PDA

View Full Version : Want a specific ship? Check how big it would be here

eldargal
05-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Get a lot of people understandably suggesting specific ships they would like to seein X-Wing but most of them won't fit sadly so I thought I would make a single thread so people can check how big the ship they like would actually be if made in scale to teh game:

2.7cm model length per in universe meter. Can check ship measurements on Wookieepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)

Actually if they keep the scale right a Corellian Corvette would be 55cm long:

1/270 scale:

Y-wing: 16m
Corvette: 150m
Nebulon B: 300m
Mon Cal Cruiser: 1200m
Imp Class I SD: 1600m

Y-wing: 5.9cm
Corvette: 55cm
Nebulon B: 1.1m
Mon Cal Cruiser: 4.4m
Imp Class I SD: 5.9m

Probably a bit long for FFG to produce at an affordable price, but who knows.
The new corvette they released seems to be around 30cm long which is nearly half the 'proper' 1/270 scale which may or may not be their general huge ship scale in future.

Batoche1864
05-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Yeah I think they'll be using a sliding scale for the larger ships because even with an adjustment to 1/540 scale you'd wind up with an Imp Stardestroyer being over 2m long.

I expect that as they scale up the larger ships they will try to get a reasonable change in 'bulk' to the ship in relation to the smaller ships and then not care about the actual scaling.

I think from the shots I've seen of the two huge ships so far they've made some reasonable compromises in this department and expect if they ever get to an Imp. Stardestroyer expect it to be 2-2 1/2 x the size of a Tantive IV which would put it into the 60-80 cm range and likely price out at around $200.

It would be massive on the 3' x 3' play area currently used as a standard and would also be sufficiently massive to give you that overwhelming feeling compared to the other ships in the X-Wing line without having to be more than three times the size of your 6' x 4' gaming table.

Strictly scaling up a SD to 1/270 you get a ship over 18' long and probably 2' high and 6' wide at the stern. I don't think I could lift even a hollow chunk of resin/plastic that big. ;-)

Patrick Boyle
05-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Given the name of the game is 'X-Wing Miniatures' and not 'Star Wars Space Combat' I feel like going any larger sort of goes against the spirit of the game. Compromising on size to fit the Corvette already seems a bit off, though it's definitely a cool model.

Joe Fixit
05-05-2014, 12:54 AM
The disparity of scale has been off since the release of the YT1300, Lambda Shuttle and Firespray. These 3 ships are certainly not to scale with the rest of the range. The new bigger ships just emphasise the point that the scale differences of the ships represents their capabilities in gameplay.
This doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the game at all and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on both of the newer models and trying the new "epic" missions as they call it.

Nabterayl
05-07-2014, 05:58 PM
The Large ships are still in 1/270 scale, according to Fantasy Flight.

eldargal
05-08-2014, 02:37 AM
Yeah the only ships out of scale are the Huge ones.

Wolfshade
05-08-2014, 02:47 AM
So when can I use a star forge...

White Tiger88
05-08-2014, 03:19 AM
I want a Super Star Destroyer & Assault Gunboat......

Mr Mystery
05-08-2014, 05:16 AM
Torpedo Sphere for me.

Even if they were just poor mans Death Star.