PDA

View Full Version : That new edition itch.

Mr Mystery
05-13-2014, 02:28 PM
How do?

So 7th Ed is up for pre-order as of Friday, which means I'm feeling the urge to do a shiny new army. Ideally one I haven't done before.

I'm thinking perhaps Blood Angels, as I've never used that Chapter before, and it's been yonks since I did an Astartes army.

Anyone else feeling the spending urge?

Maelstorm
05-13-2014, 02:51 PM
I'll be building Grey Knights as the red-headed stepchildren from 5th edition.

DrBored
05-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I just started Space Sharks, and don't have a fully optimized list for them yet, but otherwise I'm right there with you. I'm eager to see what looks good and what doesn't when the edition drops. If vehicles and psykers get boosts, I'll be getting a Librarian and a few Predators...

daboarder
05-13-2014, 05:33 PM
so what do you already have/ have done?

deinol
05-13-2014, 08:28 PM
I was already feeling the Imperial Guard urge, but I promised myself I wouldn't buy (any more) stuff until I finished painting my Eldar for the Independent Character's hobby painting challenge.

ElectricPaladin
05-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Blood Angels are awesome, but consider doing one of their successors. There are some neat chapters and neat color schemes there. I've been rocking the Knights of Blood for about a year and having a great time with 'em.

BrianDavion
05-13-2014, 08:36 PM
I just started guard. although 7th might have me instead revise my CSMs or alter my planned list for IGs. maybe go psyker heavy

deinol
05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
I just started guard. although 7th might have me instead revise my CSMs or alter my planned list for IGs. maybe go psyker heavy
Between Astropaths, Weirdvane Psykers, and Primaris psykers, you can get a lot of psykers in an IG if you really want. And that's not even with allies.

Caitsidhe
05-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Going Psyker heavy is going to depend a lot on the new rules in their entirety. If all the rumors of late are true, managing to cast anything is going to be very random and the chances for Perils far greater than before. It turns the Psyker Phase into Russian Roulette. If we are to assume that the rumor stating you get to use up to your Mastery +1 in dice per Spell, the average attempt for a Warp Charge-3 Spell fails.

skilgannan
05-13-2014, 10:34 PM
After my local gaming clubs hobby challenge I will prob start a new army and thinking of blood angels.

ElectricPaladin
05-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Blood Angels are a good choice for psyker heavy, IMHO. We can do librarians, who are pretty tough and make good additions to any kind of unit. However, the addition of librarian dreadnoughts makes for a great place to slot in more Mastery Levels. If you want to go all crazy, add in an Inquisitorial detachment for another Mastery Level, and add some psykers to your Inquisitor's retinue for another Mastery Level... it could make for fun times.

Da Gargoyle
05-13-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm thinking perhaps Blood Angels, as I've never used that Chapter before, and it's been yonks since I did an Astartes army.

What armies have you done? If it is just SM then it is not a real change but you would still have to adjust your thinking when gaming them. (Just an observation not a criticism)

I have done Orks and Eldar. My son did CSM and now IG with a serious collection of armour. We have a large collection of Ultra Marines, which I name in full because people call them " 'nilla " in a rather derogatory fashion. I have gamed with them and they are fun. I have used IG and CSM also but I like Eldar the best. I think Orks look wild and cool but the updated codex either obliterated former choices or used stats to make choices untenable (See flash gitz as an example). It is either do their massive mobs or go small force for expensive upgrades. Small in Ork means dead.

So, as you might expect, I am now looking at Tau for something new. Shooty and hi tech. But it will have to wait a while because I have a swag of Eldar still to paint and they do well in Psyker terms.

Mr Mystery
05-13-2014, 11:53 PM
It's honestly quicker to list what I haven't played over the years!

Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templars and Imperial Guard.

Everything else covered at one point or another, and currently Necrons :)

Not overly fussed about picking 'optimal' units, more concerned with 'is it cool?'

daboarder
05-14-2014, 12:29 AM
Embrace the chaos gods then mystery, come into the dark, shed the light and enjoy the fall.

Wolfshade
05-14-2014, 01:38 AM
I am reliably informed that I do not need to go on a spending spree as I have enough already :(

Darren Richardson
05-14-2014, 01:49 AM
I am reliably informed that I do not need to go on a spending spree as I have enough already :(

ah TSO has put their foot down have they Wolfie?

That's the only reason I enjoy still being single.... :(

As for me, while I try and get painting my Space Marines I've added a unit of IG to it so far, so I may yet add more.

I'm thinking of a combined arms kind of army.

Wolfshade
05-14-2014, 01:59 AM
Yeah, it's not like two spare rooms are full of the stuff.

I tried this quote:

Give me a hundred Space Marines. Or failing that give me a thousand other troops

To justify an AM/Baal PDF thingy, I was met with a withering look and indifference. So one of my hounds eat her sock...

Vengence is mine!

Mr Mystery
05-14-2014, 02:44 AM
Good doggy! Cool doggy!

Psychosplodge
05-14-2014, 03:12 AM
I keep trying, but babe don't you want to play orks?

Mr Mystery
05-14-2014, 03:23 AM
Embrace the chaos gods then mystery, come into the dark, shed the light and enjoy the fall.

Played them under the 3.5 Codex. I like the current models, but have also just sold my Dark Vengeance set. Well. I say sold. Swapped them for a new choppa to be used in LARP later this year! (Kustom Choppa too!)

Lord Asterion
05-14-2014, 05:16 AM
Im going to start painting the horde of Orks I have built up, about 200 boys and only 30 of them are finished! New edition and a new codex soon after, should be good!

Darren Richardson
05-14-2014, 05:58 AM
Im going to start painting the horde of Orks I have built up, about 200 boys and only 30 of them are finished! New edition and a new codex soon after, should be good!

hah my 100 Space Marines are better then your 200 Orks, The Codex says so :p

Lord Asterion
05-14-2014, 06:30 AM

I also have at least 100 Space Marines assembled as well, and 4 Dreads and some tanks, urgh, I need to get painting

Power Klawz
05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Still trying to finish my orks and CSM. Since I paint at a glacial pace I'll probably be ready for a new army by 9th edition.

Psychosplodge
05-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Bad news, to move the story on The Imperium triumphs over chaos in 8th...

Andrew Thomas
05-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Ripper Rush, Inquisition, Scions, or Necrons. Really want Rippers though. Highly underrated unit.

interrogator_chaplain
05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
I'll probably start working on getting a lot of my Deathwing painted. After I finish working on getting my Imperial Sector done up and painted, I'll get my converted Ravenwing Librarian painted and then get my Cataphractii Deathwing done and then maybe my Deathwing Knights, then after that there's a ton of Terminators I have just sitting around.

DrBored
05-14-2014, 11:28 AM
so what do you already have/ have done?

I already have a Chaplain, Command Squad, Razorback, two Tac squads, two Rhinos, one LR Redeemer, one Ironclad, one Stormtalon, one squad of Lightning Claw Terminators, and Tyberos the Red Wake.

I'll be getting at least one Drop Pod for the Ironclad, and maybe another Stormtalon and a couple of Lascannon Preds to help me pop those big nasties that people seem to like to bring.

Cien Zaufania
05-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Hi all, first post on these forums.

I'm not sure how much I'm starting a new army as restarting my Blood Angels successor chapter. Its been a long time since I've played them what with my first army (Imperial Guard) getting a new shiny codex. I've already got a sizable army built, now they just need to get some painting and will be tabletop worthy.

Sainhann
05-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Spending urge, nope can't say that I will.

Since why do I need to when I already have five armies.

White Tiger88
05-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Selling 80% of my demons and buying high elves & FW Alpha Legion......

Sainhann
05-14-2014, 05:55 PM

True, but numbers do win out and with not needing to live by the Force Composition Chart any more, Orks will become a very nasty army to deal with.

I can now field my 130 Gretchen plus the Orks that I have. Oh and that is well over 300+ models.

With Unbound you can field some real nasty armies.

Since you are no longer limited to just 6 units of troops.

So if you want to field a Burna & Loota army you can, you know like 3-4 units of Burna's and 3-4 units of Loota's each 10-12 Orks in Size plus Trukks for the Burna Boyz.

or

Eldar can now field the Avatar, Farseer & Autarch thus giving them far more ability to put the right type of Leader where it is needed.

Dorgicus
05-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Just bought a bunch to finish up my nids :)
2 exocrines, 1 tyrant, 2 Crones, 4 broodlords, 2 boxes of stealers, 2 boxes of warriors (shrike wings waiting for them!), 3 zoeys, a scythed hierodule and a swarm box :)

Plenty to build as you can see!!

Wolfshade
05-15-2014, 02:28 AM
An army is never finished....

Mr Mystery
05-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Shh!

You'll terrify the NooBs.

I mean, what's next? Are you going to let them in that once all your models are painted, you die?

Wolfshade
05-15-2014, 06:09 AM
My painting count for last year was like -27 or something stupid. :(

Psychosplodge
05-15-2014, 06:19 AM
So you're functionally immortal?

Mine was 1.5 but neither model is completed...

Wolfshade
05-15-2014, 06:24 AM
So you're functionally immortal?

Mine was 1.5 but neither model is completed...

Essentially, yes.

Darren Richardson
05-15-2014, 06:49 AM
I also have at least 100 Space Marines assembled as well, and 4 Dreads and some tanks, urgh, I need to get painting

yeah mine need painting too!

- - - Updated - - -

An army is never finished....

Nice one Wolfie, Mystery is right you'll scare away our vict.... new bloods.

TheKennanator
05-15-2014, 08:15 AM
I think I'm going to get a TIE Defender :P

I can't keep up with the game anymore. TSO has informed me that I haven't seriously played since the 2013 BOLSCON, so there's little reason for me to get another army.

So, who wants to buy $700 of Imperial Guard + Bits?

Mr Mystery
05-15-2014, 08:22 AM
I'll give you half a donkey* for them?

*At some undisclosed future point.

Psychosplodge
05-15-2014, 08:24 AM
I offer a collection of electronic components and bolts.

Dave Mcturk
05-19-2014, 09:42 AM
I think I'm going to get a TIE Defender :P

I can't keep up with the game anymore. TSO has informed me that I haven't seriously played since the 2013 BOLSCON, so there's little reason for me to get another army.

So, who wants to buy $700 of Imperial Guard + Bits?

there is a country on our planet that closely resembles most ig armies and its not south korea. get a real army!

TheKennanator
05-22-2014, 10:28 AM
there is a country on our planet that closely resembles most ig armies and its not south korea. get a real army!

If I enforce strict discipline they may paint themselves and find their own food, too...