PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the exlcusive SM captain?

Force21
04-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Greetings all.

I made a order on GW's website (mostly books) & got the fancy Space Marine Captain...which imo is pretty nice I guess for GW giving a free mini...

anyway I just about done putting him together...it donned on me...I don't have a Space Marine army.

So I am not sure what to do with him, I have thought about starting Marines but I don't have the time or cash to start a 4th army...so if at all I may use him a HQ for Allies, plus I run a small Deathwatch group so I could use him with that.

The question is what Chapter I should make him...I thought about Deathwatch...maybe Ultramarines...

I like the idea for Deathwatch but hid left shoulder pad is not very convertable(?) so any suggestions would be helpful.

...don't know if this should be in the painting forum...

phreakachu
04-30-2014, 08:20 PM
send him to me... i'll be your friend
:D

ElectricPaladin
04-30-2014, 08:21 PM
What to do with the exlcusive SM captain?

Eat it.

Just imagine that smooth plastic sliding down your gullet, sitting in your belly slowly dissolving away. Imagine it. Doesn't it make you salivate. Do it. Eat the mini. Eat it. You know you want to.

Ahem.

I'm sorry. I got distracted there for a second.

Anyway, I'd say paint him up as the start of a small Exorcists force. Exorcists are unknown founding, so you can use any Chapter Tactics you like (probably Ultramarines, because although they probably aren't descended from the Ultramarines, they do fight with versatility and tactical acumen). But, they're probably descended from the Grey Knights, and they do focus on daemon-slaying, so you have a perfect excuse to ally them in with your Grey Knights.

Captain Bubonicus
04-30-2014, 09:22 PM
Eat it.

Just imagine that smooth plastic sliding down your gullet, sitting in your belly slowly dissolving away. Imagine it. Doesn't it make you salivate. Do it. Eat the mini. Eat it. You know you want to.

Hmmm...that's the opposite route from what I was gonna suggest.

ChacoStylez
04-30-2014, 10:36 PM
You could always paint it up as a statue, objective marker, City of Death stratagem, plenty of uses if you don't have an army for him to go to.

deinol
05-01-2014, 12:57 AM
I was going to suggest using as a mangled corpse underneath your favorite HQ/Monstrous Creature/Wraith Knight/Stompa/Greater Daemon/etc.

Lots of uses!

DETHMOKIL
05-01-2014, 01:04 AM
I took the sword from mine and made it into a objective marker, on a stone cult altar. The thing screams cheesy DnD book art, considering how old the original is, it makes sense.

Wolfshade
05-01-2014, 01:48 AM
send him to me... i'll be your friend
:D

Damn, beat me to it. I'll up the offer I wo'n't be your friend!

More seriously possibly 3 options

1. Leave it sealed in its clam shell and sell it on ebay in a few years time
2. Paint it up as a display peice
3. Convert it either as something else, or into "basing" for your other armies.

Psychosplodge
05-01-2014, 02:15 AM
spend another £60 and get another? Then pit them against each other in a fight to the death!

Wolfshade
05-01-2014, 02:23 AM
spend another £60 and get another? Then pit them against each other in a fight to the death!

To captains enter, only one my exit! Thunderdome!

Force21
05-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Thanks for your feedback so far.

You could always paint it up as a statue, objective marker, City of Death stratagem, plenty of uses if you don't have an army for him to go to.

Thats a cool idea.

I only have a few objective markers mostly Imperial Guard themed.

I took the sword from mine and made it into a objective marker, on a stone cult altar. The thing screams cheesy DnD book art, considering how old the original is, it makes sense.

Hmm...I like this idea too.

Will have to Green Stuff the little pocket that the bit fits into, but no biggie since am not a big fan of his sword, but if I try to make him a Deathwatch captain it kinda works...the Deathwatch loves their skulls...even in a world were skulls are on books, gas cans & canteens. :D

Psychosplodge
05-01-2014, 02:33 AM
Two captains enter, only one my exit! Thunderdome!

Exactly!

Force you could always get an I off the FW brass inquisition sheet.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-01-2014, 02:49 AM
Mine is now my Chapter Master. :)

Pssyche
05-01-2014, 02:55 AM
Take the model outside.
Place it safely on a brick away from any flammable material and in good lighting.
Set up a video camera with a crystal clear view of the model.
Light a blowtorch and burn the model beyond all recognition, making sure the camera captures every last detail.
Post the video on YouTube and watch the hate roll in...

Mr Mystery
05-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Nail it to a frisbee and throw it away?

Stick it up an opponents poop chute?

Use it as a painting project

Flog it off now

Hold onto it, and flog it off at some future point when hopefully it's accumulated a little extra value?

Worship it as a plastic deity?

This Dave
05-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Will have to Green Stuff the little pocket that the bit fits into, but no biggie since am not a big fan of his sword, but if I try to make him a Deathwatch captain it kinda works...the Deathwatch loves their skulls...even in a world were skulls are on books, gas cans & canteens. :D

Mine is going to join my Deathwatch army. Converting the shoulder pad takes a little effort but it's actually not that difficult. First you have to get one of the Deathwatch shoulder pads from the SM Command Squad sets. Most Marine players will have one lying around as not many people use them or even know what they are. Carefully clip the crest off the top and attach it to the left shoulder pad. Then clip the rest of the old pad away from the Deathwatch logo. Use a file or a fine saw to cut the back of the pad away from the logo bit to make it thinner. Then attach it to the pad, filling any gaps you might have though if you make it thin enough you can curve it against the pad easy enough. You won't have the engraving the metal Deathwatch pads have but it looks pretty good.

Dave Mcturk
05-01-2014, 08:42 AM
To captains enter, only one my exit! Thunderdome!

wot have you been drinking wolfy ?

Wolfshade
05-01-2014, 08:51 AM
wot have you been drinking wolfy ?

If you have to ask you are unprepared to know....