PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard 1500 - feedback would be awesome

fellclaw01
04-14-2014, 05:10 AM
Hi Guys

First attempt at a 1500 point list with new guard - feedback much appreciated
As all out tourneys are 1500 most of my lists are based around this

Basic idea is tanks advance popping battle cannon and dem shots. 3 infantry squads in chimeras move behind for central objectives
Command squad 1 infantry squad and heavy teams baby sit objextives at home base

Verterans alpha sacrifice/ grad objectives in Valkyrie

Thinking of replacing flak team with aegis/ quad gun

Feedback will be appreciated

Basically idea is

1500 imperial guard

HQ

Tank commander.
+ 2 leaman Russ tanks.
2 lascannons/ heavy bolters.
Total.

Troops

Infantry platoon.
Command squad.
power sword.
Heavy Bolter.
Infantry platoon.
Infantry platoon.
Infantry platoon.
Infantry platoon.
Heavy Bolter.
3 chimera.
Lascannon heavy team.
Flak missile team.
Total.

Veteran squad.
3 flamers.
Demolition.
Total.

Fast attack

Valkyrie.
+lascannon/ rockets.
Total.

Heavy support

Leaman Russ demolisher.

TOTAL. 1500

Mad Cat
04-14-2014, 06:04 AM
HQ: Don't put weapon upgrades on basic russ or demolishers, just stick with the free hull HB. Firing an ordnance weapon means all other weapons must snap fire. The HEAVY TANK rule does not override this. If you take any of the other russ variants they don't have ordnance weapons so feel free to kith them out with sponsons, stubbers and hull lascannon etc.

Troops: Vets are fun but I don't like putting flamers on BS4 models. Melta or plasma would be my preference. Demolitions is great fun but expensive and you often only get to use the demmo charge as you are shot or charged before meltabombs can be used. Carapace armour is now cheap for them and could be a better bet to get a second shot off.

An alternative to this suicide unit is a cheap SWS with 3 flamers or even go silly with 3 demmo charges. You would need another troop choice though but 10 vets with cammo and sniper rifles make a cheap objective camper unit. An advantage with the SWs is you could switch the Valk to a Vendetta.

Platoon is ok. Drop the power sword and put AC+GL into each infantry squad. HWS are ok but can be shot first and with no ADL they are vulnerable but a nearby ruin can do the job and get them a little height. Flak missiles are expensive, if you take a vendetta then it can do air cover for you instead.

Fast: Dont mix anti tank and anti troops. I would seriously look at the SWS in a vendetta. They are expensive but still worth the points.

Heavy: Good.

This Dave
04-14-2014, 08:51 AM
HQ: Don't put weapon upgrades on basic russ or demolishers, just stick with the free hull HB. Firing an ordnance weapon means all other weapons must snap fire. The HEAVY TANK rule does not override this. If you take any of the other russ variants they don't have ordnance weapons so feel free to kith them out with sponsons, stubbers and hull lascannon etc.

Depends on your local meta reading of the vehicles and ordnance rules. They can be read that stationary vehicles can fire Ordnance and everything else at full BS, which means that Heavy vehicles can move and shoot at full BS regardless. This is apparently the way the guys at Forge World play as I've gotten several email replies stating this from them.

Considering a standard Leman Russ or Demolisher is kind of lame without this reading I pretty much feel this is what GW intends despite their usual ambiguous rules wording.

Mad Cat
04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
The rules are quite clear. If you have the HEAVY TANK rule you always are classed as stationary for firing weapons.

If you fire Ordnance weapons then all other weapons must snap fire weather the vehicle moves or not. A stationary vindicator must snap fire the storm bolter.

This Dave
04-14-2014, 12:43 PM
The rules are quite clear. If you have the HEAVY TANK rule you always are classed as stationary for firing weapons.

If you fire Ordnance weapons then all other weapons must snap fire weather the vehicle moves or not. A stationary vindicator must snap fire the storm bolter.

Actually they're written about as clearly as many GW rules. In other words open to interpretation. Read it one way and you get that firing Ordnance always causes the rest of the weapons to be snap shots. Since the line about that comes right after the one talking about moving then it can be read that the other weapons only snap shoot after the vehicle moves.

Between emails from Forge World saying its that way and the fact that doing it that way makes the most sense for Leman Russes and Demolishers (and some FW vehicles like the Helios) it definitely seems like that's the way GW intends it to be played.

fellclaw01
04-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback- please note I am trying to run WYSIWYG as much as possible with steel legion- everything is painted and assembled so don't want to change anything lightly. I have a Cadian army that isn't painted yet where I will have a lot more flexibility

GW keep changing the way sponsons worked- last Ed they were worth it. want to see what happens when the FAQ arrives around the leaman Russ setups. If there is no clarification for the sponsons probably with use the points gained to squeeze the sws and Vandetta in. Need to find points elsewhere as well.

I see you point with the Valkyrie weapons load out why the hell did I build 2 this way? Methinks some remodeling may be in order

As these are steel legion models I haven't got any autocannons and don't see the point when they are in transports as the only time they get out is to grab objectives or when the transport is blown up

fellclaw01
04-14-2014, 02:56 PM
How about...

Tank commander.
+ 2 leaman Russ tanks.
Total. 360

Troops

Infantry platoon.
Command squad.
Power sword.
Flak missile.
Heavy Bolter.
Infantry platoon.
Infantry platoon.
Infantry platoon.
Infantry platoon.
3 chimera.
Lascannon heavy team.
Sws. W flamers.
Total.

Veteran squad.
3 snipers.
Total.

Fast attack

Vandetta.

Heavy support

Leaman Russ demolisher.

ADL. W/ quad.

TOTAL.

xsquidz
04-15-2014, 01:04 PM
How about...

Tank commander.
+ 2 leaman Russ tanks.
Total. 360

How come its 360? 2 standard russes and a commander is only 330.

fellclaw01
04-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Just a typo checked the list again and it's 330