PDA

View Full Version : Gotham

eldargal
05-06-2014, 09:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI

I am hesitantly excited.

AirHorse
05-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Indeed! Strangely, I am most excited about the fact that Gordon is the main character!

eldargal
05-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Yup, I've liked Gordon since BTAS so nice to see him get a show. Also Renee Montoya is in it so that is a plus.

Deadlift
05-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Except Gordon's not actually from Gotham and doesn't go there until after Bruce becomes Batman :)

eldargal
05-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Meh, origins are flexible. Also not the first time it has been changed, the Arkham games have Gordon comforting Bruce after his parents deaths as well.

energongoodie
05-06-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm all in!

Brakkart
05-06-2014, 10:58 AM
It does look good and yet it has been picked up to show on... Fox... the network where genre shows die early and often. If this makes it to a full season (let alone multiple seasons) it'll be a minor miracle frankly. also as good as it looks I'd say the age of some of the characters is a bit off as Catwoman looks to be older than Bruce and Riddler certainly is here. They've got Pamela Isley's and Oswald Cobblepot's ages about right though.

As much as I hope this does well, I still don't understand why they couldn't have set it years later and included Batman now and then, much like the very good comic series GCPD that inspired this show did. Unlike Marvel who only have some of their characters, WB/DC own all the tv/movie rights to all of theirs and so they could have a TV shared universe, with a Gotham that is concurrent timeline wise with Arrow and the forthcoming Flash series. Such a series could centre on Gordon and the GCPD of course, but also feature not just Batman, but the other Gotham vigilantes and such like Batgirl, Robin, Batwoman, heck even Spoiler could have turned up. However good this Gotham show might turn out to be, it will still be a missed opportunity to have been a part of something greater I think.

eldargal
05-06-2014, 11:02 AM
'Missed opportunity' is really DCs slogan these days.:rolleyes:

Catwomans age seems about right I think, the actor who plays Bruce Wayne is 13 so I'm assuming he will be around that age as well and Catwoman looks to be similar which suits her origin. Riddler looks to be 10-15 years older which is a bit odd, I mean he would be nearing 50 when Batman is 35...

Edit: It is getting a full first season though, apparently the contract with Fox had a condition that if they picked it up it had to run at least a full season or they had to pay a hefty fee or something...

Brakkart
05-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Yeah Riddler is younger or the same age as Bruce in all the comics, not as you say 10-15 years older. Looking at it again yeah I think you're right about Selina, just her outfit etc makes her look older.

And yeah for everything DC do right these days they seem to do two things wrong *sigh*

Edit: Ohhh nice clause in the contract there, I guess Fox's rep for canceling genre projects has come back to bite them. Well done WB for including that clause!

eldargal
05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Yep:

It’s not particularly surprising that Gotham has been picked up for a full first season of “at least” thirteen episodes. When Fox acquired it September, it was with the understanding that it would be with a series commitment. That is: Fox Television would give the show at least one season, or have to pay Warner Bros. a hefty fine.
One sensible thing WB have done (http://www.themarysue.com/fox-extended-gotham-trailer/).:)

Wildeybeast
05-06-2014, 11:30 AM
It does look good and yet it has been picked up to show on... Fox... the network where genre shows die early and often. If this makes it to a full season (let alone multiple seasons) it'll be a minor miracle frankly. also as good as it looks I'd say the age of some of the characters is a bit off as Catwoman looks to be older than Bruce and Riddler certainly is here. They've got Pamela Isley's and Oswald Cobblepot's ages about right though.

As much as I hope this does well, I still don't understand why they couldn't have set it years later and included Batman now and then, much like the very good comic series GCPD that inspired this show did. Unlike Marvel who only have some of their characters, WB/DC own all the tv/movie rights to all of theirs and so they could have a TV shared universe, with a Gotham that is concurrent timeline wise with Arrow and the forthcoming Flash series. Such a series could centre on Gordon and the GCPD of course, but also feature not just Batman, but the other Gotham vigilantes and such like Batgirl, Robin, Batwoman, heck even Spoiler could have turned up. However good this Gotham show might turn out to be, it will still be a missed opportunity to have been a part of something greater I think.

DC don't seem want to set these shows in the same universes for some reason. Look how Arrow clearly isn't in the same world as Smallville. I can only assume they want the freedom to take artistic licence within the shows, without worrying about continuity with other TV shows.

Brakkart
05-06-2014, 12:09 PM
DC don't seem want to set these shows in the same universes for some reason. Look how Arrow clearly isn't in the same world as Smallville. I can only assume they want the freedom to take artistic licence within the shows, without worrying about continuity with other TV shows.

Mmmm true and I can see why they might want to do things that way as disappointing as that decision is from a lifelong DC fan's point of view, but I still think Gotham would have been better set years later. Setting it when they have just rules out so much of what makes Gotham City such a great location for stories. They are tying one hand behind their back right from the start. I might well be proven wrong (and I hope I am) and I'll certainly watch it, but right now it just screams out that it could be so much more.

Mr Mystery
05-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I sense this has no middle ground.

It's either going to be inexplicably awesome, or a massive steaming pile of elephant wank.

And I really hope it's the former.

Wildeybeast
05-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Arrow was neither. Just sayin'.

Mr Mystery
05-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Yeah but Arrow isn't as established a setting.

Gotham is a well known city, thanks to the various Batman films.

There's a real risk, as with all origins stuff, that it just comes across as contrived, rather than clever.

Wildeybeast
05-06-2014, 01:49 PM
True enough. Though Gotham would just be any other gothic noir city were it not for the folk inhabiting it.

Wolfshade
05-07-2014, 02:13 AM
Doesn't look much like Gotham to me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham,_Nottinghamshire)

eldargal
05-07-2014, 08:20 AM
I couldn't get into Arrow. A lot of people like it though.

Wolfshade
05-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Did you try walking, it is simple enough (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Arrow,_Worcestershire)

Kaptain Badrukk
05-07-2014, 07:45 PM
I couldn't get into Arrow. A lot of people like it though.

It's got some good points, and some bad one. It's picking up towards the end of season 2, but that's because of Deathstroke.

Brakkart
05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
First photo of the main cast together:

From left to right we have: Oswald Cobblepot, "Fish" Mooney, Edward Nygma, Pamela Lillian Isley, Harvey Bullock, James "Jim" Gordon, Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth with Selina Kyle lurking above Bruce and Alfred.

Fish Mooney is Cobblepot's boss and a crime boss/nightclub owner apparently. Given the time frame this series is set in, the big crime boss in Gotham should be Carmine "The Roman" Falcone who had ruled Gotham for years until Batman finally broke his hold over the city and sent him packing.

EDIT: Hmm weird, IMDB has Ivy's name listed as Ivy Pepper (along with both her parents having that surname too). Not sure why they have changed her name from Pamela Isley. Not happy with that, but I do like that the GCPD of the comics at least are nicely represented, with not only Gordon and Bullock, but Renee Montoya, Crispus Allen and Sarah Essen (the future 2nd Mrs. Gordon) listed in the cast on IMDB.

eldargal
05-10-2014, 03:07 AM
The actress that plays Ickle Catwoman is just perfect though. One might even say purrfect.:rolleyes: Yeah kind of miffed about Poison Ivy's name being changed.