PDA

View Full Version : You spent all our money on one tank? (Guard 1850)

Halollet
05-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Commander: You spent all our money on one tank!?
Solider: But its a REALLY good tank!
Commander: *faceplam*

I only own one tank, a baneblade. The rest is infantry for my guard (Astra militarum).

Now with lords of war being perfectly okay in regular games, I made up this list.

HQ

Company Command - 138
Astropath, Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet, Vox-Caster, Camo gearx4
Mans the quadgun and dishes out orders.

Ministorum Preist
Goes with Conscripts

Primaris Psyker level 2
Goes with a vet squad or Conscripts depending on opponent and powers
Primaris Psyker level 1
Divination to reroll to hit for the shooting

Troops

Veterans
Grenade Launcherx3 Forward Sentries Vox Caster

Veterans
Plasma Riflex3 Forward Sentries Vox Caster

Moves forward, hugging cover. I'm not sure about these guys so I'm open to totally changing them.

Platoon Command
Vox-Caster Grenade Launcherx2
Moves up, providing orders

Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher Auto Cannon Vox
Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher Auto Cannon

Infantry Squad
Sniper Rifle Lascannon Vox
Infantry Squad
Sniper Rifle Lascannon

Heavy Weapon Squad Missile Launcherx3
Firing base

Conscripts x26
Tarpits anything that wants to get me in close combat.

Elite

Tempestus Command
Meltagun
Tempestus Scions x5
Meltagun
Still on the fence about these guys, but now that they can score that's what I'll use them for. Deep strikes to blow up tanks and to take objectives. Still not 100% on them though

Lords of War

Baneblade
Heavy Stubber, Side Sponsons

Fortifications

Aegis line with Quadgun

1850 points
112 Models
4 Warp dice

Tactics

Create a firing line with the static troops and the mobile troops will move up along with the baneblade. Stormies will deep strike in to claim far off objectives once the baneblade has cleared the area.

Thoughts?

Kaptain Badrukk
05-27-2014, 09:48 AM
I'd play it, sounds fun.

interrogator_chaplain
05-27-2014, 11:36 AM
To be fair, the trooper wasn't wrong.

I like it. It's an all comer's kind of list and I think it'll be strong. I'm hoping that having Superheavies will bring some balance to the game, especially now that the D-Bat has been covered in nerf a little bit but can still break your jaw on a 6.

Let us know how this fairs, very interested.

xTHExCLINCHERx
06-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I really like this list! I think it encompasses all aspects of a TAC list and I'm really hoping to see more lists like this in 7th edition! I'd absolutely play against this, seeing as I'd have to take a well-rounded list to deal with hordes of infantry, heavy vehicles, and elite troops; this is what 40k should be like!

Katharon
06-04-2014, 06:23 AM
I'd lose the conscripts, drop the heavy weapons from the infantry squads, and form heavy weapon squads instead. I'd also probably add another infantry squad, and have a 30-man combined squad with the priest & primaris psyker. Grenade launchers on a veteran squad are not exactly the most worthwhile investment, imho, so I'd suggest changing that to either flamers or sniper rifles. Speaking of sniper rifles, drop them from the regular infantry squads.

Just my suggestions.

Halollet
06-04-2014, 07:13 AM
I'd lose the conscripts, drop the heavy weapons from the infantry squads, and form heavy weapon squads instead. I'd also probably add another infantry squad, and have a 30-man combined squad with the priest & primaris psyker. Grenade launchers on a veteran squad are not exactly the most worthwhile investment, imho, so I'd suggest changing that to either flamers or sniper rifles. Speaking of sniper rifles, drop them from the regular infantry squads.

Just my suggestions.

You's gots to explain why a bit more. :)

30 Guardsmen > 30 Conscripts, why is that?
Last codex I would have agreed with you, but with the price drop made them easier to field and sacrifice.

Making heavy weapon teams does make more sense points wise, but with only 1 tank, the other anti tank weapons will wipe out those teams.

I'm not overly fond of the GL on the vets either. I want them mobile so snipers are out, flamers... maybe. Flamers and shotguns?

For the rifles, the reason why I put them in the infantry squads is because with the lascannons I'm usually shooting at things more then 24" away. So plasmas are out, GL are too weak, meltas/flamers too short range. Snipers are cheap, can damage MCs, and have a slim chance to damage light tanks.

This Dave
06-04-2014, 08:36 AM
You's gots to explain why a bit more. :)

30 Guardsmen > 30 Conscripts, why is that?
Last codex I would have agreed with you, but with the price drop made them easier to field and sacrifice.

Making heavy weapon teams does make more sense points wise, but with only 1 tank, the other anti tank weapons will wipe out those teams.

I'm not overly fond of the GL on the vets either. I want them mobile so snipers are out, flamers... maybe. Flamers and shotguns?

For the rifles, the reason why I put them in the infantry squads is because with the lascannons I'm usually shooting at things more then 24" away. So plasmas are out, GL are too weak, meltas/flamers too short range. Snipers are cheap, can damage MCs, and have a slim chance to damage light tanks.

In the new rules Sniper Rifles don't have Rending so they're about useless against even AV 10 vehicles. They also have to snap shoot if the unit moves, so it's not something to count on unless you plan to be completely static the whole battle. And if you move the Lascannons to a separate heavy weapon team you might as well change the sniper rifles too. They work better in Veteran or CCSes anyways due to their BS of 4.

Conscripts are good sacrificial troops because of their price. But their low BS and WS makes them not so good for anything besides that. And with their Leadership of 5 you really have to make sure that Priest doesn't die or the unit will run off at the drop of a hat. And they might even drop it themselves.

Also, remember in 7th the Quad-gun must always snap shoot at ground targets and has a limited ability to kill armored Flyers now so it's utility has been seriously reduced.

Halollet
06-04-2014, 11:06 AM
In the new rules Sniper Rifles don't have Rending so they're about useless against even AV 10 vehicles. They also have to snap shoot if the unit moves, so it's not something to count on unless you plan to be completely static the whole battle. And if you move the Lascannons to a separate heavy weapon team you might as well change the sniper rifles too. They work better in Veteran or CCSes anyways due to their BS of 4.

Conscripts are good sacrificial troops because of their price. But their low BS and WS makes them not so good for anything besides that. And with their Leadership of 5 you really have to make sure that Priest doesn't die or the unit will run off at the drop of a hat. And they might even drop it themselves.

Also, remember in 7th the Quad-gun must always snap shoot at ground targets and has a limited ability to kill armored Flyers now so it's utility has been seriously reduced.

Ah, okay. I didn't see that change to the sniper rule. Thanks! Still good against MCs. But for X points each and with MCs being everywhere I think its worth the points.

Conscripts' main purpose is to stop things from assaulting my tank.

That's true about the Quad. I don't deal with a lot of flyers so maybe I can drop it?

This Dave
06-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Ah, okay. I didn't see that change to the sniper rule. Thanks! Still good against MCs. But for X points each and with MCs being everywhere I think its worth the points.

Conscripts' main purpose is to stop things from assaulting my tank.

That's true about the Quad. I don't deal with a lot of flyers so maybe I can drop it?

It's still not bad against FMCs but if you don't have a lot of those either I'd ditch it for the 50 points. Maybe use the points to take an Ammo Dump or Comms Relay for the Aegis Line and use the rest for other options. Or make your Conscript blob larger. :) Possibly take a Commissar for the Conscripts for better Leadership and as a backup for your Priest in challenges. Though that might also do bad things is you put one of the Psykers there.