PDA

View Full Version : re: Schaeffer's Last Chancers' and Gaunt's Ghosts' Uniforms

Pssyche
04-23-2014, 02:30 PM
A quick question for accuracy's sake, as I haven't read their books.

With regards to Schaeffer's Last Chancers and Gaunt's Ghosts, do they have specific uniform colours or are they operation dependent?
So, Desert Camo for Desert operations, Jungle Camo for Jungle operations, etc.

I would certainly expect Gaunt's Ghosts to be operation dependent due to their use of Cameleoline, which would mimic it's surroundings.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Paulo187
04-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Gaunt's Ghosts are described as having black fatigues with greenish cameleoline cloaks.
Schaeffer's Last Chancers actually seem to be able to wear whatever they want, which is odd for a Penal Legion.

This Dave
04-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Gaunt's Ghosts are described as having black fatigues with greenish cameleoline cloaks.
Schaeffer's Last Chancers actually seem to be able to wear whatever they want, which is odd for a Penal Legion.

As long as they accept the mission I don't think Schaeffer cares. And Probably because they're not expected to survive the mission. :)

Psychosplodge
04-24-2014, 01:50 AM
I assumed the last chancers wear what they arrive in till issued something otherwise...

The tanith are generally described as wearing dark or black fatigues iirc, but are painted grey in the old WD articles/on the webstore. I think the cloak can essentially be depicted any colour

Wolfshade
04-24-2014, 02:46 AM
But don't forget you also now have the Bellaphones (sp?) and the Verghast armour with them

Charon
04-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Which were absorbed into the regiment and got the standard issue camo cloaks, straight silver and standard issue armor. They just kept Insignias to remember their past - Gaunt himself wears all 3 insignias

Katharon
04-24-2014, 02:56 AM
But don't forget you also now have the Bellaphones (sp?) and the Verghast armour with them

The gear that the Ghosts originally used is maintained and adopted by those elements of foreign regiments that are amalgamated with the Tanith First. So there wouldn't be any difference or variation other than specific character anomalies - such as the few original Ghosts all having "straight silver," which is a specially made Tanith war-knife.

Wolfshade
04-24-2014, 02:59 AM
And the Narlwood stocks on the lasguns.

I also didn't think that the newer elements maintained the cloaks, though I do admit it is been far too long since I have read a Ghost book. Dammit BL brink out the next Omnibus.

Charon
04-24-2014, 03:22 AM
No, they all get the cloaks.
But they dont get the narlwood stocks as they cant be replaced. Even the "original" Tanith has to use other stocks when their first issued weapon (which was narlwood) got lost/destroyed/...

Wolfshade
04-24-2014, 03:26 AM
Yup, do the miners use there pick as their cap badge?

Charon
04-24-2014, 03:45 AM
Yep... Vervunhivers use a pickaxe as pin.
But I cant remember the Belladon one...

Psychosplodge
04-24-2014, 03:51 AM
Not an axrake? which I imagine more like a mattock than a pick?

Wolfshade
04-24-2014, 03:52 AM
That's right it was an axe-rake not a pick axe

Charon
04-24-2014, 04:07 AM
Sorry... language issue.
Some tings are sloppy translated.

Psychosplodge
04-24-2014, 04:10 AM
Oh, fair enough. Your English is good enough that I never considered that.

Wolfshade
04-24-2014, 04:11 AM
Yup, yup ^^

Charon
04-24-2014, 04:18 AM
In the german books its translated as "Grubenaxt" which is basically a small handaxe.

the one on the left...

In the books its meant as a symbol for the miners and industry which is not quite the impression you get when you look at the tiny hand axe. Thus I guesed it has to be more like a pickaxe

Psychosplodge
04-24-2014, 04:23 AM
See flawless logic.
It's a case of the made up pseudoenglish word not translating...

Charon
04-24-2014, 04:33 AM
Happens a lot...

Eldar Fire Prism is translated as "Illum Zar" (has no meaning, is an eldar word)
Witchblade is translated as "Hagun Zar" (also no meaning, eldar word)
Singing Spear is translated as Runespear
Swooping hawks are Warhawks
Shining Spears are Spears of Khaine
Nightspinner is Shadow Spider
Dire Avengers are Hunters of Ashuryan
Brightlance is Laserlance
Dark Reapers are Black Khaindar

Thats why its sometimes a little bit difficult to keep up with 40k units/terms/weapons as the translations most of the time have nothing in comon with the original word.

Wolfshade
04-24-2014, 04:33 AM
I wonder how the "High Gothic" translates...

Charon
04-24-2014, 04:37 AM
I wonder how the "High Gothic" translates...
The word is the same Hochgothisch (= high gothic), and the "language" itself is "latinesque" it is no real latin but borrows many words.

Psychosplodge
04-24-2014, 04:40 AM
Some of those sound better to be honest.

Wolfshade
04-24-2014, 04:45 AM
Sorry what I meant, is that there are losts of lantin-esque (high gothic words) or words made up, so I was wondering if you had the latin based or a hihg-german version or some such

Charon
04-24-2014, 04:56 AM
The latin based version.
Hard to tell exactly when I cant compare the specific words, but in general they use the same words (nowadays).
Sometimes they dont even bother translating at all (space marines), sometimes they get really creative to conserve the meaning ("mon-keigh" resembles monkey its translated "chem-pan-sey" which resembles Schimpanse = chimp) and sometimes they just do some weird word by word translations which never work out.

Some of those sound better to be honest.

While this is somewhat true (but thats up to personal taste) its sometimes a little bit annoying.

I regularly take one or two units of hagashin. The usual response to this is: "wtf is a hagashin?"
You know the standard Dark Eldar melee girls/boys... wyches.