PDA

View Full Version : Space Station terrain

Eberk
05-26-2014, 05:22 AM
Hello everybody,

within a month/couple of months a friend and me are planning to play an assault on a space station/orbital station. Probably using the rules found in an Imperial Armour book (9 or 10 - the Badab War series).

But we need terrain for that - Landing bays, corridors, a bridge, giant weapon control rooms, etc...

Does anybody know any (cheap) terrain or has an idea how we can represent a space station on our gaming board (4' x 4')

Thanks in advance.

(I first want to check out what is available for sale, before we will have to create our own)

DETHMOKIL
05-28-2014, 01:03 AM
How cheap? a plank of plywood and some vinyl floor tiles as your base. Then get some polystyrene wall insulation, in 2-3 inch think sheets, cut up some walls, spray grey, done. It'd be like 30 dollars tops.

Or get plywood, a 10 sheets of textured plastic, diamond plate for example, cut out vents add layers ect, get a couple of sets of pegesus hobbies plastic sets for walls. maybe 80-120 bucks, but much nicer.

http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Peg.-Gaming-Accessories/c2/index.html

^^ mix of Gothic/industrial/obviously made for 40k sets.

-Tom-
05-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Where are you located? If UK then my friend makes a load of laser cut terrain, including an interchangeable bulk-head/decks system, and can post more details. (He will post worldwide, but of course that costs more so it will be cheaper if UK than if you're elsewhere...)

Eberk
05-29-2014, 09:44 AM
@DETHMOKIL
How cheap you ask ? Well that fine line between 'good looking terrain' and 'didn't cost me my firstborn' ;) I realy don't know how much I would like to spend on that type of terrain (problem is that it is only usable for specific mission, not your everyday battle)

@-Tom-
I live just across the channel from you :) Does your friend has a website or something where I can look at the things he creates/sells ? Much obliged

-Tom-
05-29-2014, 11:23 AM
@DETHMOKIL
How cheap you ask ? Well that fine line between 'good looking terrain' and 'didn't cost me my firstborn' ;) I realy don't know how much I would like to spend on that type of terrain (problem is that it is only usable for specific mission, not your everyday battle)

@-Tom-
I live just across the channel from you :) Does your friend has a website or something where I can look at the things he creates/sells ? Much obliged

I've sent him a message to see if he's got any photos... Last I saw of it was about 8 or 9 weeks ago when it was a WIP.

Of course it's also possible if you have something specific in mind to get it custom designed /design it yourself and cut.

I suspect you'd find that it may not be so single-use as you think. I mean, if you were making something 'space hulk' like then you would probably be using scatter terrain of things like computer consoles etc to be space-ship-y and with all the corridors and bulkheads in one connected group. Whereas you could then probably also make industrial ruins too by rebuilding the same stuff into separate towers and changing the scatter terrain mixed with it to girders, or barrels, etc. You may have to choose a very specific colour scheme I suppose if wanting it to be able to represent both, but my point stands...

-Tom-
06-01-2014, 02:59 PM
He said if you send him an email, he can see if he can sort you out with what you're after:

ed "at" wargamestournaments.com

:D

Eberk
06-03-2014, 04:14 AM
Took a look at the site. Very nice terrain but nothing that screams 'space station' to me to be honest.

I'm looking into other options at the moment, I will email your friend depending on what those other avenues will produce.

Thanks for asking though, much appreciated.

-Tom-
06-03-2014, 04:29 AM
Took a look at the site. Very nice terrain but nothing that screams 'space station' to me to be honest.

I'm looking into other options at the moment, I will email your friend depending on what those other avenues will produce.

Thanks for asking though, much appreciated.

The site isn't great for showing off what he does... he has more stuff listed no eBay than done on the website at the moment anyway, but in either case what I had in mind is something that he's got going on as a work-in-progress so wouldn't be listed on either. If you get stuck on other avenues, best bet is to email him with what you're after, as he can even just do something completely custom for you.