PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a greenstuff equivalent that doesn't cost $10?

Commissar Lewis
01-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Title. Cause I'm gonna use one of the female torsos of the plastic Dark Eldar to make a Sgt. Harker equivalent - Corporal Vasquez.

My budget is strained currently, so I need a good modelling putty that is preferably about $5.

Shadow Queen
01-06-2010, 03:32 AM
I was going to say P3 but its $9.99

How about milliput?

Brass Scorpion
01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Buy your Green Stuff, Kneadatite, in the two part packaging. There will be no spoilage since the two parts come separately and the amount you get in the tube will last you for an extremely long time. As for cost, it's more than $10, but worth every penny. Cheaper alternatives can be useful, for example quick drying Loctite two-part epoxy, but if you need more than 5 minutes of sculpting time buy the Green Stuff. Here it is at The War Store (http://www.thewarstore.com/product18832.html). All the good alternative sculpting putties like, Apoxy Sculpt, cost a bit of money.

Lerra
01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
You can buy super sculpy for $1.99 at craft shops. It's great to work with, but the major downside is that it requires heat to set (about 160º F), which is enough to melt plastic. It's great for metal models, though, or if you can sculpt the part, bake it seperately, and then glue it to the model.

Commissar Lewis
01-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Hm, come to think of it, I believe my mom had some of that Sculpy stuff. I'll look into it, thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Onward, to make Vasquez as a counts-as for Harker!

RandomEntity
01-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Check ebay for kneadatite. you can get 36 inch strips of "green stuff" for about $13 plus shipping.. considering you get about 10 inches for $10 from GW it's worth it. I'm not sure how much comes in the war store's tubes, but it looks like it's more than what GW gives you by a bit.

Fantomex
01-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Personally, I've found THE best thing for sculpting is a mixture.
50% Greenstuff, equal amounts blue and yellow.
50% UltraFine White Milliput, equal amounts of both part.
An equal mix of these two comes out a very pale green, and is amazingly good for sculpting and converting.
It comes out as hard as greenstuff, if not harder.
Plus, the lightness of the mix means that it's much easier to see how your sculpt is progressing, better than I've found greenstuff on it's own, sometimes it really is too dark and fiddly..
Hope this helps!:D