PDA

View Full Version : Vostroyan Heavy Armoured 24th, The "Iron Bloods"

Keef
04-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Vostroyan Heavy Armoured 24th, The "Iron Bloods"
With the release of the new Guard codex, it's time for me to revisit the first army I got into when I relapsed into plastic crack addiction. At the time, it was a large mostly infantry based Cadian regiment, but the Vostroyans have caught my eye and so begins the task of repainting and converting everything so it fits the bill.

I've always been a bit of a hobby butterfly, and so this log will be an effort in keeping myself focused on working on only one project at a time. To help with motivation, me and two friends are all starting armies at the same time, with one playing Necrons the other playing Space Marines/Grey knights. Every month or two we will meet up and battle with a set number of points, our first battle is 500 points, so the starting list for me will be (very roughly):

Lord Commissar
Veteran Squad
Veteran Squad
Leman Russ
Leman Russ

From there, I plan to end the army looking something like this:

Company Command Squad w/Chimera
Lord Commissar
Commissar x3
Priest x3
Veteran Squad w/ Chimera
Veteran Squad w/ Chimera
Veteran Squad w/ Chimera
Large Infantry Platoon ~45 men
Leman Russ x3
Leman Russ x3
Deathstrike Missile Launcher
Basalisk
Baneblade or other superheavy

About 80 percent of the models I already have, but with me being a poor student and all, any other models will be bought as cheap as possible. Money will only be spent in GW whenever it is unavoidable, with trades and eBay supplying almost everything. If anyone has any Vostroyan models they wish to trade, please get in touch.

This will also be my first "official" army, as all of my other armies have been homebrew efforts. The 24th name comes from the 5th edition IG codex and it stuck. Actual Vostroyan models will be used as much as possible, but the large platoon will probably be Cadian based with pig iron head swaps, in another effort to keep costs as low as possible. To explain this, the platoon shall be Stalinvast Grenadiers, a unit said in WD 317 to use Vostroyan made equipment. The planet of Stalinvast was subjected to exterminatus, to it makes sense to me that any surviving troops from there would be folded into another guard regiment. Tenuous fluff linking? Yes, but still (pretty much) GW approved!

Thats enough of the words though, let's see some pictures. Here is Kazza, the only tank that I actually got round to painting from my old Cadian regiment, and affectionately named after my friend's mum. Her turret has some crude magnetizing done, so can be used in most battles with either the demolisher cannon, punisher cannon or plasma executioner, and a variety of sponsons. She still needs a lot of detailing, but you can get an idea of what my tanks will look like. She was my second try after I ballsed up a chimera, which is now a weird off white colour.

Levaticus
04-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I feel your pain of being a poor student as well.

Keef
04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks, on the plus side it's taught me how to milk the most amount of hobby possible. Most of my tanks will be second hand, and on eBay that means you'll need to put a fair amount of repairing in. I don't mind it though, fixing stuff is the fun bit. :)

DETHMOKIL
04-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Look like one of those tanks was hit with a Graviton gun :P

Keef
04-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Haha, slight mistake made there. =P

Here's a quick group shot of my Russes as they stand right now, all in various stages of completeness. I hope to get at least one more of them finished in the next few days.

Captofthe8th
04-23-2014, 12:15 AM
I think "Kazza" looks ace. She looks weathered and beat up like I imagine most guard regiments.

Now that tank in the back of the group shot must sure be thankful for being saved from that paint job it has now, haha. Once they are all done up it will be a great looking army.

Good luck!

Edited because auto-correct

Keef
04-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks Capt, the second one should be finished soon! :)

Quick update! Been really busy with uni work recently but there has been a little bit of progress with the army.

My first order from eBay has arrived, meaning that the Vostroyan project log now actually includes some Vostroyans! They are unpainted and need reprimed but expect to see some painted within the next week.

On the hobby side of business, meet Colonel Kreedov. I expect him to be joined by the Vostroyan flag bearer, one day in the far future.

Keef
04-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Progress! I have painted up my first few troops, and am still playing around with the colour scheme a little, so everyone varies slightly. Also, it helps mask the fact the same models will be used over and over again.

Comments and criticism welcome. Also, how the hell do I paint faces?

Keef
05-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Quick update!

The first squad has been finished!

Here's a detailed shot so you can get an idea of the standard of painting.

And here's some guys I've just come into possession of, complete with simple weapon swap to break up the limited model options from having a fully metal army.

As always, comments and criticism are welcome. What do you guys think? =)

Keef
05-15-2014, 04:52 PM
I've made some progress and got a better photography setup going, so let'd see some photos! I've now got two veteran squads finished, 2 Leman Russes, a Chimera, a Lord Commissar and a Priest. This takes me to 750 points roughly, already past what I needed for next month already and well on my way to having a fully finished army! :)

Comments and criticism welcome and encouraged, what do you guys think?

Wolfshade
05-16-2014, 02:06 AM
I like it, nice clean colours :)

Keef
05-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks Wolfshade! Progress is slow right now due to exams, but work should return to full speed in a few weeks time and I'll have more to show off. :)

Keef
11-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Well, I've been a bit lax in keeping this PLOG updated. Six months and nothing, I've very sorry. I have not been idle though (far from it), and I hope that these gifts will make things a little better between us.

More coming very soon! This time I will be updating regularly! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Some more cool stuff coming your way!

- - - Updated - - -

Keef
11-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Is that enough, are we cool again everyone? :P

Again ,sorry for the long time with no updates, it shall not happen again. Any comments or criticisms are very welcome! :D