PDA

View Full Version : varnish spray cans

Glyn
04-16-2014, 06:33 PM
ok long shot question but does anyone have a rough idea about how many models you can get varnished out of a 400ml can?

Lunar Camel
04-16-2014, 11:58 PM
A lot! I've done complete armies and sometimes two with one can. Just make sure you shake the can for at least two minutes and don't spray in humid weather or you'll get a dusty appearance on your models.

Have fun!

Maestro
04-17-2014, 12:35 AM
Also, don't try to cover the entire model from all directions and get all the nooks and crannies. It's normally only the bits that stick out that need the protection from varnish!

For ultra-fast varnishing, keep a hair-dryer nearby. You can do 2 coats of varnish in less than 5 minutes that way!

Evilbob831
04-17-2014, 07:51 AM
I've had good luck with using an ultra glossy first coat, then a matte second coat. That way when it starts to shine on the table, I know that the outer layer of protection is starting to wear off from play or transport or whatever.

Blood Shadow
04-17-2014, 02:32 PM
I've had some horrid experiences with spray varnish, so temperamental. Nowadays I like to hand paint varnish helmets and armour but leave fabric and skin, blacks look so much better with a wet look.

SquigBrain
04-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Testor's Dullcote. Pure awesome.