PDA

View Full Version : Imperial big ship candidates...?

LordGrise
05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Well met, all! ::quick bow to the assembled from the 40K boards::

So I'm in one of the local game stores - Dragon's Lair, here in San Antonio - and I watch the San Antonio chapter of the X-wing minis game do their thing. Yeah, I'm busted... esp since I could literally buy the entire game, big ships included, for about half the price of a 40K army. Before buying the books. I'm in.

So my stuff is on order, (Rebel to start) and I got to thinking - what the blazes will FF use for the Imperial counterparts to the Corellian Corvette and the Rebel Transport? Did a little research, and apparent front runners are the Customs Cutter and the Vigil-class corvette... but I am a total newb at this, so I thought I would pop on here and see if I could get some rampant speculation going. That way I got more stuff to research...

And as an aside, and to further demonstrate my total newbishness, I get the impression that I want to get some of the Imperial ships as well down the line, for the cards?

Barbot is right over there, and I'm buying, so have at, gentles all. Oh yeah, the soy crispies here aren't half bad, either. The 'bot says please have your ID handy for when you order.

Bigred
05-02-2014, 12:34 AM
I'd say it depends on whether FFG wants to pick direct counterparts to the Rebel transport and Corvette, or they will increase the scale a bit and scale up slightly to include the small-medium capitol ships.

I'd say look for things from:

Vigil-class Corvette (a decent CR-75 equivalent) on the small end
Nebulon B Frigate (if they want to move up the scale tree) on the bigger end

There are tons of Imperial transports listed here:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Transport

LordGrise
05-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Ooooh, links galore... thanks, Big Red!

bfmusashi
05-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I vote Carrack Cruisers! They'd need some sprucing up to look less lame, but they're the right size and do some interesting things. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carrack-class_light_cruiser

kellyj
05-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Go strait to a Star Destroyer. 4 segments, each 12" long, that link together and fill an entire board edge representing the side hull of an ISD.
That, or FFG is prepping for a subset of the game for big ships (like they did with the star trek variation) where fighters are countered in squadron size and ISDs roam free.
This could also lead to a special rules set that allow the Start Trek and Star Wars ships to play together.
Every fanboys wet dream.

flaresnake
05-03-2014, 05:21 PM
lancer-class as a pure anti-fighter ship and Star Galleon-class as a support ship

flaresnake
05-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Lancer and Star Galleon classes

eldargal
05-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Just woke up and sleepy so maths will be bad but the corvette is undersized for its size and a imperial class I/II star destroyer would be 10 & 3/4 times longer than a proper scaled one. 4 12" segments won't cut it.

Star galleons would be two as long and much fatter. Lancer would be 66% longer than corvette but similarish width so doable maybe.

Found my own post on scale from ages ago:

Actually if they keep the scale right a Corellian Corvette would be 55cm long:

1/270 scale:

Y-wing: 16m
Corvette: 150m
Nebulon B: 300m
Mon Cal Cruiser: 1200m
Imp Class I SD: 1600m

Y-wing: 5.9cm
Corvette: 55cm
Nebulon B: 1.1m
Mon Cal Cruiser: 4.4m
Imp Class I SD: 5.9m

Probably a bit long for FFG to produce at an affordable price, but who knows.
So for ISD in correct scale would b 4 1.5m segments.

Kernbanks
05-04-2014, 07:56 AM
The discussions of scale with the large ships is a long and old one. I personally would have preferred a 22 inch Corvette (55cm) for scale and truly cinematic effect of a large slow ship moving across the board with fighters flying along side and attacking the flanks.