PDA

View Full Version : What Color is Volkite?

ElectricPaladin
04-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Actually, the title of this thread should be "what color should my volkite be?"

I'm trying to decide how to paint up the various glowing power coils on my glaive superheavy.

For context, my Knights of Blood army is red and silver with matte black and gunmetal on the mechanical bits, and some gold and white on the various honor badges, emblems, wing symbols, chalices, and other Blood Angels-y stuff. So far in my army, plasma coils are blue and power weapons are green. What should volkite be? I feel like it has to have a unique color.

Charon
04-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Whenever I feel I have to add a "new" glow effect, I consult the allmighty lightsabers :D

Like these here http://www.ultrasabers.com/ (scroll down a bit)

I guess the one named "fire orange" could suit your needs

ElectricPaladin
04-26-2014, 01:43 PM
That's a great website. Thanks!

At the moment, I'm inclined towards Fire Orange - as long as I could achieve an orange tone that's clearly distinct from the Blood Angels bright red of my army - or Violet Amethyst, myself...

Mr.Pickelz
04-26-2014, 03:29 PM
I'd vote that Volkite should be weird and out of place. The tech doesn't fit with most legions and the path the Imperium is on, you could use lots of contrasting colors and stuff that doesn't quite fit to show the exotic-ness of Volkite.

Mr Mystery
04-26-2014, 03:44 PM
I was going to say Orange as well.

Though an electric purple......

YorkNecromancer
04-26-2014, 03:54 PM
I tend to use colour to differentiate effect, so my opponent can tell what the weapons are on the tabletop quickly. I tend to use the following 'colour wysiwyg':

Blue = power weapon or plasma coil
Green = force weapon
Purple = poison weapon

For Volkite, I was inclined to use red, because it's not a colour I presently use, and it would look stunning. However, I was using it on my AdMech, and I ended up using green, because I figured red for robes, brass for armour, green for lenses/mechanical bits.

But I kinda wanted to do the orange, because that would look cool. :)

DETHMOKIL
04-26-2014, 07:58 PM
I imagine Volkite literally being a raygun shooting face melting radiation. So a really light green / bright white. Or clear, radiation is see-thru.

The books say Volkite is closer to a microwave heat gun that causes fission or something inside peoples faces causing them to melt, so a flame ombre would look cool.

Marshal_Loss
04-26-2014, 09:18 PM
On the cover of Tallarn: Executioner, the Iron Warrior firing a volkite weapon is firing a red laser weapon.

Houghten
04-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Pinkish orange, like a hot toaster.

Brakkart
04-27-2014, 04:21 AM
On the cover of Tallarn: Executioner, the Iron Warrior firing a volkite weapon is firing a red laser weapon.

Yup can see it here, very cool looking effect too:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/6/6c/Tallarn-art.jpg