PDA

View Full Version : Kinetic Sand for terrain?

hyudun
04-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Anyone ever tried using Kinetic Sand as terrain? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVZeskfKxw0

It's sand mixed in with some non-toxic polymers so that it has a consistency like wet beach sand, but won't stick to your hands (as long as they're clean and dry).

Imagine filling up an entire table with it (with walls on the sides to keep it in, of course). You could sculpt hills, trenches, etc. and theoretically it would stay in place as long as you weren't actually trying to tear it down (haven't played with too much of it myself, so not sure about its structural integrity). Could even do destructible terrain with it - tear down sand dunes and create craters wherever ordinance lands.

Paulo187
04-09-2014, 01:17 PM
One thing you should keep in mind is to make sure that you don't have any cats. A friend of mine built a sand table (with regular sand) for our Flames of War North Africa campaign but kept having to dig cat poop out of it whenever he would forget to cover it overnight. The guy had three cats. It was awful.

euansmith
04-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Paulo187, I think it is a shame this forum doesn't have a like/recommend button.

SquigBrain
04-09-2014, 01:46 PM
So *that's* what 'Mysterious Terrain' means!

Chaoschrist
04-09-2014, 01:52 PM
From what I see in the video, it doesn't really set in that well and just keeps moving a bit too much to be of any solid relevance for a gaming table.

The idea to shape craters at a whim is awesome though.

hyudun
04-09-2014, 03:33 PM
From what I see in the video, it doesn't really set in that well and just keeps moving a bit too much to be of any solid relevance for a gaming table.

The idea to shape craters at a whim is awesome though.

I've seen pictures of fairly sturdy-looking sand castles and such. Might just need to pack it in tightly, which I don't think the person in the video really did. If I get my hands on some, I'll update.