PDA

View Full Version : Most Difficult Assembly.

david5th
01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I've modelling and gaming for roughly 11 years and i was curious as to what was everybody elses most difficult figure / model assembly. For me its is the Thunderfire Cannon closely followed by a Titan Tech Priest. Both were frustrating and involved shouting and blasphemy at the gods.

This is my first thread so i have no idea how it will pan out.

Lerra
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
The Thunderfire Cannon is notoriously bad. Not only are the parts often warped so that they don't fit together nicely, there are so many small parts that, even if nothing is warped, the assembly is difficult.

My vote is for the old metal Land Raider Crusader kit, though, because you never stop assembling it. I have to reassemble the hurricane bolter after every game >_<

Gotthammer
01-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Agreed on the Thunderfire - putting titans together was easier than that thing, warped to all hell for me.

Other than that the Aeronautica planes are tricky due to scale, but I can't think of anything else off of th etop of my head.

Lord Azaghul
01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
In fantasy: the goblin hewer was god aweful.
40k…hmm I only play IG, and try to stay away from metal as much as possible, but a warped chimera probably gave me the most trouble. The IG valkrye was also a beast, but that was main a because it took much longer to assemble then I thought it would.

sukigod
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Killer Kans and Deff Dreads for orks are nototiously bad due to very old molds. Alignment is horrific and you need lots and lots of glue to keep them from snapping as there's nothing to pin against for the arms.

The new Shokk Attack Big Mek, while a fantastic model, it very, very tricky as there's four "floating" parts that all need to align to assemble correctly. Try holding 4 parts together and glue and spray accelerant..... Yep.

The balance on the old Ork Stormboyz was pretty weak as well. Sneeze and the entire mob fell over.

theHman
01-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Red Terror was quite a challenge - mostly to my patience.

But it did take a lot of drilling, pinning and multiple types of glue.
Not to mention a big fat metal washer glued to the base in order to avoid the dreaded tipsy tyranid.

Jiggs
01-11-2010, 02:50 PM
For me the hardest or the most annoying was ghazghkull. not only is he heavy with only a few parts but I only had brush on glue. I finally got him together, decided to sleep on the couch and put him on a stand next to my feet. Woke up to the phone ringing and guess what..... I knocked him over and was out of glue:(
I finally got him built later that day.

rbryce
01-11-2010, 03:29 PM
for 40k, its not so much difficulty, so much as my first big plastic kit, the immolator, and its all ive bought since, as its the basis for all my tanks/conversions. in fantasy itd be the dwarf spear thrower, it was warped beyond belief. Followed by the gyrocopter, went together fine, but my daughter dropped it :(

sangrail777
01-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I'll have to go with the Warhound titan, it was such a pain. I had to learn so many techniques just to make it look playable. it was a hell of a learning experience.
red terror was a pain
thunderfire is just sitting on my desk
and my two Reavers are giving me the evil eye

Aldramelech
01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Goodbye

Lord Azaghul
01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Dwarf Girocopter, hands down......

This was the 2nd metal model I ever put together.
The gyros danged prop blades. I had to superglue that 'too tiny to pin' joint, after trying to hold it in place a dozen times over an hour or so I finally figured out how to prop it up so that it would dry in place...two years later, my cat steps on the blade and breaks...I was beyond angry!:p

Spellscape
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Try Exorcist - crapy bended metal+plastic ;) Try to stick organ to rhino - you'll see Gyrocopter as easiest model :-)

Grotzooka
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Anything metal.

Tetz
01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Im fairly new to it but so far it's the stupid Chaos Obliterator. It's been my first experience in to metal models and all the silly knives and guns on the arms/hands drive me nuts. I finally get it assembled only to start painting and have a couple of them fall off... ugh

Darkriver
01-11-2010, 08:19 PM
The Penitent Engine was a huge pain for me. I eventually assembled and reassembled the one I had so many times that I became a shop pro at it.

Morgrim
01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
I haven't put together any really terrible ones. Worst so far was the dark elf hydra. The necks have a nasty habit of rocking in their joins as you try to glue them even when pinned, always have serious gaps that need greenstuffing afterwards, and you have to be really careful in dryfitting and positioning the lot because if you angle one incorrectly the next won't fit. So it's a bit of dry fitting, memorising where one goes, removing them, gluing that one and letting it dry and gap filling, then repeating 4 more times.

BDub
01-11-2010, 11:32 PM
The worst I have ever seen was the wholly unwieldy, so heavy it pull itself apart, nothing fit, parts warped/broken/bent/dented, limited edition (thank God) metal Thunderhawk. I swear it must have weighed 8 pounds easy and cracked and fell apart every time you moved it. It was so awkward to package they had to ship it in a limited edition wooden case becasue it would have destroyed plastic or cardboard.

SombreBrotherhood
01-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Krootox - never have I experienced such a non-fitted model...and this before I found love for greenstuff. Instead I wound up using a thick epoxy that ran everywhere and obscured most of the belly detail. The odd join at the gunner's legs was a pain, too, and the whole shebang had to be rescued at painting by a friend to keep it from total disaster.

Aenir
01-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Ghaz was pretty bad,I think that the Nightbringer was rather difficult, his scythe doesnt like to stay on

overall, a Land Raider Ares that i put together, greenstuff everywhere (im no pro), clipped pieces of Vindicator everywhere eugh... what a nightmare

Cryl
01-12-2010, 01:48 AM
I've got to second the old LRC kit with the metal hurricane bolters, that was an utter pain to assemble. The Gondor Trebuchet from Lord of the Rings and the Witch King on Fell Beast kits are also pretty awful and fiddly to put together

murrburger
01-12-2010, 04:06 AM
The 3rd edition Landspeeder. No matter what I do, it's always a warped piece of crap held together with rubber bands. It still won't glue properly to this day.

Culial
01-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Anything metal.
Quoted for truth.

Also, add my vote for the Thunderfire Cannon & Techmarine Gunner :mad:
Worst. Model(s). Ever!

L192837465
01-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Hardest model ever? 1) titan (any), 2) old landspeeders, 3) metal bloodthirster, 4) (I've only seen the horror that is this model) the FW slaanesh greater deamon. That thing had like, 60 spikes that had to be individually clipped and filled in place.

Bigred
01-12-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm jumping onboard the Obliterator train.

I won't buy any more of those and I NEED them in my army...

RealGenius
01-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I say any of the models where metal is joined to plastic. Like the Eldar Prism Cannon. Bug huge metal crystal held on to the turret by a tiny plastic shaft. I've heard the old LRC are bad like that as well.

I personally detested the old Chimeras because, who thought that would go together well?

mstingray
01-12-2010, 10:20 AM
The slann mage priest for lizardmen is really heavy, and trying to make it fit together is a pain. I also found the hole that the flying base had to fit in was not straight at all, resulting in a tipping priest

Lord Azaghul
01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
The slann mage priest for lizardmen is really heavy, and trying to make it fit together is a pain. I also found the hole that the flying base had to fit in was not straight at all, resulting in a tipping priest

Hey I forgot about that guy! The whole was the biggest problem: great idea gw using a platic peg to hold up a metal model! I ended up getting ride of the army before I solved that problem.

david5th
01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I would like to say that i am very grateful for the repsonse this thread has got. I didnot think anyone would be interested so thanks.

Lerra
01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Pink Horrors of Tzeentch are probably the worst troops choice to assemble. Their tiny arms are too small to pin but glue is pretty ineffective. Greenstuffing that many troops models (36!) gives me nightmares . . .

edit: Is anyone else having problems posting to the forums? I keep getting error messages, but I can edit old posts. "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 30 seconds." regardless of the time since last post.

david5th
01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
I am having that 30 second posting problem but it has taken awhile for me to be able to respond . I have reported it to forum admin.

Vepr
01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Zoanthrope. Not only is it the most top heavy fig out there if you do not pin it, it is going to come apart when it falls over. And as far as falling over it is not a question of if but when.

Cryl
01-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Very True, the zoanthrope is a pain to build. The metal gargoyles were also deeply annoying to make, less of a problem these days with the plastic kits

sebi81
01-14-2010, 07:18 AM
The old metal Balrog from LotR (I use it as a demon prince) was hard to build. It needed a lot of greenstuff to fill the gaps between the bodyparts and the plastic wings.
The Krootox had the same problems, the two halfs of the body just didn´t fit together.

darthrex354
01-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm new, but I still haven't got the head to stick on canis wolfborns wolf. Ive wasted half a bottle of glue on that ba$tard

Unlighted
03-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Demon Prince attaching the torso to the legs. I'm still struggling to get it attached good enough to be able to support the heavy upper body which of course leans forward causing a natural stress point. The join point doesn't fit tightly and there's literally nothing but air to pin the bottom half to....

I'm probably going to have to just stuff a wad of Green Stuff in there and brace the Prince into the right pose...

Lerra
03-02-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm probably going to have to just stuff a wad of Green Stuff in there and brace the Prince into the right pose...

This is what I had to do, and it worked out well (although I used Super Sculpey instead of green stuff to save money). I didn't have to pin the torso. Just adding more surface for the glue to adhere to worked like a charm.

Tynskel
03-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Zoanthrope. Not only is it the most top heavy fig out there if you do not pin it, it is going to come apart when it falls over. And as far as falling over it is not a question of if but when.

I don't know if I have you beat...

but Hormagaunts. I am not talking about the plastic ones... I am talking about the 2nd Edition ones that look like Aliens from the movie 'Alien'.

1) they break right at the slot to foot joint. At that point, it is REALLLLLLLY hard to glue them to their base.

2) Wobbly Model Syndrome Rule (p. 13), I think, was written for these guys... even with weights on their bases, I still have problems with them falling over- Even on flat terrain!

Mystery.Shadow
03-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Guess you never put together those Metal Venomthropes....

I had to not only pin them, but greenstuffed them as well! But these puppies surely are not coming apart now!!

Worst assembly was for a Tau Tigershark X-1-0. Had to file forever to get the engines to fit. If anything, this is the reson I'll have lung cancer.

Madness
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I missed the " 'll " part of the last sentence. Having read it a second time made me much less worried.

Duke
03-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Im throwing in my two cents with "Eldar Revenant Titan." I hate putting that thing together.

Duke