PDA

View Full Version : 7th Edition and Eldar Psychic powers vs Rulebook powers

JMichael
05-24-2014, 07:11 PM
The Psychic Powers cards has a quick ref chart (I did not see one in the rulebook) that states what armies can take which powers.
I assume this would cover all codices, though I'm just looking at Eldar (my Sisters have no Psykers).

For Eldar the ref says they can take Divination, Telepathy, Malefic, Sanctic, and Force.
But, the rulebook (p22, 23, & 28) states the following <paraphrasing so as not to quote. on p28, 3rd paragraph, last sentence.
The codex or army list will detail which disciplines a Psyker generates their powers from.

Codex Eldar clearly states that Farseers choose from Divination, Telepathy, and Runes of Fate.
Spiritseers choose from Telepathy and Runes of Battle.

So, what would allow my Eldar to choose from the other Rulebook powers? Why would it be listed as available to Eldar when the Codex is very clear what powers I can choose from (Of course the codex is 6th edition)?
Is there something I missed?
How does this effect your army, Eldar or otherwise?

Baldur
05-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Should be in the FAQ that updates the codex to 7th. Until then go by the new cards as the most up to date source.

Patrick Boyle
05-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Really, I think this is another symptom of the problem that they didn't have FAQs ready to go day one. This is just one of numerous Psyker related things that's busted now. How does shadow in the warp work? What does being able to reroll failed psychic tests for Tigurius mean now; can I reroll as many as I like, all of them? I seriously just do not understand how they didn't have FAQs ready day 1, a bunch of stuff just doesn't work anymore. Or have they released them since I checked earlier and I just missed them?

John Bower
05-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Anyone but Tyranids can use the Daemonic powers though, so it's not 'contradicting' anything, sure normally codex trumps rulebook, but the Eldar dex was written before the 2 new powers. Force is a Psyker thing anyway; just that I don't think Eldar have any Force weapons; though with allies of course they may be able to affect a force unit that is with them but I haven't read the 'allies' rules yet so not sure on that.
I'd just read it as the codex bit is more meant for those new codexes that aren't out yet. Orks et. al. Basically a Farseer can use Div, Telep, Force, RoF and Daemonology while a Warlock can use RoB, Force and Daemonology. Remember that Daemonology is not a 'must have' power, it's just a narrative option to be truthful, there to represent the 'desparate measures' a psyker may resort to when their army is on the ropes.

David Crossley
05-25-2014, 04:00 AM
Force is there because Eldrad has a force weapon, the new BRB explicitly states that any pysker aside from tyranids can choose daemonology powers with only Grey Knights and Daemons having further restrictions. Other than that Divination and Telepathy are in the Eldar unit profiles, so as a guide for 'which powers do units from a codex get', it is entirely correct.