PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Codex Techmarine Rule question?

Xaric
05-18-2014, 05:01 AM
Ok it said For each HQ choice in your army (not including other Techmarines, Servitors, Command Squads or Honor Guard) you may include a Techmarines.

Does this mean you can only ever have 1 Techmarine?
would this disallow me to take a Thunderfire Cannon?
How useful are Techmarines?
How useful are Servitors?
If I used Servitors with Heavy Bolters would they benefit from Imperial fist Chapter Tactics?

Xaric
05-18-2014, 05:24 AM
Also to add I have a razorback from my Devastator Squad can I use that Razorback to transport the techmarine and his servitors at the start of the game?

Houghten
05-18-2014, 06:16 AM
No, it does not mean you can only have one Techmarine. You have two HQ slots in a standard FOC, after all. If they are both filled with Captains, Chapter Masters, Librarians, Chaplains or special characters, you can have two Techmarines. However, if all you have is one Captain and his Command Squad, you can only have one Techmarine; neither the Command Squad nor the Techmarine actually takes up an HQ slot.

No, it does not prevent you from taking a Thunderfire Cannon. The Techmarine crewing the cannon is chosen as part of the Thunderfire Cannon's unit, which is Heavy Support, and is not subject to the restrictions listed in the Techmarine entry in the HQ section.

Kinda useful if you want to keep your vehicles alive that little bit longer, plus they're effectively a cheap power fist. Mostly they look cool, though. Doubly so for the models with power axes, who never get any use out of them.

Servitors are dead handy if you want to use your Techmarine to repair stuff. You can even attach two Techmarines to the same unit, boosting both of their rolls for the cost of only one Servitor unit. As far as using them as gun platforms goes, though, their BS3 kinda hurts them.

Servitors do not have the Chapter Tactics special rule, and therefore cannot benefit from it.

Dedicated transports may not begin the game carrying any unit other than the unit they were bought for (and any characters you may have attached to it, subject to carrying capacity). However, they can start the game hiding behind it and then hop in at the beginning of your first turn.

Katharon
05-18-2014, 07:26 AM
If you want to take servitors for a little extra umpf for your mid-range weaponry, then giving them plasma cannons is a good way to go. And if you want to be really crazy, you can take two MotF and two Techmarines -- and have four people on the field capable of repairing hull points, busted tracks, and destroyed weapons.

John Bower
05-19-2014, 12:10 AM
And to throw in some confusion; 7th ed at the w/end and that will up the amount of HQ's you can theoretically take so adding to the number of techmarines you can use. :) "Unbound" lists for the win. lol

Katharon
05-19-2014, 12:38 AM
And to throw in some confusion; 7th ed at the w/end and that will up the amount of HQ's you can theoretically take so adding to the number of techmarines you can use. :) "Unbound" lists for the win. lol

Nothing but Techmarines...god the horror.

Houghten
05-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Consider this: a single Imperial Knight, backed up by six Masters of the Forge and six Techmarines, all attached to one unit of Servitors to boost their repair rolls to 2+. And hiding behind its legs.

If you don't knock off all its hullpoints in one go, it gets restored to "as new" every turn.

ElectricPaladin
05-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Consider this: a single Imperial Knight, backed up by six Masters of the Forge and six Techmarines, all attached to one unit of Servitors to boost their repair rolls to 2+. And hiding behind its legs.

If you don't knock off all its hullpoints in one go, it gets restored to "as new" every turn.

As it stands now, you can't fix allied vehicles.

Trust me - as a Blood Angels 'dex player, I've got some of the only techmarines that can keep up with a Knight... but it's no dice.

Tepogue
05-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Nothing but Techmarines...god the horror.

2nd Edition says Hi!

In second Ed, a character costing, 50 or 51 points was worth no victory points. I ran into a guy
at a tournament who had 10 techmarines with combi weapons, which were worth 0 points if you killed them.

Katharon
05-19-2014, 07:38 AM
2nd Edition says Hi!

In second Ed, a character costing, 50 or 51 points was worth no victory points. I ran into a guy
at a tournament who had 10 techmarines with combi weapons, which were worth 0 points if you killed them.

Hahaha, I remember that! I did something similar with a lot of IG characters. ;P

Houghten
05-19-2014, 11:49 AM
As it stands now, you can't fix allied vehicles.

Trust me - as a Blood Angels 'dex player, I've got some of the only techmarines that can keep up with a Knight... but it's no dice.

How so?

- Blessing of the Omnissiah works on "friendly" vehicles

- Battle Brothers are "friendly" "for all intents and purposes" (except embarking in transports)

- Blood Angels and Knights are Battle Brothers

So where's the restriction?

ElectricPaladin
05-19-2014, 12:10 PM
How so?

- Blessing of the Omnissiah works on "friendly" vehicles

- Battle Brothers are "friendly" "for all intents and purposes" (except embarking in transports)

- Blood Angels and Knights are Battle Brothers

So where's the restriction?

I believe that there's an FAQ that says that you can't... I'll check when I'm not at work.

Ursa
05-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Actually I believe the faq says u can repair other vehicles.

DR.V
05-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Sorry guys it is a no. I wanted nothing more to have my Master of the Forge on a bike fixing my IG tanks but no. It all could change with 7th sooo I hope to know by Friday.

Here is the FAQ:
Q: Can models from an Allied Detachment that have the ability to repair Hull Points or Immobilised/Weapon Destroyed results from
the Vehicle Damage Table use this ability on Allied vehicles? (p112)
A: No.

Xaric
05-20-2014, 04:34 PM
A army of techmarines and land raiders :D

Houghten
05-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Booyeah! 7th Edition reversed the ruling; Battle Brothers explicitly can now repair each others' vehicles!

Operation: Immortal Knight is go!

StraightSilver
05-27-2014, 03:56 AM
And you don't even have to go Unbound now, just take a few detachments of Marines for the extra HQs in a combined arms list, or take IG either as allies or a detachment (all Imperial armies are now the same faction and battle Brothers) and take Tech Priests. :)

But for the Knight Tech marine on bike is your best bet. ;)