:50 PM
It's not the intent, but there's a loophole that prevents it. Same as last edition. You can't actually join the unit to confir infiltrate until after deploying them on the board, preventing you from using it for anything but outflanking.

ICs can be deployed with a group, but not as part of the unit. Once they are on the board they become one.

You can put ICs in transports though. So DarkLink is right.

slobulous
05-27-2014, 08:49 PM
How does Chief Librarian Tigurius work now? I don't see it addressed in the FAQs

DarkLink
05-27-2014, 11:33 PM
He rerolls dice to generate and he rerolls his psychic check? Just like before?

slobulous
05-28-2014, 08:01 AM
He rerolls dice to generate and he rerolls his psychic check? Just like before?

Can you tell me where this is actually substantiated in the rules? I don't see it clarified in the 7th ed rulebook or the new FAQs. I need my Tiggy to work properly!

This Dave
05-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Shooting with vehicles clearly states that ordinance shots reduce all other shots to snap shots, found under the section stating vehicles are relentless. ebook location 7677

It's clearly not clear or there wouldn't be debate about it would there? :)

If you're talking about the paragraph about vehicles and Ordnance weapons that's what causes the problem. It does in fact state that if a vehicle fires an Ordnance weapon. All other shooting that turn is Snap Shots. But it does that in the middle of a paragraph talking about vehicles moving and firing with Ordnance. In a section on vehicles moving and shooting. Context would seem to mean a stationary (and by extension a Heavy) vehicle could fire all its weapons including Ordnance at full BS. The hotlink for Stationary in the iBooks version also says this, though it does not specifically mention Ordnance. Emails from the guys at Forge World say this is how it's supposed to be played, although that was for 6th edition I can't see it as having changed. And the weapon loadouts for many of the LR tanks in the rulebook and the AM codex make NO sense (Battlecannon and Plasma Cannons or Heavy Flamers) if firing Ordnance makes the other weapons fire Snap Shots.

So no, it is not clear at all in my opinion.

Katharon
05-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Can I get an FAQ that will clarify what weapon a Crusader has? The same model and stats has different weapon profiles between three different codicies (SoB, GK, Inq). It's friggen annoying when you're trying to create a Crusader army using GK with Inquisition allied detachment of MORE crusaders, but can't give the allied Detachment power axes because it says "Power Swords" in that codex, but "Power Weapons" in the GK codex...

Wolfshade
05-28-2014, 09:32 AM
In FAQ for other codecii "Power Swords" have been FAQ to Power Weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Still not offical though :(

SnakeChisler
05-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Can you tell me where this is actually substantiated in the rules? I don't see it clarified in the 7th ed rulebook or the new FAQs. I need my Tiggy to work properly!

Its not even ambiguous it doesn't need an FAQ its as they say clear concise and plain
Currently if he fails his Psychic test he can re-roll it.

A psychic test consists of you selecting the number of dice you wish to use then rolling them on a 4+ to generate warp charge points.

Tiggys rule says he can re-roll failed Psychic tests so you can pick up the dice and try again if you don't get the number of warp charge successes required for that power.

What you can't do is cherry pick which dice you want to re-roll which I presume is why your trying to find an out or a reason for it not working anymore neither can you re-roll a perils of the warp unless your trying to manifest a warp charge 3 power and no other dice in the roll achieved a 4+ result.

Charistoph
05-28-2014, 10:01 AM

Yes, and no. Not counting Reserves, the IC can be deployed in an Infiltrating position, but the unit he is joined with would still have to be deployed on the Deployment Zone edge, but he can't take them across.

It's a question of timing.

All non-Infiltrating unit not in Reserves must be Deployed first. Then any unit (including ICs) with Infiltrate are deployed afterwards. Infiltrate does not provide a provision for redploying an already deployed unit (Scout does that). Therefore, an Infiltrating IC can not get a non-Infiltrating unit beyond the Deployment Zone.

House Rules need not be mentioned.

If you're talking about the paragraph about vehicles and Ordnance weapons that's what causes the problem. It does in fact state that if a vehicle fires an Ordnance weapon. All other shooting that turn is Snap Shots. But it does that in the middle of a paragraph talking about vehicles moving and firing with Ordnance. In a section on vehicles moving and shooting. Context would seem to mean a stationary (and by extension a Heavy) vehicle could fire all its weapons including Ordnance at full BS. The hotlink for Stationary in the iBooks version also says this, though it does not specifically mention Ordnance. Emails from the guys at Forge World say this is how it's supposed to be played, although that was for 6th edition I can't see it as having changed. And the weapon loadouts for many of the LR tanks in the rulebook and the AM codex make NO sense (Battlecannon and Plasma Cannons or Heavy Flamers) if firing Ordnance makes the other weapons fire Snap Shots.

Relentless and Heavy only consider Movement for this question. Shooting an Ordnance weapon is not Movement. They have no relation to each other.

DarkLink
05-28-2014, 10:07 AM

I mean, it's in his codex isn't it? He obviously rerolls for generating powers, does his other ability specify leadership checks?

Cleon
05-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Question: did you mean to remove fast from all the Blood Angels vehicles, or was that a copy paste error?

Moriar52
05-28-2014, 11:19 AM
with regards to tigurius it is quite clear he re rolls failed psychic tests. same with a spell familiar. for a psychic test you roll x number of dice and get as many 4+ as possible. this allows you to reroll those dice if you don't get enough.

- - - Updated - - -

the one I want to know is how do shadows of the warp and Tzeentch daemon abilities interact with the new psychic phase. SoW= -3Ld to enemy psykers when casting and Tzeetch= +3 to Ld when casting.

Krimdar
05-28-2014, 11:21 AM
I am a bit confused with the Space Wolves errata:

a) Do Deny the Witch, Wolf Talisman and Runic Weapon stack again?

b) Runic Weapon - seems GW can't count to 4: the 3rd sentence is replaced with "+1 to Deny the Witch"
Runic weapon text:
Sentence 1: Description
Sentence 2: Description
Sentence 3: Runic Weapons are force weapons
Sentence 4: roll 4+ to cancel psychic powers in 24"
Sentence 5: wounds Daemons on 2+
Sentence 6: Daemonbane doesn't affect vehicles

So the Runic Weapon is no longer a force weapon but even stronger vs. enemy psykers now? o.O

Domine Nox
05-28-2014, 11:26 AM
the one I want to know is how do shadows of the warp and Tzeentch daemon abilities interact with the new psychic phase. SoW= -3Ld to enemy psykers when casting and Tzeetch= +3 to Ld when casting.

I believe that those simply would come into effect for perils checks. So SoW would give -Ld for Perils check, and +Ld for Tzeentch Perils check.

Krimdar
05-28-2014, 11:36 AM
double post :(

Mr Mystery
05-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Hey folks.

Remember, this is intended as a repository for our outstanding questions, so we can all ask the same ones.

Please keep any discussions to a separate thread. Exception being where an answer can be quoted from The Rules (like my one about FMC and Possession)

DrLove42
05-28-2014, 11:45 AM
How do Eldar Runes of Warding Work. PLus +2 dice, +2 succeses or +2 to the rolls?

This Dave
05-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Relentless and Heavy only consider Movement for this question. Shooting an Ordnance weapon is not Movement. They have no relation to each other.

It actually does when the rule concerning Ordnance causing Snap Shots is in a rules section dealing with moving and shooting.

Martyn Powell
05-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Not got a 7th rulebook yet but this could be interesting...

Defensive grenades from units carried in open-topped vehicles... would make sense for the troops on-board to try and conceal themselves and their transport with smoke etc...

6th was if the unit was targeted... well since all models may shoot out of and even assault out of it why not throw a couple of smoke grenades out too when being shot at.

Normal rules apply such as 8" away etc.

Cartridge
05-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Can a summoned Daemon generate psychic powers? (i.e. can a pack of horrors then summon more horrors, ad infinitum)

Mr Mystery
05-28-2014, 01:24 PM
That's covered under the Conjuration section of the rules. Conjured Psykers generate powers when Conjured. There's nothing I can see preventing them casting, but, and it's a big but, they don't generate casting dice that turn.

Main use would be to 'conga conjure', using each freshly Conjured unit to deploy ever deeper into enemy lines. However, as they can only otherwise Run in the shooting phase, they're wide open to getting jumped or all shot up.

Moriar52
05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
the conjured unit can't cast on the turn they are conjured.

spacecheese
05-28-2014, 03:03 PM
So my question may seem obvious, but I'll ask it anyways.

Ignoring the fact that they replaced the wrong sentence in the rune priests entry, does this mean that I get a plus one on all deny the witch rolls, like when I try to stop you from summoning. Also does it stack with itself, so if I have two rune priests I nullify a power on a four up? If you say yes or no please reference a rule in the book.

Thanks as always. :D:D:D

Gir
05-28-2014, 04:10 PM

The rules explicitly state that if you fire an ordnance weapon, all other weapons wire snap shots. There is no ambiguity here, it is flat out written in the rules.

charliemachina
05-28-2014, 04:16 PM
I would like this clarifying:

Drop-pods "counts in all respects as a vehicle that has suffered an Immobilised damage result " And in the new rules if a unit disembarks from an immobilised vehicle it has to take a LD test or else it can only snap shoot. My feeling is its a rules oversight and not intentional, but its in debate at the minute.

Also my understanding is that:

Pink Horrors are Lvl 1 Psychics

But they generate Warp charge in accordance with their numbers.

They can only generate Malific and Tzeentch Daeomon Powers.....................can this be confirmed.

VORTEX
05-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Could someone please confirm the following,
A Broodlord always has the Horror power
Now the new psychic focus rule stated that if a psyker has all it's powers from one discipline then they can have the primaris power as well.
Therefore will the Broodlord now have the Horror and Dominion?
I don't want to lead anyone but the latest FAQ says that if a model is not a synapse creature and generates the dominion power then it becomes a synapse creature with a range of 6" as long as the power is in effect,
Could anyone shed a little light cheers

Peter Hoff
05-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Can tyranids use psychic powers out of rule book I know the codex says we can't but under demonology it says tyranids can't use them but under santic and malefic its says any other pyskers that isn't grey knights or demons can use them but perils of the warp on any doubles so does that mean we can use them and what about the other disciplines.

daboarder
05-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Yes.

All nid psykers now get dominion for free. Small but very fluffy buff

Charistoph
05-28-2014, 06:59 PM
It actually does when the rule concerning Ordnance causing Snap Shots is in a rules section dealing with moving and shooting.

And primarily deals with firing Ordnance, and so listing the side affects. The only real issue is someone deliberately making it an issue where there really isn't one.

SnakeChisler
05-29-2014, 07:35 AM
with regards to tigurius it is quite clear he re rolls failed psychic tests. same with a spell familiar. for a psychic test you roll x number of dice and get as many 4+ as possible. this allows you to reroll those dice if you don't get enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Will currently come into play only when the Psyker Perils and needs a Leadership test

If GW want any other effect then they'll have to put in some codex rule changes.

rollawaythestone
05-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Do Termagants spawned by a Tervigon in a Battle-Forged army have Objective Secured?

tag8833
05-29-2014, 02:47 PM
1) When "Emplaced Weapons" use "Automatic Fire", it says: "At the Nearest enemy unit in range and Line of Sight" Does that mean Emplaced Weapons that are Automatically firing must fire at unit that they cannot hurt? For instance, a Heavy Bolter on a Bastion must fire at a Land Raider?
2) Can Units be deployed in a location they cannot move to? For instance, an infantry unit placed on upper level of terrain that is more than 6" high.
3) If a Bastion (Battlements > 6" high) suffers a "Detonation!" on the building damage table, are all units on the battlements removed as casualties because they cannot make a 6" move off of the battlements?
4) Can a template cause wounds to a model out of Line of Sight, as long as the Target is in Line of Sight? For Instance, A Tyrannofex attempts use a template against a Wraith Knight that is in Line of Sight. There are enemy Space Marines behind a wall out of line of sight between my Tyrannofex and the Wraith Knight covered by the template. Could they be wounded?
5) Can a Swooping Flying Monstrous Creature claim a cover save if it is Obscured 25%?
6) Can an independent Character that is a Monstrous Creature join a unit that contains another Independent Character?
7) If a unit has Preferred Enemy, can it reroll armor penetration rolls of 1?
8) If there are 4 units locked in close combat like this 1A2B where letters are unit belonging to one player, and Numbers are units belonging to their opponent. If Unit A is destroyed, does Unit 1 pile into the combat with Unit B? What if Unit A fails a moral check and Falls back, but Unit B does not, can Unit 1 attempt a Sweeping Advance?
9) If a Zooming Flyer suffers a "Crew Stunned" result, and in its next movement phase it cannot move 18" without its base being over or within 1" of enemy Models, what happens?

Martyn Powell
05-31-2014, 11:39 AM
No Escape rule for Templates

Sometimes a vehicle will have an save from an invulnerable, for example a venom carrying 5 wyches has a flickerfield as standard conferring a 5+ invulnerable to the venom. Does an item/save/upgrade like this give a 5++ to the unit embarked on the transport also. I find it hard to believe that the transport has that save when the troops on board do not as the damage is coming from an outside source such as a flamer from a space marine tactical squad and not from an explosion result on the vehicle damage table.

John Bower
05-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Can I get an FAQ that will clarify what weapon a Crusader has? The same model and stats has different weapon profiles between three different codicies (SoB, GK, Inq). It's friggen annoying when you're trying to create a Crusader army using GK with Inquisition allied detachment of MORE crusaders, but can't give the allied Detachment power axes because it says "Power Swords" in that codex, but "Power Weapons" in the GK codex...

Mate, it's listed as "Power Weapons" in the Inquisition Codex too, I just checked on my Kindle version. :) So just go with what you want on them no FAQ needed for this.

- - - Updated - - -

No Escape rule for Templates

Sometimes a vehicle will have an save from an invulnerable, for example a venom carrying 5 wyches has a flickerfield as standard conferring a 5+ invulnerable to the venom. Does an item/save/upgrade like this give a 5++ to the unit embarked on the transport also. I find it hard to believe that the transport has that save when the troops on board do not as the damage is coming from an outside source such as a flamer from a space marine tactical squad and not from an explosion result on the vehicle damage table.

How exactly do you even target the unit? You can't.... A unit embarked in a vehicle (open topped or otherwise) is in a vehicle, they just suffer 'effects on passengers' from any results on the damage table and can't be targeted directly.

- - - Updated - - -

Do Termagants spawned by a Tervigon in a Battle-Forged army have Objective Secured?

This is self evident surely? They are 'troops' and all 'troops' in a battle forged army have that rule, it makes no distinction even for summoned troops.

- - - Updated - - -

The rules explicitly state that if you fire an ordnance weapon, all other weapons wire snap shots. There is no ambiguity here, it is flat out written in the rules.

And it's double clarified in the Lord of War section; which clearly states that firing an ordnance weapon has no effect on a super heavy. :) And that's not in the movement section for them.

I hate to say it peeps but a lot of these questions don't need FAQ's and are clearly written. If we ask stuff that's clear GW will just trash the entire list... Check the rules before we ask for FAQ's/Errata. It will help us all in the long run, if in doubt ask around on here, I'm sure if a rule is pretty clear it can be pointed to by somebody. Like the termagants spawning.. All it says is that all troops in a battleforged detachment have the 'objective secured rule', is that not clear enough?

Houghten
05-31-2014, 03:17 PM
This is self evident surely? They are 'troops' and all 'troops' in a battle forged army have that rule, it makes no distinction even for summoned troops.
But if you spawn so many Termagants that you no longer have an HQ for every 6 Troops, does the army stop being Battle-Forged?

Edit: Silly question really. It doesn't stop being Battle-Forged if that HQ dies, after all.

DarkLink
05-31-2014, 04:16 PM
How exactly do you even target the unit? You can't.... A unit embarked in a vehicle (open topped or otherwise) is in a vehicle, they just suffer 'effects on passengers' from any results on the damage table and can't be targeted directly.

You're assuming. Don't assume. There's a new edition of 40k out, and with it a bunch of new rules. If you see something like this, you should probably go actually read the rulebook to see instead of assuming that it works the same way as it did in 6th.

If you hit an open topped vehicle with a flamer, you hit the unit inside. Hence the question.

John Bower
05-31-2014, 04:44 PM
You're assuming. Don't assume. There's a new edition of 40k out, and with it a bunch of new rules. If you see something like this, you should probably go actually read the rulebook to see instead of assuming that it works the same way as it did in 6th.

If you hit an open topped vehicle with a flamer, you hit the unit inside. Hence the question.

Apologies, missed that bit; one of the bits that's a bit scattered around as it's under the building rules rather than the 'open topped'. Still, I'd think law of obvious would prevail, if a unit is in a something that grants an invuln you get an invuln save... wouldn't be sensible any other way. If the vehicle gets the save, the pax get it. I think that's just application of 'common sense'.

Houghten
05-31-2014, 05:36 PM
I would have said something more along the lines of "if the vehicle passes the save, neither the vehicle nor the passengers are hit" rather than the passengers each being granted the vehicle's save...

John Bower
06-01-2014, 01:51 AM
I would have said something more along the lines of "if the vehicle passes the save, neither the vehicle nor the passengers are hit" rather than the passengers each being granted the vehicle's save...

It was a silly and poorly thought out change to a rule that worked as it was.

DWest
06-02-2014, 02:37 AM
Kairos Fateweaver- which head, if any, gets to roll on Daemonology? Hopefully not both.

40kGamer
06-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Unless I'm overlooking it, nothing prevents an immobilized vehicle from claiming a Jink save... Which is just silly.

Dave Mcturk
06-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Unless I'm overlooking it, nothing prevents an immobilized vehicle from claiming a Jink save... Which is just silly.

lol.. wiggle wiggle. but then i snapshoot!

yes a missed opportunity to tidy up all the cover / jink / armour / iv saves !

the one that really irks me is twin linked missiles that ignore cover - ? fire and forget - and then have another go?... no objection to cover subtraction ie -2 to a minimum of 6+ cover - but twin linking as well is just ttp.

40kGamer
06-03-2014, 12:13 PM
lol.. wiggle wiggle. but then i snapshoot!

yes a missed opportunity to tidy up all the cover / jink / armour / iv saves !

the one that really irks me is twin linked missiles that ignore cover - ? fire and forget - and then have another go?... no objection to cover subtraction ie -2 to a minimum of 6+ cover - but twin linking as well is just ttp.

I imagine my wave serpents spinning on the spot like a ballerina! :D

I was hoping cover / ignores cover would be changed to a +/- adjustment in 7th too... fingers crossed for 8th!

ElectricPaladin
06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
What is the AP value of Tycho's Dead Man's Hand?

Tynskel
06-03-2014, 02:56 PM
What is the AP value of Tycho's Dead Man's Hand?

Easy Peasy. Not in the FAQ.
so it is AP (-), ignore armor saves.

ElectricPaladin
06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Easy Peasy. Not in the FAQ.
so it is AP (-), ignore armor saves.

That is... a very strange statline.

I mean, that's how I'd play it, certainly, but it feels like there might be something more to it.

Katharon
06-04-2014, 06:24 AM
...it feels like there might be something more to it.

Not really...kind of succinct for once, which is nice from GW on occasion.

Tynskel
06-04-2014, 03:18 PM
That is... a very strange statline.

I mean, that's how I'd play it, certainly, but it feels like there might be something more to it.

It is not strange. AP (-) is the default for all infantry. Then the things says, 'ignores armor saves'. Pretty much straight forward.

blight1
06-05-2014, 02:52 AM
With the rules for firing at different levels of ruins gone do templates and blasts hit multiple levels?
Also do you hold the flame template above the battle over your models at the point where the base is below or do you have to have it physically touch the base? Have someone telling me it's physically touching so never get max range since it has to clear models and terrain.

Anggul
06-05-2014, 04:28 AM
With the rules for firing at different levels of ruins gone do templates and blasts hit multiple levels?
Also do you hold the flame template above the battle over your models at the point where the base is below or do you have to have it physically touch the base? Have someone telling me it's physically touching so never get max range since it has to clear models and terrain.

The guy is a plonker. It's lateral, you don't do angles. That's made extremely clear in every diagram in every rulebook.

Dave Mcturk
06-05-2014, 05:07 AM
I imagine my wave serpents spinning on the spot like a ballerina! :D

I was hoping cover / ignores cover would be changed to a +/- adjustment in 7th too... fingers crossed for 8th!

lol.. :eek: hadnt thought of that. maybe barrel rolls like a crocodile ? - the gun at least faces in the same direction.?

- - - Updated - - -

It is not strange. AP (-) is the default for all infantry. Then the things says, 'ignores armor saves'. Pretty much straight forward.

something that 'ignores armour saves' is the same as AP2 ? isnt it ? :rolleyes:

actually just realised it isnt . cos v vehicles ap [ - ] is much worse than ap2 !

ElectricPaladin
06-05-2014, 07:22 AM
What's weird about it, to me, is that back in the days of 5th, before melee weapons ever had an AP, power weapons all said "ignores armor saves." Then all the power weapons got AP scores. So, it seems likely to me that the dead man's hand is supposed to have a proper AP score, like any modern power weapon.

But you are correct in that RAW it's AP - but ignores armor saves anyway.

Dave Mcturk
06-05-2014, 08:34 AM
What's weird about it, to me, is that back in the days of 5th, before melee weapons ever had an AP, power weapons all said "ignores armor saves." Then all the power weapons got AP scores. So, it seems likely to me that the dead man's hand is supposed to have a proper AP score, like any modern power weapon.

But you are correct in that RAW it's AP - but ignores armor saves anyway.

wot really bugs me as i play eldar is that our ST3 T3 AP3 power weapons are virtually useless - i would happily pay points for characters and unit leader to have access to even ST4 power swords ! - AP2 would be delightful. dont think the rules writers seem to understand its the 'weapon' that causes the wound not always the pure ST of the user. currently paying a 70pt premium in larger games just to get two decent cc weapons. [yes i know asurmen has his wonder-sword - but in smaller point games he is either a bit cheesy or downright point prohibited]

John Bower
06-05-2014, 12:34 PM

To me that sounds like a misquote of the rules. Basically you hold it 'above' the unit you are firing at, then any models it is 'touching' remember it's transparent so you can see it would be if it were at ground level are hit. But it does go by bases except for vehicles. So if you say have 5 models in a unit hit with a template; 3 would be directly 'hit' by it, the other 2 are 'touching', in other words it looks like they would be touching it with their bases are also hit. But no, if it had to be physically touching the bases you'd only ever hit 1 or 2 models. Point this little fact out to him next time and tell him not to be TFG.

Dave Mcturk
06-05-2014, 05:47 PM
To me that sounds like a misquote of the rules. Basically you hold it 'above' the unit you are firing at, then any models it is 'touching' remember it's transparent so you can see it would be if it were at ground level are hit. But it does go by bases except for vehicles. So if you say have 5 models in a unit hit with a template; 3 would be directly 'hit' by it, the other 2 are 'touching', in other words it looks like they would be touching it with their bases are also hit. But no, if it had to be physically touching the bases you'd only ever hit 1 or 2 models. Point this little fact out to him next time and tell him not to be TFG.

bit late to be looking up brb. but fairly sure ALL template weapons only affect ONE level where that applies. use common sense and template weapons arent so bad. but ppl do seem to have issues with three dimensions.

Tynskel
06-05-2014, 05:56 PM
lol.. :eek: hadnt thought of that. maybe barrel rolls like a crocodile ? - the gun at least faces in the same direction.?

- - - Updated - - -

something that 'ignores armour saves' is the same as AP2 ? isnt it ? :rolleyes:

actually just realised it isnt . cos v vehicles ap [ - ] is much worse than ap2 !

No. Not the same thing.
It is exactly what it means. Doesn't do junk against vehicles, but good at cutting down infantry.

Kayvaan28
06-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Can a Flyer/zooming FMC be hit by attacks/shots/psy...etc that autohit? In 6 editon there was an faq that they can't, but it's not in the new BRB as far as I know.

John Bower
06-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Can a Flyer/zooming FMC be hit by attacks/shots/psy...etc that autohit? In 6 editon there was an faq that they can't, but it's not in the new BRB as far as I know.

Only Nova powers for Psy.. Don't know offhand about shooting at the moment as not got my RB handy.

DarkLink
06-06-2014, 11:01 PM
So Novas do hit FMCs?

John Bower
06-07-2014, 01:31 AM
So Novas do hit FMCs?

According to 'The Rules' yep.... Not so good for my Crone, but I'm not complaining. Begun this psychic war has yes? Hmmm.

Lord-Boofhead
06-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Mate, it's listed as "Power Weapons" in the Inquisition Codex too, I just checked on my Kindle version. :) So just go with what you want on them no FAQ needed for this.

Yep the only Entry that specifies a type is The Inquisitors them selves they can only have Power Swords same with Force Weapons.

Crusaders, Death Cult Assassins and Acolytes can have any of the 4 types.

- - - Updated - - -

That's covered under the Conjuration section of the rules. Conjured Psykers generate powers when Conjured. There's nothing I can see preventing them casting, but, and it's a big but, they don't generate casting dice that turn.

Main use would be to 'conga conjure', using each freshly Conjured unit to deploy ever deeper into enemy lines. However, as they can only otherwise Run in the shooting phase, they're wide open to getting jumped or all shot up.

The critical issue here is unless they are Heralds they only get one power and that must be from their god's powers IIRC, so no summon spells for them..

- - - Updated - - -

In an unbound army do 0 - 1 per army restrictions apply still?

e.g. In an unbound army do you still need Asteroth to run more than 1 unit of Death Company.

legalsmash
06-07-2014, 06:53 AM
can someone please tell me if the templates changed? I have read my book and cannot find reference to the fifteen inch template or my adjustable blue barrage one.... any word?

Lord_Valorion
06-07-2014, 10:41 AM
can someone please tell me if the templates changed? I have read my book and cannot find reference to the fifteen inch template or my adjustable blue barrage one.... any word?

The blue templates are now Apocalypse-only. For "normal" games the 15 inch template is now reduced to 10" with 0-5", 5-7" and 7-10" Zones. The apocalyptic barrage is now the old cloverleaf-template from the old Apo for "normal" games.

Kinda dump...

John Bower
06-07-2014, 01:46 PM
The blue templates are now Apocalypse-only. For "normal" games the 15 inch template is now reduced to 10" with 0-5", 5-7" and 7-10" Zones. The apocalyptic barrage is now the old cloverleaf-template from the old Apo for "normal" games.

Kinda dump...

unfortunately you are supposed to use the green templates in APocalypse too, it says so in the FAQ. :( Which tbh is one reason I really have got the hump with GW over the D weapons. I didn't mind (and could've lived with) them saying for normal games they were 'low yield' versions, but really? Did they have to buttrape them altogether like that? I mean they aren't even all AP1/2 anymore.

Krefey
06-09-2014, 02:15 AM
The guy is a plonker. It's lateral, you don't do angles. That's made extremely clear in every diagram in every rulebook.

You do do angles when you are measruring rang to and from flyers though.

Gir
06-09-2014, 05:40 AM
unfortunately you are supposed to use the green templates in APocalypse too, it says so in the FAQ.

7th edition rulebook:

"Several Games Workshop publications, namely Apocalypse, Escalation, Stronghold Assault and Codex: Imperial Knights, contain references to a set of blast markers and templates known as the Imperial Targeting Set. This set contained an apocalyptic barrage marker that you could twist into different shapes and an apocalyptic mega-blast marker that was 15" in diameter. If you are playing a game of Apocalypse and you have these blast markers available, you should use them in your game exactly as described in the rules section of the Apocalypse rulebook. If you do not have these templates, or you are playing any other game of Warhammer 40,000, you should use the clover shaped apocalyptic barrage marker and the apocalyptic blast marker instead (in the latter case, whenever a rule refers to the ‘apocalyptic mega-blast marker’, use the inner, middle and outer zones on the apocalyptic blast marker instead)."

spacecheese
06-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Got two questions.
One, is is the wolf tail talisman working as intended? I didn't see anything in the FAQ about it the last time I checked.

Two, if I am Karn the betrayer or a model with a wolf tooth necklace, do I hit on the fixed number as it says in the codex against a invisible unit, or only on 6's still?

Krefey
06-10-2014, 02:40 AM
Got two questions.
One, is is the wolf tail talisman working as intended? I didn't see anything in the FAQ about it the last time I checked.

Two, if I am Karn the betrayer or a model with a wolf tooth necklace, do I hit on the fixed number as it says in the codex against a invisible unit, or only on 6's still?

Been having this discussion on another forum. The rules state you pick which unit gets to attempt to deny the which as long as it has been affected by the power (witchfire, malediction, nova etc.).

When none of your units are being directly affected by the power, you can only deny the witch on a 6+ as you don't use a unit / model to be the focus of the dney attempt.

40kGamer
06-10-2014, 08:07 AM
When none of your units are being directly affected by the power, you can only deny the witch on a 6+ as you don't use a unit / model to be the focus of the deny attempt.

The 6+ makes it pretty hard to deny high Warp Charge powers. Eldar got quite a bone in their FAQ as Runes of Warding allow +2 to one attempt so Farseers have a 4+(or better) shot to Deny any power once per game.

Lord-Boofhead
06-11-2014, 07:37 AM
What powers do Inquisitors and Henchman Psychers fromthe Inquisition Codex use?

Also is the restriction to Power/Force swords intentional for Inquisitors?

John Bower
06-11-2014, 08:29 AM
What powers do Inquisitors and Henchman Psychers fromthe Inquisition Codex use?

Also is the restriction to Power/Force swords intentional for Inquisitors?

Don't know on the powers bit, I imagine since they get 'Hammerhand' or 'Sanctuary' they just use the same as Grey Knights, so Sanctic. The sword I would imagine is deliberate, since they are able to take a Nemesis Daemonhammer like the GK's use. Or a Daemonsword.

Thed Nome
06-11-2014, 08:52 AM
My question... when assualting does the challengers WS count for the cheerleader battle... IE if 9 Chaos Cultist ca harge a Pheonix Lord and one Scorpion... the Aspiring Champion Fights the lord (and dies horribly some excess wounds kill two cultists... the scorpion kills one more now the 5 Cultists swing at the scorpion... do they need a 4+ (vs the scorpion WS4) or a 5+ (vs the avg WS of 7) to hit. I think it is 5+ but would like some confirmation.

DarkLink
06-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Don't know on the powers bit, I imagine since they get 'Hammerhand' or 'Sanctuary' they just use the same as Grey Knights, so Sanctic. The sword I would imagine is deliberate, since they are able to take a Nemesis Daemonhammer like the GK's use. Or a Daemonsword.

You should reread the gk faq. Inquisitors and psykers generate powers from the brb tables. Santic is one of them, but they get others and they don't get any default powers.

John Bower
06-11-2014, 11:07 AM
You should reread the gk faq. Inquisitors and psykers generate powers from the brb tables. Santic is one of them, but they get others and they don't get any default powers.

Cheers Darklink, missed that bit for looking. :)

Krefey
06-11-2014, 08:34 PM
My question... when assualting does the challengers WS count for the cheerleader battle... IE if 9 Chaos Cultist ca harge a Pheonix Lord and one Scorpion... the Aspiring Champion Fights the lord (and dies horribly some excess wounds kill two cultists... the scorpion kills one more now the 5 Cultists swing at the scorpion... do they need a 4+ (vs the scorpion WS4) or a 5+ (vs the avg WS of 7) to hit. I think it is 5+ but would like some confirmation.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, I'd say the cultists would be hitting on 5's.

DarkLink
06-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Maybe. It explicitly states that the characters in the challenge only use their WS/T for the challenge regardless of majority WS/T, though it doesn't say anything about the squad outside.

Krefey
06-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Maybe. It explicitly states that the characters in the challenge only use their WS/T for the challenge regardless of majority WS/T, though it doesn't say anything about the squad outside.

The thing that does it for me is that by the time it gets to the cultists' initiative step, the challenge is already over, so the phoenix lord would then count as part of the unit again for majority WS wouldn't it?

DarkLink
06-12-2014, 08:25 AM
No, the challenge is stated to continue for the duration of that round of combat, even if one of the characters is killed. I'd have to double check the exact wording, but the challenge lasts the full round.

John Bower
06-12-2014, 03:51 PM
No, the challenge is stated to continue for the duration of that round of combat, even if one of the characters is killed. I'd have to double check the exact wording, but the challenge lasts the full round.

I concur, as I've said elsewhere the challenge as Darklink stated carries on for the remainder of that round (turn) of combat. So the PL's WS won't count against the cultists until next turn. They will be hitting the other dude (and only the other dude) so fighting against his WS therefore hitting on 4's.

Krefey
06-12-2014, 08:15 PM
That is a fair point. But does the character being in a challenge still remove them from the unit for the purposes of determining things like majority WS?

DarkLink
06-12-2014, 09:56 PM
It doesn't explicitly state that it does for the unit outside the challenge, but it does explicitly state that as being the case for the characters in the challenge.

Harley
06-14-2014, 11:49 AM

But the Inquisition FAQ doesn't exist so nothing states for them what powers they can or can't take. We can't just assume they use the same powers as the Grey Knight FAQ because they are separate but similar codex. For the time being Inq are stuck with their few codex powers which are significantly worse than those in the book.

John Bower
06-15-2014, 08:12 AM
But the Inquisition FAQ doesn't exist so nothing states for them what powers they can or can't take. We can't just assume they use the same powers as the Grey Knight FAQ because they are separate but similar codex. For the time being Inq are stuck with their few codex powers which are significantly worse than those in the book.

On the one hand I would agree but:

"May upgrade to a Psyker (Mastery Level 1), with either the Hammerhand or Psychic Communion psychic power - Censored"
Games Workshop Ltd. Codex: Inquisition (Kindle Locations 1632-1633).

This realy says they get the same as they do in the GK codex, which may be why they didn't get an FAQ. In fact, as clear as that is do they even need one, both those powers are in Sanctic are they not?

Also of course there was no 'hardback' of the I codex, so any changes may be in the download already; But found this also in the codex:

"An Inquisitor with Mastery Level 1 can exchange his psychic power for a single roll on either the Divination, Pyromancy or Telekinesis disciplines."

Games Workshop Ltd. Codex: Inquisition (Kindle Locations 1635-1636).

Harley
06-15-2014, 11:58 PM
On the one hand I would agree but:

"May upgrade to a Psyker (Mastery Level 1), with either the Hammerhand or Psychic Communion psychic power - Censored"
Games Workshop Ltd. Codex: Inquisition (Kindle Locations 1632-1633).

This realy says they get the same as they do in the GK codex, which may be why they didn't get an FAQ. In fact, as clear as that is do they even need one, both those powers are in Sanctic are they not?

Also of course there was no 'hardback' of the I codex, so any changes may be in the download already; But found this also in the codex:

"An Inquisitor with Mastery Level 1 can exchange his psychic power for a single roll on either the Divination, Pyromancy or Telekinesis disciplines."

Games Workshop Ltd. Codex: Inquisition (Kindle Locations 1635-1636).

Thanks, I didn't catch that part. My brain is still in 5th edition haha. Then yes I would say that they may use the chart in the BRB and replace their powers.

However, they COULD keep their original powers in the codex, although, there really wouldn't be any reason to IMO.

The real trouble is though that an Inquisitor from codex Grey Knights can use Sanctic powers without any penalty while one from Inquisition will perils on any double roll.

John Bower
06-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks, I didn't catch that part. My brain is still in 5th edition haha. Then yes I would say that they may use the chart in the BRB and replace their powers.

However, they COULD keep their original powers in the codex, although, there really wouldn't be any reason to IMO.

The real trouble is though that an Inquisitor from codex Grey Knights can use Sanctic powers without any penalty while one from Inquisition will perils on any double roll.

I'm guessing since you get those powers; you wouldn't perils because the Inquisitor is .. well, Inquisition and mostly use the same rules as GK Inquisitors. The other Inquisitors may struggle though. Besides that there are better powers to use, and really the best one to have is Prescience, you don't need a lot for an Inquisitorial detachment; though I can't see how they ever get to be Battleforged with no troops even though their elites are scoring. But just take the Inquisitor, most other stuff you need can be got from other codices.

Da Gargoyle
09-28-2014, 02:58 AM
I have a couple of questions;

I mounted my Warlock mounted jet bikes on the upper levels of some ruins for a shot at a tank and its top deck armour rather than the front armour. In the last book top deck was the same as side armour. Now there is no reference to top deck and my opponent argued that I hit the facing front armour when shooting down on his tank. It seems the rule book has left this one in the air. so we settled it in the time honoured fashion of rolling a dice. But it leads me to wonder if barrage weapons now hit only front or side armour despite the fact that it is plunging fire meant to strike from above. Seems to me GW got lazy in this book.

The other question is, Ork Kopters can carry a big bomb, but the codex does not seem to describe delivery. The rule book only refers to flyers which need to be zooming to deliver. So do Kopters do a 12" bombing run as per their movement phase or a turbo boost run as a bomber? Or something else?

daboarder
09-28-2014, 03:08 AM
their never was a "top" armour value, weapons that would concievably hit the top used to specify that they hit "side" armour, and those that would normally be expected to hit below would hit "rear". This was however case specific for the relevant rule, otherwise its whatever armour facing "section" your in, regardess of height/visibility

Da Gargoyle
09-28-2014, 03:08 AM
By the way, I read something posted earlier that said an IC can not join a unit before the game and thus the unit can not infiltrate with the IC. The IC rules state that the IC can start the game as a part of a unit, pg 166 hard copy rules, you just have to notify your opponent before the game begins. Further as a model with the infiltrate rule confers it to the unit he is with, you can infiltrate a unit with the IC that will not otherwise be allowed this rule, page 167 hard copy rules.

And I was blown away to find a vehicle can jink without any movement. For Serpents I guess it's because they are all shimmery with that shield on full.

John Bower
09-28-2014, 03:37 AM
I have a couple of questions;

I mounted my Warlock mounted jet bikes on the upper levels of some ruins for a shot at a tank and its top deck armour rather than the front armour. In the last book top deck was the same as side armour. Now there is no reference to top deck and my opponent argued that I hit the facing front armour when shooting down on his tank. It seems the rule book has left this one in the air. so we settled it in the time honoured fashion of rolling a dice. But it leads me to wonder if barrage weapons now hit only front or side armour despite the fact that it is plunging fire meant to strike from above. Seems to me GW got lazy in this book.

The other question is, Ork Kopters can carry a big bomb, but the codex does not seem to describe delivery. The rule book only refers to flyers which need to be zooming to deliver. So do Kopters do a 12" bombing run as per their movement phase or a turbo boost run as a bomber? Or something else?

Probably Turbo boost since that was what it always was.

thanoson
01-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Do 2 joined IC's in a unit count as one unit or 2 for purposes of casting the same psychic power?

Charistoph
01-04-2015, 02:40 AM
Do 2 joined IC's in a unit count as one unit or 2 for purposes of casting the same psychic power?

Why wouldn't they? Where can you demonstrate that they are, indeed, more than one unit?

Xaric
01-04-2015, 05:29 PM

As the rule states on page 24 at the bottom in the part manifesting psychic powers in bold no unit can attempt to manifest the same psychic power more then once per psychic phase.

So if the two IC are in the same unit at any given time of that turns psychic phase you can only cast that power if they both have it once and only once until one or the other brakes off from the unit to become a unit of its own.

thanoson
01-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Why wouldn't they? Where can you demonstrate that they are, indeed, more than one unit?

You were apart of that discussion on the other site. You know, loose interpretations and stuff.

Andrew Thomas
03-27-2015, 09:24 PM

Judging by the process by which attacks against vehicles are resolved, i.e.: roll to hit ➡ roll Jink/Cover/Inulnerable saves ➡ Roll Penetration ➡ Roll for Penetrating Hit effect, this makes the most sense, that the No Escape hits are only applied after saves are resolved.

Andrew Thomas
03-27-2015, 09:36 PM
New question: do models taken as wargear for a model capable of Deep Striking (CIP: Space Wolf Characters taking Terminator Armor and Fenrisian Wolves) negate that model's ability to Deep Strike?

Charistoph
03-28-2015, 05:38 PM
New question: do models taken as wargear for a model capable of Deep Striking (CIP: Space Wolf Characters taking Terminator Armor and Fenrisian Wolves) negate that model's ability to Deep Strike?

Well, the very beginning of the Deep Strike rule states, "In order for a unit to be able to Deep Strike, all models in the unit must have the Deep Strike special rule..."

Vlad
10-31-2015, 12:56 AM
Could you clarify for me the Fateweaver rolling of powers?

Last FAQ says that every head knows two spells from "normal" disciplines and one- from Malefic.

Same FAQ says that daemon psykers could roll on Malefic in addition to any other discipline.

So could I swap "normal" spells fod Malefic on the Weaver? Is there an established practice on this?

Da Gargoyle
11-24-2016, 05:04 PM
So question in regards to Bomb Squigs. The grenade attack which defines all grenade types now limits each unit to one attack be it in the shooting phase or assault phase. Despite the poor wording in FAQ I have since been advised that clamping a grenade onto a vehicle, building or monstrous creature counts as throwing the grenade.

So my question: Bomb Squigs are used in the shooting phase and a unit can carry up to 3 of them. However, does the FAQ now mean that only one can be used each turn?