PDA

View Full Version : Wow, that 15" blast marker was a complete waste of money

Houghten
05-26-2014, 09:37 AM
I see that the 7th Edition rulebook has bumped Apocalyptic Mega-Blasts down from 5"/10"/15" to 5"/7"/10".

But... why?

They were usually worse than Apocalyptic Blasts before anyway, because of the weak middle and outer rings. Now...

Likewise the Apocalyptic Barrage reverted from the twistable template to the fixed "ace of clubs" one.

That 6th Edition lasted only two years was pretty surprising, but those templates only lasted less than one. I'm feeling a bit cheated right now. >.>

Mike X
05-26-2014, 10:47 AM
GW always does BS like that. I remember when they came out with the vehicle damage dice in 4th edition, and released 5th edition like 3 months later making them obsolete. I don't buy expansions or add-ons anymore because they seem to only sell them at the end of a cycle, and most expansions just get rolled up into the next edition.

David Crossley
05-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Well they're 'Apocalypse only' now, per the new rulebook. So still usable if you get games of Apocalypse in. Obviously for everything else you have to use the smaller clear plastic versions instead. It's still a crappy move on their part though, why even bother making the new templates if you were going to scrap em once they sold out and go back to using the old ones?

Houghten
05-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Huh, I hadn't seen that notebox on page 12.

I think that's actually worse. If you're dropping a Rok on someone's head, it can use one of two blast templates depending on, not how many points you paid for the Rok, but how many pounds you paid for the template.

Ugh.

This Dave
05-26-2014, 12:43 PM
They also went back to the old clover shaped template for Apocalyptic Barrages instead of the movable one that just came out. Although at least the rules say it's still valid to use the new one.

David Crossley
05-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Well you could still get away with using the imperial targeting set for everything thinking about it, the moveable one can be put into a clover shape and the 15" template has markings for 5", 7" and 10" on it, so you'd just have to ignore the outer ring.

But yeah, does mean that whoever paid hard cash for a set get's a 5 inch advantage on apocalyptic mega-blast weapons in Apocalypse games.

John Bower
05-27-2014, 02:01 AM
No it means you get a disadvantage from using them in normal games.... Where frankly they would be OP anyhow. I suppose the logic in that is you have to change the warhead or risk affecting your own guys in smaller battles. But in Apocalypse you use the full warhead except.. Wait for it.. It still uses the BRB D weapon table which is still a huge nerf to D weapons. And you thought you'd stop those necrons getting back up by hitting them with a Void missile.... Not anymore, they've adapted and now get up no matter what. And that guy with the 2+ invuln? Oh dear, he still gets a 2+ save, it will be like the 'nuke' bit in the old 1953 War of the worlds... "It didn't even scratch them Sir...."

I'll be honest in saying it is the one bit in 7th I hate with a vengeance. Even in SA they didn't nerf the D-weapons.

interrogator_chaplain
05-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Are the new templates not still viable in Apocalypse?