PDA

View Full Version : Oops, Glossy...

Just_Me
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
The other day I spray painted my small group of Kroot mercenaries, I decided to go with a tan colored base, because it would be easier to paint over it than white or black. Unfortunately, despite what the can said, it dried glossy. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to un-gloss a glossy coat of paint? Perhaps washing them with some mild corrosive? Or failing that, what the simplest way to strip paint off plastic without damaging it (I have heard of using transmission fluid, but I have no experience with it).

Trougedoor122
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I personally do not know how to un-gloss a coat of glossy paint, but you can always soak the base in simple green, which can be found at most hardware stores.

plasticaddict
01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
If it's just a base, try running a file or better yet a piece of sand paper over it. That should knock the glossy finish off.

Lerra
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
If you spray dullcote flat finish over a model, it will remove the shiny finish. You can also get paint-on dull finish instead of spray paint at some hobby/art stores.

Vorlon
01-05-2010, 04:52 PM
What he said *points up*. I used gloss varnish on one of the first squads I ever painted ( I didnt know any better at the time) and my fiance hit it with a very light coat of matte varnish which made a huge difference.

Mystery.Shadow
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
If you spray dullcote flat finish over a model, it will remove the shiny finish. You can also get paint-on dull finish instead of spray paint at some hobby/art stores.

What Lerra says is true! Use Matte Clearcoat.

Often, when working with Metal Models, I matte clearcoat spray them so the parts I've already painted does not chip. I can then continue painting without any ill effects.

fade_74
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah.....just spray on some matte and it should be fine. I spray all my larger models with gloss finish before i do washes. (it helps the wash run into cracks) Then spray matte over it before I continue, and it works like a charm.

Just_Me
01-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Well, I tried hitting them with a light coat of matte (grey incidentally, I figured if it came off it might do most of my work for me and give them a nice skin tone). Unfortunately It didn't work, so they are going in a diluted simple green bath over night to be stripped tomorrow so I can start over.

Vorlon
01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Sorry to hear it didnt work =/
Just FYI, from personal experience I find that Purple Power (degreasing agent) works faster/more complete than Simple Green....and doesnt make your army smell piney fresh.