PDA

View Full Version : space wolves contemptor in latest ia apoc book... number of attacks?

skeletoro
05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
So I somehow missed that ia apoc 2nd ed was updated last year with an apoc 2013 edition. I've been skimming through it and was overjoyed to see that space wolf contemptors now can take rage rather than furious charge (the latter does very little for them in 6th or 7th).

However I just noticed that the SW Contemptor has base 4 attacks, and that's before upgrading it to have a second (chain) fist. By comparison, the blood angels contemptor has a base of 3, but this already includes the bonus for 2 ccw - putting the sw contemptor ahead by 2, 3 attacks once you factor in rage.

Of course, the SW version is 10 points more expensive, and with a chainfist added is 25 points more than the dual blood claw BA contemptor.

But this strikes me as a misprint. What do you think?

Of course, assault contemptors aren't *particularly* OP to begin with, and even with 7 s10 ap1 armourbane attacks on the charge (plus a s7 HOW), they are still much slower than, say, an imperial knight. And they cannot assault out of a drop pod or the turn their storm raven transport arrives from reserves. So it's not like this is game-breaking. But that said it's a bit out of sync with the other Contemptors. And I think one of these guys would eat alive most monstrous creatures in an assault, now that smash is nerved, funnily enough!

Assuming it's a typo or oversight, is it OK to take advantage of it while it lasts? I mean, I stand by stupid rules errors when they disadvantage me (for example, no option to get ceramite for my fire raptor even though the playtest rules had it and I cannot see why they should have lost it during publication) so... play it as it lies but be prepared for an errata in the future?

Mr.Pickelz
05-24-2014, 10:42 PM
I think the rules were written to balance the unit within the selected codexes (codici?) that way, the single unit entry wouldn't shift codex balance one way or the other. Each has its place within their respective codex.

Tyrendian
05-25-2014, 03:41 AM
it's fully intended. I asked FW about that when the book came out and got that confirmed. not that I could prove it (don't have the relevant EMail exchange anymore) but since it's what stands in the book you don't need to prove anything...