PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves as allies

BananaDynasty
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
I've been wanting to add allies to my necrons for a while and a final decision came to space wolves. My corn list is

Overlord
Harbinger of the storm x3

Warriors x5 (x3)
Night scythe (x3)

Annihilation barge x3

This is 930 points and I'm aiming for a 1500 points. I was thinking about putting everything in pods but since I don't have the codex yet I'm not sure on what to take to fill the gaps. One idea I had was long fangs in a drop pod with either four heavy flamers (if they can take them) or four multi meltas and a rune priest. Any common configurations for space puppy allies I should know about that may help?

jd2x.pacman
04-22-2014, 04:33 PM
My first army was space wolves, and they are now a solid ally to my Eldar. my detachment costs a total of 460 pts and consists of-
Rune Priest with force axe and chooser of the slain. 110
9 Grey Hunters with a melta and stock drop pod. 175
6 Long Fangs with 5 missile launchers and a rhino. 175

The plan (should work for crons as well):
Rune Priest deploys with either group depending on the opponent. If in the drop pod he takes the powers from the SW book, primarily to knock out MCs. If with the Long Fangs he rolls on divination to provide prescience. The Chooser of the slain provides an 18" no infiltrate zone wherever you choose.
The Hunters drop in and pick a target- the melta gives them the versatility to take on armour or MCs.
The Long Fangs hunt whatever you want, the rhino provides mobile cover or a rapid redeployment option, or if night fighting comes up, it can go forward and searchlight a target for the Fangs to kill.

Its worked like a charm for my lists- hope this helps.

BananaDynasty
04-23-2014, 08:13 AM
A single Rhino seems extremely vulnerable especially in kill point games. How often do you find it being destroyed early in the game?

jd2x.pacman
04-23-2014, 02:46 PM
It is vulnerable, but is the least threatening thing on the board. If my opponent is wasting S6+ shots on a rhino then hes not shooting my Fangs (or scythes, etc), especially considering the better AP normally going with those shots.