PDA

View Full Version : Question to the community

LordGrise
05-19-2014, 06:04 PM
So the other week, I buy a HWK-whatever-the-number-is, the light freighter. A few days pass, I go Oh Yeah, I did buy that, didn't I? and I open it up. Yeah, it seems I got the super-stealth collector's model, identifiable by the lack of one of the uprights on the rear end! Hm. So in a fit of absolute genius, I grab my soft nose pliers and I pull the other upright out. There, now it looks symmetrical, at least side to side. I'll just hang on to this little bit for future reference... and that's when old habits and new hobby collided. I started thinking about where I could put it back on...

So my question to the community here is this: is modding the ships cool, or is it like 40K, where if you kitbash a model to any significant degree, it essentially becomes unplayable? See, I'm thinking that with a bit of 'card and some Tamiya putty, I could take the turbines off of one of the space marines I'm never going to play again, and turbocharge the hell out of the way this HWK looks. Doesn't change its' play characteristics, or ranges, or anything... and while I'm at it, clip and magnetize the turret, maybe relocate it away from the peg to somewhere more visible.

I have to confess, I already modded my B-wing so it can assume more cinematic attack postures... but I found that online, so I'm guessing I'm not the only one to do that. Custom paint seems to be well-accepted...

So what hath the community to say on this subject?

Weidekuh
05-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Painting and modding is finde, as long as the ship is recognisable. I think it's cool if the ships look slightly different on the table. Mines are also painted.

Nabterayl
05-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Agreed. Unlike 40K, this is not a miniatures game in any mechanical sense. You have a proper sized base, you have a proper pilot/card insert, you have everything you need to play the ship and everything an opponent would need to know about it on the board. The miniature on top is just for fun, so as long as it's recognizable (e.g., don't go modding your HWK-290 to look like a Y-wing), mod away!

Cpt Codpiece
05-20-2014, 01:05 PM
there is a HUGE community who make custom cards and vehicles, mel miniatures (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures) has some amazing ships on offer.

as long as its EU most people are cool :)

there are custom card makers (http://home.comcast.net/~jason.fuller/cardGenerator.html) with point calculators also if you wanna go nuts, i just made 2 sith infiltrator cards last week. pretty balanced and expensive LOL

LordGrise
05-20-2014, 02:22 PM
there is a HUGE community who make custom cards and vehicles, mel miniatures (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures) has some amazing ships on offer.

as long as its EU most people are cool :)

there are custom card makers (http://home.comcast.net/~jason.fuller/cardGenerator.html) with point calculators also if you wanna go nuts, i just made 2 sith infiltrator cards last week. pretty balanced and expensive LOL

Just wow. I was thinking about trying my hand at doing an Outrider... and the card creator ::grin:: Thank you Captain, very much! I had no idea this stuff was out there...

Ben_S
05-20-2014, 03:45 PM
is modding the ships cool, or is it like 40K, where if you kitbash a model to any significant degree, it essentially becomes unplayable?

You lost me. In my experience, 40k (and GW games generally) are more accepting of conversions/kibashes/scratch-builds than just about any other game with official miniatures.

Cpt Codpiece
05-20-2014, 04:44 PM
You lost me. In my experience, 40k (and GW games generally) are more accepting of conversions/kibashes/scratch-builds than just about any other game with official miniatures.

just try taking a model kit tank with your guard army, or a general for your fantasy army that you happened to buy from avatars of war..... into a GW shop for a game......

when people use other models/ranges alot of people complain and even ban you from a shop in some cases.

just look at the whining from using larger bases on a character model in 40K, even though in a multi assault it would be probably worse for them to have a big base.

@lord grise...
here is a link (http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/2481-sith-infiltrator/) to my post on an x wing forum (sorry for plug ;P) about some custom cards i made for the revell pocket infiltrator..... (tie phantom cards are on the FFG phantom preview page if you wanna just print them off :) as those are the stealth rules i have used on the 45 pt monster)

LordGrise
05-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Thank you again, Captain. Don't mind registering at all...

First, Big Red: please don't be mad at me for addressing a 40K concern in this forum? It's in context, and so I plead requirements of courtesy and clarity, if only to explain my motivation for asking the question in the first place?

Ben, 40K is a worldwide community, so please understand that my comments apply to the San Antonio TX community ONLY: I have found the community hereabouts to be no better than curiously tolerant (Looks cool. Why did you do that? - exact quote) of kitbashes and extensive mods - and even then, only as long as it's explicitly a show-and-tell piece only. I was de facto accused of trying to cheat for bringing a Tau-refurbed Sentinel to the table and wanting to play it as a crisis suit stand-in for my gue'vasa, despite me proving it was a legal load-out for a crisis suit. One of the many reasons I'm in hiatus and seriously contemplating selling my 40K off.

::grin:: Also why I'm here and getting into XWM, so back on subject, hey? One super charged HWK, now in the works... Must be a smuggler up to no good...

spaceman91
05-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Most of the people I have talked to use moded models. Its no big deal in x-wing as long as your opponent knows what it is