PDA

View Full Version : Slabshield

Turner
04-13-2014, 08:16 AM
"If a model with a slabshield is in base contact with one or more models with a slabshield from the same unit, it adds +1 to its Armour Save. Furthermore, if a target (friend or foe) is partially obscured from the firer's view by at least one model with a slabshield, it receives +1 to its cover save."

If a Bullgryn is directly facing a Space Marine with a plasma gun and is wounded by said Space Marine with said plasma gun, would the Bullgryn get a 6+ cover save from his own Slabshield?

Anggul
04-13-2014, 09:06 AM
You have to be "partially obscured from the firer's view by at least one model with a Slabshield". Not really seeing how you could think they get it themselves unless you Look Out Sir! the wound to a Bone-'ead who was behind another Bullgryn.

Blood Shadow
04-13-2014, 09:10 AM
No....clearly states that the target must be partially obscured by the model with the shield, not just the shield....however.....I guess if a Bullgryn being victim of a precision shot, with another Bullgryn between himself and the plasma gun could claim a cover save....

Turner
04-13-2014, 09:56 AM
I see, I was a little confused because it appears that all the requirements would be fulfilled in this instance.

The Bullgryn is partially obscured from the fire's view by at least one model with a slabshield. It would appear that it does not matter that the model is with the slabshield is the one being targeted. If, for instance, the Bullgyrn was being shot in the back then the Bullgyrn would not be partially obscured from the fire's view by one model with a slabshield.

SquigBrain
04-13-2014, 10:50 AM
The slabshield is not a separate model.

Therefore, it is not being obscured by anything. To be obscured, you need to have a portion of your model (which includes the slabshield) obscured by another model (or terrain).

Turner
04-13-2014, 11:30 AM
That logic seems to be RAI instead of RAW. The word "another" doesn't appear anywhere in the rule.

"If a model with a slabshield is in base contact with one or more models with a slabshield from the same unit, it adds +1 to its Armour Save. Furthermore, if a target (friend or foe) is partially obscured from the firer's view by at least one model with a slabshield, it receives +1 to its cover save."

Ben_S
04-13-2014, 11:39 AM
That logic seems to be RAI instead of RAW. The word "another" doesn't appear anywhere in the rule.

"if a target (friend or foe) is partially obscured from the firer's view by at least one model with a slabshield, it receives +1 to its cover save."

No, it doesn't say another model, but are you arguing that the Marine's view of his target is obscured by his target? If that's the case, then doesn't everyone get a cover save when shot at?

Lord Asterion
04-13-2014, 11:44 AM

The Target is the closest model with the slabshield, does a model obscure itself?

Turner
04-13-2014, 12:31 PM
He is obscuring himself with his own slabshield.

Lord Asterion
04-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Is a slabshield a model with a slabshield?

Anggul
04-13-2014, 01:57 PM

That isn't how it works, the position of the shield on the model doesn't mean a thing. A model with a Slabshield obscuring another models grants +1 to cover. The rule specifies "one or more models with a Slabshield", the rules never refer to an object on a model unless it's a weapon on a vehicle.

SquigBrain
04-13-2014, 03:23 PM

(facepalm)

If that was valid, space marines could claim 2+ cover from their power armor. Be sensible.

Nabterayl
04-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Models are not targets. Units are targets. As page 12 says, a firing unit "can shoot at one enemy unit that it can see," and again, "To do so [choose a target], you must check the range and line of sight from your unit to the enemy unit you are targeting" (emphasis added).

If the bullgryn's unit is obscured by one or more models with a slabshield, it would have a 6+ cover save in the open. But a unit cannot be obscured by members of itself.

DarkLink
04-14-2014, 01:13 AM
If that was valid, space marines could claim 2+ cover from their power armor. Be sensible.

Better yet, you could model a daemon prince wrapped within his own wings. You can't target the wings, since such extraneous bits don't count, but since you can't see the model because the wings are in the way then you literally can't shoot it. Rules-lawyering to the max.

Lord Asterion
04-14-2014, 03:26 AM
Ok, so, a charcter gets a 6 when rolling to hit with his combi-plasma and targets the Bone 'Ead in the unit, which is behind another 2 Ogryns with Slabshields, partially obscured by them, so he gets a 6+ cover save?

Anggul
04-14-2014, 03:44 AM
Ok, so, a charcter gets a 6 when rolling to hit with his combi-plasma and targets the Bone 'Ead in the unit, which is behind another 2 Ogryns with Slabshields, partially obscured by them, so he gets a 6+ cover save?

Yup, it specifies that it's on a per model basis so I would say so.

Nabterayl
04-14-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm not so sure about that. Page 18 says that models don't receive cover saves for being partially hidden from the firer's view by models from in the target unit. You aren't "in cover" by virtue of being obscured by a model in the target unit, so it doesn't seem like the Bone'ead is obscured by the ogryns with slabshields.

Anggul
04-14-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm not so sure about that. Page 18 says that models don't receive cover saves for being partially hidden from the firer's view by models from in the target unit. You aren't "in cover" by virtue of being obscured by a model in the target unit, so it doesn't seem like the Bone'ead is obscured by the ogryns with slabshields.

I stand corrected, I did think it would be an exception, but I guess it's no different to any other cover save granted by models being in the way.