PDA

View Full Version : Storm Trooper Orders, AM vs. MT?

Blood Shadow
04-17-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm looking for the best way to accommodate Stormtroopers into an Inquisitorial army, ignoring formations for a minute, we have two choices to take as Allies:

1) Elite Choice from AM codex.

Benefits can take Vendettas, Leman Russes and Psykers, get Chimeras as DT

Negatives, they aren't scoring, they don't get Valks as DT

2) Troop Choice from MT codex

Benefits, scoring units, Valks as DT

Negatives, no access to AM vehicles, not even Chimera

So the trade off is scoring units vs. AM tanks and flyers.

This is actually closer than you might think as I'd imagine taking them to boost Troop numbers, however I'd use them in quite a suicidal way so it might not matter so much.

So then, it could come down to the added value of the new guard codexes, their Orders.

AM come with Precision Shot, Split Fire, FRFSRF, 3d6 highest run, pinning and shoot & run.....and if magic can happen ignores cover

MT come with T/L, PE, Hot Shot Sniper and All weapons rending, plus two pretty lame CC helpful ones.

Now T/L and PE are good, but vs. FRFSRF I'll take the extra shots.

Split Fire is incredibly useful for the command squad if carrying 4 meltas or 4 flamers, possibly more so than rending. Rending AP3 sounds nice but vs. vehicles why bother at Str3, rending Plasma/ Melta is good but vs troops is pointless, I see rending flamers being the strongest application as multiple wounds bring more rending benefit to an AP5 weapon, but vs. flaming two squads simultaneously off a deep strike...this please.

For me the Str3 is the obvious weakest aspect of the hotshot, so Sniper (gets precision shot and rending) is a massive boon for me, though only one shot at 4+ to wound isn't quite as good as two shots 5+ to wound in my eyes....so I think FRFSRF is better again here, certainly vs. MEQ. If you factor in Prescience then effectively twin linking FRFSRF is very good at BS4.

So considering access to AM tanks etc I think, Allied AM wins out over MT, meaning MT is kind of redundant to me now. Whilst the MT Air Cav formation is interesting, it's just too many points to pull off in a balanced list.

For Inquisitorial Combos I was thinking of dropping a TA Ordo Malleus with psycannon into a DS unit, using Prescience for Twin linking....Inquisitor gets Move Through Cover so no dangerous terrain tests from the DS, which helps.

What I can't see in the codex is if the rule for platoons is they still get a common reserve roll, though I can't find a reference to it, it would significantly sway the argument.....

AirHorse
04-18-2014, 04:04 AM
This is a very tough conundrum, seems to me that there are some very nice things you can do with both setups.

You have definitely given me food for thought, will have to more closely look at both these options now we have them to hand!

This Dave
04-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Since they're so similar it comes down to one question. If you want them to be scoring units take them from MT. Otherwise use AM for all the options it gives.

As for the platoons being one reserve roll since all the units in a platoon count as one force organization slot I'd say they still are.