PDA

View Full Version : Base size??

Crydon Games
04-14-2014, 10:27 PM
I know that in previous editions, bases larger than those provided (ie decorative) were allowed...is this true of 6th ed? :confused:

Rob Godin
04-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Only by Rule of Cool.
You have a decorative, well painted base, but it is too big - Rule of Cool says yes.
You have a plain black GW base that is too big - No, that is modeling for an advantage.

White Tiger88
04-15-2014, 01:10 AM
I know that in previous editions, bases larger than those provided (ie decorative) were allowed...is this true of 6th ed? :confused:

In a competitive event No, In a casual event Yes

Wolfshade
04-15-2014, 01:32 AM
There is one rule on bases:

"Models supplied with bases must be attached to them".

Cutter
04-15-2014, 08:40 AM

What about Terminators of a certain age?

lobster-overlord
04-15-2014, 08:59 AM

THe older metal termys, and original plastics came with a 25mm base. If that is what they are modeled on still, I have never encountered anyone that has had an issue. I personally upgraded mine at 5th ed so they would match all the other termys I was buying, but that was a personal choice.

If you have them and they are already built, stick with it, unless you want to redo. If you are buying older OOP models with small bases, you'd probably be best served to build them on the larger bases since you are building them during 6th edition, which has a 40mm standard for termys.

Nabterayl
04-15-2014, 09:13 AM

QFT. "Modeling for advantage" is not a rules concept. It's a player convention that events may adopt.

Lord Asterion
04-15-2014, 09:30 AM
This is why my Ghazkull is mounted on a 40mm base that magnets into a sculpted 60mm base that has a recess in the centre, the 40mm is what he's supplied with and its ridiculous, he hangs over the edge of the dam thing!

DarkLink
04-15-2014, 11:13 AM
You should really still get large bases for old terminators. Head off any complaints.

Crydon Games
04-15-2014, 11:54 AM
The reason I asked is that I want to use Arachnarok spiders as "counts as" Thunderwolf cav. I have them mounted on the bases from the Trigon...substantially larger than the bases supplied with Thunderwolves.

Mr Mystery
04-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Yup.

Base size is important.

The larger the base, the more models can engage it in HTH. Using a smaller base can make it harder to properly swamp some units.

Ben_S
04-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Base size also has important effects on blast markers and deep striking (where applicable). Not to mention the fact that size of the model is terribly important (for LoS/cover) so, if your reason for wanting a larger base is that you're using a larger model, that's a whole can of worms in itself.

But, as noted, the actual rule on bases is pretty loose. Going by the rule in the book, it's actually illegal for me to re-base my old metal Terminators on 40mm bases, because the rule says they must be on the bases the came with.

MajorWesJanson
04-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Only by Rule of Cool.
You have a decorative, well painted base, but it is too big - Rule of Cool says yes.
You have a plain black GW base that is too big - No, that is modeling for an advantage.

I run my XV-8 Crisis suits on 50mm bases now instead of 40mm. They aren't nicely decorated or super well painted (glued sand painted brown), It's not modelled for rules advantage though, it's because 50mm bases give a lot more room to pose crisis suits, letting them have more dynamic poses without tipping over, or wider stances without feet going off the edges.

Arkhan Land
04-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Base size also has important effects on blast markers and deep striking (where applicable). Not to mention the fact that size of the model is terribly important (for LoS/cover) so, if your reason for wanting a larger base is that you're using a larger model, that's a whole can of worms in itself.

But, as noted, the actual rule on bases is pretty loose. Going by the rule in the book, it's actually illegal for me to re-base my old metal Terminators on 40mm bases, because the rule says they must be on the bases the came with.

Personally my reasons for changing bases were two-fold, one to standardize my wraithgaurd/Terms/Warriors/etc but also because back in the day, game boards were many times, flat as all hell, nowadays with a realm of battle in every room or the crazy homemade makings of terrain freekazoids its not as eas to find all those flat surfaces for your pewter model to sit comfortably on with such a small base. good example would be old CSM terms with autocannons, yikes, lil a-holes used to fall everywhere all the time

Wolfshade
04-16-2014, 06:41 AM
I best hide my old rhino chassis tanks...

MajorWesJanson
04-16-2014, 09:22 PM

Well that is easy enough, just put them behind new Rhino Chassis tanks, you won't see them :D

Crydon Games
04-16-2014, 09:59 PM
I remember and understand why they standardized them...my question is, if I challenged you to a "fun" game and un-boxed a set of 3-4 "thunderwolf cav" that were actually araknarok spiders w/marines on top...base size equal to trygon bases...would you play or assume that I was re-basing for my own game?

Nabterayl
04-17-2014, 12:13 AM
I'd certainly play.

Wolfshade
04-17-2014, 02:31 AM
Rule #1.

If it looks cool, do it.

Dave Mcturk
04-17-2014, 03:48 AM
"I run my XV-8 Crisis suits on 50mm bases now instead of 40mm. They aren't nicely decorated or super well painted (glued sand painted brown), It's not modelled for rules advantage though, it's because 50mm bases give a lot more room to pose crisis suits, letting them have more dynamic poses without tipping over, or wider stances without feet going off the edges."

this ^

i have zagstruk on an 80mm base as he is very 'top heavy' ; the 40mm base is 'inserted' actually back of centre for extra stability but can easily be visually measured to if someone gets picky.

the venothropes are also very easily overbalanced so we have them mounted on top of clear skimmer bases, this gives a clear visual on the 'real' base edge but has stopped the headless model syndrome that used to occur by the end of turn two.

the real problem is that GW has made its models bigger over the years but is stuck with archaic base sizes.

Wildcard
04-17-2014, 05:30 AM
There are also cases where bigger base is better. For example when number of close combat attacks are based on enemy models in b2b (Grey Knight Brotherhood Champion comes to mind and probably Black Templars Emperors Champion iirc)

Arkhan Land
04-17-2014, 08:05 AM

my company has nothing but old pattern vehicles. come to think of it the Old T-hawk is many inches shorter than the resin one and its on a shorter base...

Wolfshade
04-17-2014, 08:09 AM
The Rhinos aren't too bad, the Ork trukks however....

Rory Wildwards
04-18-2014, 04:20 PM
On the subject of rebasing because of top heavy models....
on occasion I decorate bases (correct size) of larger or unstable models with some slate (painted up as ice) which lowers the centre of gravity and makes them more stable. My terminator wolfgaurd and my thunderwolf cavalry hardly ever topple. (Both converted into more awesome positions and therefore more unstable :P)

Arkhan Land
04-19-2014, 07:21 AM
slate is great!

I've used tiny tiny bits of it for my Termagants I made out of Hormagaunts which are a ridiculously unbalanced model

have a lot of it around from aquarium makin's

Defenestratus
04-19-2014, 08:52 AM
You should really still get large bases for old terminators. Head off any complaints.

I've got 20 old metal wraithguard on small bases. They look totally ridiculous on the new 40mm bases.

No.

Katharon
04-19-2014, 09:40 AM

I've been in situations where a player took direct advantage of his old 2nd edition Terminators in deep striking with this. My opinion: if you're going to compete competitively, then you better switch up those bases real quick like.

twrex
05-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Awww, you made me nostalgic, mate. My brother had an Ulthwe Eldar army and would always bop my orks with those wraithguards. Back in the dark ages when bikes counted as vehicles, there was a heavy weapon die, and vehicles had stat cards--memories :D