PDA

View Full Version : Squats!

darthbuttchin
05-25-2014, 07:02 PM
So, it was my understanding that squats had been referred to as extinct and basically ignored by GW for a long old time - they pre-date my forays into the hobby (though I accidentally picked some up at a boot sale once). However, on pg 125 of the Dark Millenium book of the new ruleset, it clearly states that Squats are a known and officially classified race, along with railings, beast men etc.

I'm not saying this means they are coming cl, but it's still pretty cool they're being referred to, no?

Db

euansmith
05-26-2014, 02:41 AM
GW claim to have killed off the Squats because they didn't know what to do with them. This allowed them to drop a whole line of miniatures from their catalog. Other companies are producing Space Dwarf models now (like Mantics Forge Fathers and Hasselfree's Grymms), so you could just grab some figures and play them with which ever Codex fits your idea of the remaining Squats. They could be based off IG/AM Veterans, Space Marine Scouts, Orkz or anything else. The new rules on detachments would allow all sorts of Squat type units to be shoe-horned in to a force. For a proper Epic 40k style Squat army they would need to be able to take multiple Lords of War :)

I think GW just refer to the Squats to maintain their IP and to taunt Squat fans :D

Wolfshade
05-26-2014, 03:20 AM
The squats were devoured officially, so the Imperium would know what they were and classify them accordingly.

In some literature the occasional Squat turns up, so while their planets were eaten some must have survived...

Throne Agent
05-26-2014, 04:21 AM
The squats were devoured officially, so the Imperium would know what they were and classify them accordingly.

In some literature the occasional Squat turns up, so while their planets were eaten some must have survived...

Actually they weren't officially devoured, this was an off the cuff comment made by a designer at a Q and A, they were just retconned in to just being another off shoot of humanity and not a seperate race

Gotthammer
05-26-2014, 04:30 AM
It's from White Dwarf 240's letters page:

“WE WANT SQUATS!
Sorry, I just assumed this was how most people have been reacting since the Squats were dropped from the 40K universe. This race was the reason I joined the Games Workshop family in the first place. If I was so impatient back in mid-2nd edition and started collecting my second choice army (Space Marines), I would have quickly lost interest and never became the obsessed freak over the game that I am today.

The history and characteristics of the Squats are interesting and unique in the 40K universe. In the 2nd edition rules they were a mix of Orks, Imperial Guard, and Space Marines... with a grudge! The honor, toughness, and excellent weaponry (I would have loved to see a Mole Mortar in action) were the big draws to this under-appreciated army. Also, something very cool about the 40K universe was the fact that it was a sci-fi mirror of the Fantasy world. Nearly every race from Fantasy had its high-tech cousins represented in the 'far, distant future', and that's how the people liked it! Would you even consider robbing the Fantasy world of Dwarfs. With their wonderful weapons and bitter-sweet rivalry with the Elves? I don't think so! Nor should we players of 40K have to do without. Just the humble opinion of one dedicated fan.

Tim Gutierrez

“Would you believe they were all eaten by the Tyranid invasion? Or, due to the Squats biker life style, everyone of the was arrested for disturbing the peace and sacrificed to the Emperor. Where do you think they get all of those souls anyway? All kidding aside, it doesn't seem likely the Squats will ever again see the light of day. When they were out they never seemed very popular, showed up at our stores, or tournaments, and didn't sell on top of all that [Note that this claim is directly contradicted by Jervis Johnson in 2002]. Their look was really outdated compared to the hundreds of other great Warhammer 40,000 models. Don't send us hate mail, it's just the cold hard facts of the 41st Millennium.”

Hungry Ghosts Chaos Squats of Khorne (http://chaossquats.blogspot.com.au/) has a very detailed history available.

Psychosplodge
05-26-2014, 06:17 AM
They were always a stable abhuman mutation iirc? descended from original settlers of mining colonies on high gravity planets?

Darren Richardson
05-26-2014, 06:23 AM
yep Psycho that's right, generations later humans ended up as Squats, I remember them vaguely, as I brought several blister packs each with 3-4 metal figures back in the very early 90's during a sale Games Workshop Croyden had (old timers will rermember they once had sales!)

I had over 30 Squat pirates, oddly they used human sized arms with their fiddly spindly las guns....

I so wish I had kept them, they would be worth a mint now :(

Psychosplodge
05-26-2014, 06:24 AM
They discontinued them just I was considering them :(

Arkhan Land
05-26-2014, 07:43 AM
bob olley (original modeler) still makes them though under a different name, the "scruntz". ive often considered making a small part of my IG army from them, probably will eventually, would have to put a big piece of slate on the base so theyre not modeling for too much advantage

Denzark
05-26-2014, 07:56 AM
The money they go for on ebay...

daboarder
05-26-2014, 08:09 AM
the reference to squats in the rule book was in the last edition rulebook as well