PDA

View Full Version : Retiring previous editions

Necron2.0
05-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Not sure if this is exactly the correct area to ask this but ... oh well.

I've been playing 40K only since fourth edition, and the hundreds of dollars I've spent are now taking up valuable real-estate on my shelves. Other than using them for nerdy decoupage or else (equally tempting) setting them atop a funeral pyre of old tires and halogenated plastics - my personally signature to climate change - what use can these older editions be put to? What do you guys do with your outdated editions?

ElectricPaladin
05-14-2014, 10:53 AM
My FLGS will buy 'em for a couple of books and then resell them. I don't know why anyone would buy 'em - nostalgia value, maybe? - but I often turn piles of old books into new books and minis.

This Dave
05-14-2014, 11:56 AM

I've been playing 40K only since fourth edition, and the hundreds of dollars I've spent are now taking up valuable real-estate on my shelves. Other than using them for nerdy decoupage or else (equally tempting) setting them atop a funeral pyre of old tires and halogenated plastics - my personally signature to climate change - what use can these older editions be put to? What do you guys do with your outdated editions?

Mine go in a Tupperware bin in the storeroom to join every other old edition and codex since Rogue Trader. I try not to think about how much money I've sunk into what's in there. :)

I still have a copy of 6th edition Collector's Edition still sealed in its box GW sent me by mistake. Guess I waited a bit too long to try and eBay it. :)

Thebasementgamer
05-14-2014, 12:02 PM
I have a cardboard box in my basement filled with old 40K, fantasy, and D&D books.

DrLove42
05-14-2014, 12:36 PM
I have my gaming shelf.

Its starting to get a little full. Might have to start finding a home for the old codexes, rule book and Imperial Armours....

Nick1080
05-14-2014, 12:52 PM
You can get a surprising amount on EBay - for example I made about £150 last week selling off: 1st ed battle and vehicle manuals, 2nd ed rulebooks, cards and templates, Adeptus Titanicus rule books, Dark Future rulebooks, a bunch of old citadel journals and a few miscellaneous other GW books including a WFRP rulebook - I was pretty surprised, was expecting a couple of pounds each at best, I mostly just put them up because I had to clear my rubbish out of my Mum's garage finally and I didn't want to just throw it all out. YMMV of course

Lord Asterion
05-14-2014, 01:22 PM
I have mine stored in a storage box until the house move, when they will all be arranged on shelves next to a sofa in my gaming room, a complete collection of 2nd Ed books, most 3rd and 4th ed codexes and most current codexes, along with a variety of other game books from other systems, a lot of WFB Army books from the 90s and a range of white dwarfs from 50 to now (not at all complete but a good selection to show the different eras of the magazine at least), if you come over to mine for a game and have some down time, you'll be able to sit back with a cuppa and flick through some gaming history, can't wait!

I'm one of the people that will buy older stuff on ebay for a surprising amount! Most of my friends and I played a lot in the 90s, so stuff from that era holds a lot of nostalgia for us and is worth the price to feel like a 10 year old kid again!

Sainhann
05-14-2014, 02:54 PM
My FLGS will buy 'em for a couple of books and then resell them. I don't know why anyone would buy 'em - nostalgia value, maybe? - but I often turn piles of old books into new books and minis.

Why maybe because they would prefer to play 2nd or 3rd Edition 40K or even Rogue Trader.

Lunar Camel
05-14-2014, 06:31 PM
I still have all of mine since 3rd edition. There's still some good stuff in them. Want to play a different scenario or use special rules? Pull out those old editions and you can get some pretty nifty ideas.

Sainhann
05-14-2014, 06:40 PM
I have all of mine before 4th Edition, So Rogue Trader, 2nd Edition & 3rd Edition.

Harley
05-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Mail them back to GW with a note that says: Thanks for the Memories.

Wolfshade
05-15-2014, 01:58 AM
Mine sit in edition order on my shelf, next to codecii in order of alphabet and edition.

Then break them out for the annual retro weekend, 1 army that must be compliant in all edition rules, then a series of campaigns using them from 1 to 5 to see who is the undestputed master of 40k all editions.

Obviously, things to remember if you are playing a 2000pt 6th ed game it is probably around 4000pt 2nd ed and thats where things get clunky....

The Slann
05-15-2014, 10:05 AM
I just keep them all and look into them sometimes, when I need some old school inspiration for terrain and stuff. Sam with my lizardmen books, have all since 5th.

And the shortstories/background sections are all neat and fun someti

dreadtanker
05-15-2014, 12:44 PM
I feel like a traitor nerd for not saving mine but for my nephews last birthday I sent them all my old white dwarf and old codex. He likes drawing monsters so I hope he finds some inspiration and maybe joins the hobby.

Wolfshade
05-16-2014, 02:10 AM
I feel like a traitor nerd for not saving mine but for my nephews last birthday I sent them all my old white dwarf and old codex. He likes drawing monsters so I hope he finds some inspiration and maybe joins the hobby.

No this is perfectly acceptable usage, get them interesting in the lore and then when they are older convert them. The Jervis is strong with this one.

Cutter
05-16-2014, 02:45 AM

I play them.

"What are we playing this weekend?"

"40k?"

"Edition?"

"3rd?"

"Ok"

Lord-Boofhead
05-16-2014, 07:48 AM
I have all my old editions on a separate shelf, sometimes I like/want to read the old fluff that hasn't been updated.

Just the other day I had an argument about the Wolf and the Lion with a mate and whipped out my copy of Angels of Death and was proved right...

- - - Updated - - -

I play them.

"What are we playing this weekend?"

"40k?"

"Edition?"

"3rd?"

"Ok"

Why would any one choose to play 3rd over anything else, over simplified game and horrid dull Codexes.

I get the RT and 2nd ed Oldhammer dudes, but 3rd ed nostalgia Its the current edition but crapper?

- - - Updated - - -

You can get a surprising amount on EBay - for example I made about £150 last week selling off: 1st ed battle and vehicle manuals, 2nd ed rulebooks, cards and templates, Adeptus Titanicus rule books, Dark Future rulebooks, a bunch of old citadel journals and a few miscellaneous other GW books including a WFRP rulebook - I was pretty surprised, was expecting a couple of pounds each at best, I mostly just put them up because I had to clear my rubbish out of my Mum's garage finally and I didn't want to just throw it all out. YMMV of course

Its mostly guys who got into the hobby in later editions wanting some of the cool stuff thats only in one or two books.I got into the hobby in 2nd ed and would love some RT hard copies.

Got a few dupes myself and will be selling them on Ebay soon.

magickbk
05-16-2014, 02:41 PM
I have a second shelf for retired books. I also have a lot of old models in my armies, so I look back through them for hobby inspiration, or to see how a particular model was painted by 'Eavy Metal back in the day.

Voltigeur
05-19-2014, 04:52 AM
All of my GW books are retired as I stopped buying rule books books during 5th. I just stopped seeing the value of owning them. I still keep up with the game but through more nefarious means. I keep all my old stuff on a bookshelf and go back to them whenever I want to read some fluff.

Cutter
05-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Why would any one choose to play 3rd over anything else, over simplified game and horrid dull Codexes.

I get the RT and 2nd ed Oldhammer dudes, but 3rd ed nostalgia Its the current edition but crapper?

Nostalgia I guess. I don't tend to overthink it.

Dave Mcturk
05-19-2014, 09:46 AM
got to confess. 6th ed is the only one ive chopped up in frustration- 3rd 4th and vth sit on a shelf for 'back reference' !

Necron2.0
05-22-2014, 09:53 AM
I'm with you, Dave. I've only been playing since 4th ed, but clearly 6th ed wasn't an improvement. I found it particularly annoying the number of times you'd read "Special ability 'X' is special abilities 'Y' and 'Z', with the addition of <blah, blah, blah>." Hopefully that changes in 7th ed.