PDA

View Full Version : GW Spray Gun

Lord Inquisitor
01-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm thinking about trying out the GW spray gun. I'd like some advice on how to use it and what people who have used it thought of it.

Aldramelech
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Goodbye

j-orge-287
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm gonna get a spraygun for my nids army-makes big hordes quick

plasticaddict
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I love mine. It makes short work base coating vehicles and terrain. With a little practice you can also use it to apply camo to vehicles. I did do away with the need for the canned air however, I found an inexpensive ($35.00) air compressor at Harbor Freight Tools (a large discount/cheap tool retailer) works great.

therealjohnny5
01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
yeah for me when it works it's great, but i'll spend half a can of propellent then it's useless bc there's not enough pressure. and that propellent is mad expensive. so if you can find another alternative. go for it. As for quality, the coat it lays down is nice. great for basing and i've heard washing but haven't tried the later yet. By it self it can be a headache with the propellent cans. But when it works it speeds things up wonderfully.

Valdore
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM
I would definitely recommend looking at compressors if you're going to get one, I'm still on the canned air, and it's useless! Though that may just be how long it takes me to get the output how I want it.

Other than that, great for tanks, not tried on infantry yet, great for camo as well, and for some nice effects if you use less paint so you don't get a full cover. Similar to drybrushing, in a very loose sense! But that takes some practice and some setting up.

TheBitzBarn
01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Spend a Little Money and Get a Real Airbrush they are more effective and NOT that much More

gorepants
01-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Spend a Little Money and Get a Real Airbrush they are more effective and NOT that much More

I gotta agree with this one - a real airbrush and a compressor (also get a regulator and vapour trap, they help). You'll find it much more usable and versatile. Definitely worth the extra money. And when you get mad skillz you can paint flaming skulls on everything. Or not.

theHman
01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I can tell you from my own experience.

If you do decide to get GW's spraygun, or an actual airbrush, then get yourself a compressor at the same time.

I found it to be a near complete waste of my time and energy trying to spray more than a squad at a time using air canisters. And I was using 3 large ones at a time.

Drove me nuts as you only get a short window to spray with with each canister.

Then I scored an air compressor online and life was awesome.

I would/will never go back to trying to use compressed air cans for the spraygun. Just too frustrating and annoying.

BTW - I'm no professional airbrush painter, but I'm very happy with my GW spraygun.

I only really use it to basecoat armies and not for fine detail work.

fade_74
01-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I have to agree with the guys above and say buy a real airbrush and compressor. TCP global is a decent internet seller. Get one that has .50 mm nozzle to start with. Since you are just starting, it will be great for tanks and camo and all that jazz. It will also be much more forgiving when it comes to paint. Use good paint though....you can have a 500 dollar airbrush and if you use cheap paint....it will clog. GW, Reaper, and Vallejo all spray well. When you get better and want a bit more precision...just order up a smaller nozzle and needle for your brush.

gorepants
01-08-2010, 12:06 AM
I have to agree with the guys above and say buy a real airbrush and compressor. TCP global is a decent internet seller. Get one that has .50 mm nozzle to start with. Since you are just starting, it will be great for tanks and camo and all that jazz. It will also be much more forgiving when it comes to paint. Use good paint though....you can have a 500 dollar airbrush and if you use cheap paint....it will clog. GW, Reaper, and Vallejo all spray well. When you get better and want a bit more precision...just order up a smaller nozzle and needle for your brush.

Whatever you get, the thinner is important too, especially you're no using GW, Reaper, or Vallejo. Proper alcohol thinner will be better for you finish (especially if you use tamiya or gunze). And get some serious paint stripper. This is great if you are painting too long and it starts to clog, or you haven't run enough cleaner though when you finish. I use some brutal auto stuff that will destroy anything.

Alvin K
01-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Get an air brush. Saves you much more money in the long run. Trust me. I've heard feedbacks about the GW spraygun and it's not very nice.

A compressor doesn't need to be that expensive. You can probably find one for $ 100 and the air brush for about $ 40. Go check it out online.

Reason to get an airbrush with the compressor is because:
1. You save more money in the long run by not spending on buying the propellants. You're paying for air actually if you buy the canister.
2. It's easier to control with the airbrush. That I'm quite sure as I've seen many beautiful works formed from it and I'm still in the process of learning to use mine myself.
3. Only takes a short while to learn how to use the air brush. Seriously, it's very easy.
4. Saves you more time as you don't have to switch between canisters and the likes. The air compressor will do everything for you.

If you have any questions about the airbrush, feel free to ask me. I've learnt it very quickly from my friend. It's really that easy.

fade_74
01-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Whatever you get, the thinner is important too, especially you're no using GW, Reaper, or Vallejo. Proper alcohol thinner will be better for you finish (especially if you use tamiya or gunze). And get some serious paint stripper. This is great if you are painting too long and it starts to clog, or you haven't run enough cleaner though when you finish. I use some brutal auto stuff that will destroy anything.

Absolutely! Learning how to thin your paints to the right consistency is a must. Some people say alcohol isn't good, but thats what I use too.

Lord Inquisitor
01-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks I'm planning to try and paint my paints with it and I will look into a diffrent brush and definetly a compressor.

david5th
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
I have a GW spray gun and the propellent is the major problem. I went online and found a small compressor + 2 airbrush kit for £80.00 including next day a 9:00 am delivery.

The superb thing is all the fittings work with the GW gun.

Culial
01-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a GW spray gun and the propellent is the major problem. I went online and found a small compressor + 2 airbrush kit for £80.00 including next day a 9:00 am delivery.

The superb thing is all the fittings work with the GW gun.
Finally! Someone in the UK!
You just have to tell me what brand/where you got it!

I've got lots of grey (plastic grey, not my custom-mixed Red Scorpions grey, so the bad kinda grey :p) models staring back at me, and I'm contemplating buying a Realm of Battle board the end of this quarter - spray gun/airbrush is a must for me at this point, but I have no idea where to start even!

@ Lord Inquisitor
I have the GW Hand Flamer :D I love it!
But I really resent paying £££ for cans of air, and it scares the Hell out of me every time I use it because the only way I've found to maintain pressure is to use several cans and keep their temperature constant by dipping them in a bowl of warm water - it works, but I'm just waiting for one to explode! :(

As for it's use, when you get good pressure from the cans, it's really easy, just like using a can of primer.
Needs more passes than a spray can due to thinness of paint, but that just makes it more forgiving to use & allows you more control than a can.
I followed the GW measures with GW paint & I've had no problems (apart from those listed above with the air supply).

Oh, and it looks COOL!
(This comming from a 27-year-old, but hey, we play with toy soldiers, pretend Flamer Throwers are a small leap :p)

david5th
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Finally! Someone in the UK!
You just have to tell me what brand/where you got it!

I've got lots of grey (plastic grey, not my custom-mixed Red Scorpions grey, so the bad kinda grey :p) models staring back at me, and I'm contemplating buying a Realm of Battle board the end of this quarter - spray gun/airbrush is a must for me at this point, but I have no idea where to start even!

@ Lord Inquisitor
I have the GW Hand Flamer :D I love it!
But I really resent paying £££ for cans of air, and it scares the Hell out of me every time I use it because the only way I've found to maintain pressure is to use several cans and keep their temperature constant by dipping them in a bowl of warm water - it works, but I'm just waiting for one to explode! :(

As for it's use, when you get good pressure from the cans, it's really easy, just like using a can of primer.
Needs more passes than a spray can due to thinness of paint, but that just makes it more forgiving to use & allows you more control than a can.
I followed the GW measures with GW paint & I've had no problems (apart from those listed above with the air supply).

Oh, and it looks COOL!
(This comming from a 27-year-old, but hey, we play with toy soldiers, pretend Flamer Throwers are a small leap :p)
Its a Airbrush Compressor AS18 - 2.

Sadly i cannot find the original website where i i purchased it from. It was six months ago and it was the first sponsored link google brought up.

Type airbrush compressor as18-2 with airbrush into google and there quite a few sites with different deals.

Sorry i could not be more help.

tommox
01-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I agree the thinner is important to get the proper flow. I use the spray gun if i'm doing tanks but if i'm doing infantry i use my airbrush so the detail doesn't get clogged up. Also although it says just add water on the GW spray gun, just don't.

david5th
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for paint thinners to use with games workshop paints.

Lord Inquisitor
01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
So I'm going to get an airbrush with compressor. What PSI should one have? Are there any good brands to look for? I don't want to put to much money into one but I'm willing to go in a little, like $50 would be reasonable and $100 may not work. Any advice on buying an airbrush would be appreciated, I want to use this to paint my IG tanks and possibly if I get good enough people too or at least parts.