PDA

View Full Version : Legion of the Damned WAVE 2

energongoodie
01-04-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1430059&rootCatGameStyle=

New LOTD models just went up for advance order. The sergeant looks great!

Faultie
01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I like these better than the first wave. Nice!

Melissia
01-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Do they really need so many different models for a single elite choice?

energongoodie
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM

yes

archimbald
01-04-2010, 01:05 PM

yes

lmao but all i can say bout them is DAMN

MVBrandt
01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
MEQ are MEQ; perhaps they are hoping people will use them for a variety of unit choices ... they sure are gorgeous, but yeah ... for one of the worst units in the game that's kinda silly.

Melissia
01-04-2010, 01:34 PM
yes
No.

And I'd ask the same question if they created twenty separate Celestian models, too (even if it would be nice to have the plastics). Except for troops choices, no single unit needs that many different models... and troops choices only because you're supposed to have a lot of them anyway.

MVBrandt
01-04-2010, 02:07 PM
No, that's not really an appropriate comparison. There are 2 competitive and relatively current edition codices in Chaos and SM (and arguably more like 5+ if you count things like the angels, templars, etc.) that utilize marine models with bolters and occasionally special or heavy weapons as primary miniatures across numerous slots in the army. While there is a Legion of the Damned slot for the Marines to make the miniatures actually relevant to a specific unit, most of them can be cross utilized by eager beaver hobbyists until they are blue in the face.

It's not equivalent to releasing 20 separate Celestian models for this very reason. Or, perhaps it is, in the sense that if there were multiple popular codices/armies out there utilizing female warriors in powered armor with bolters as standard issue sidearms, it would make some sense to release gorgeous miniatures of femal warriors in powered armor with bolters as standard issue sidearms.

While anyone with half a brain can compliain about the fact that releasing two waves of metals for a unit that is utter crap and limited to a small section of a single dex ... a little analysis shows it's certainly not the worst thing ever ... at least they have a lot of cross utility.

Duke
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
I am really excited about the havy flamer model... 4 of them are going straight into my 2 sternguard squads!

Duke

MVBrandt
01-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Bingo! The LOTD make me want to acquire various models for my marine army. I don't even have a marine army. Kudos to amazing models for a unit that not only didn't have any, but is simple enough in load-out and style to fit into an enormous range of alternate options.

Melissia
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
And yet, they already released a series of models for this squad. There's no need to release another series so soon, with so many other armies needing plastics (Guard, Tyranids, Wolves, any army that has metal troops...)

They're good models, but they're still the same squad that was already relatively recently released.

Duke
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I always welcome more marine models... I just can wait till they make a tactical squad box where the marines are doing acrobatics! woot

Duke

Melissia
01-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I always welcome more marine models... I just can wait till they make a tactical squad box where the marines are doing acrobatics! woot

Duke

And then afterwards they can release the leisure box set, which depicts sleeping Marines, Marines taking a dump, Marines standing at urinals, and Marines sitting down to eat lunch.

The Sergeant's standing up playing Wii Sports.

Lord Azaghul
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
And then afterwards they can release the leisure box set, which depicts sleeping Marines, Marines taking a dump, Marines standing at urinals, and Marines sitting down to eat lunch.

The Sergeant's standing up playing Wii Sports.

I would buy those.

MVBrandt
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Wtb.

mysterex
01-04-2010, 11:55 PM
So that's 17 albeit beautifully sculpted models for an expensive non-scoring unit that most people won't include in their army. Seems like overkill to me at a time when there's other things that deserve more attention. (And yes I do have an SM army).

I would have preferred to see a plastic kit so that people could build their own variety in. Maybe I underestimate others' appetite for expensive metal over plastic.

Oh well. I guess we can expect release 3 so that we get the power fist and remaining special and heavy weapon options.

Vlad
01-05-2010, 02:25 AM
These minies could be an awesome DEATH company for BA.

Cryl
01-05-2010, 02:29 AM

If these were fairly limited in what can be done with them and what they can be used for then I'd agree with you but I think the bonus of these models is that they can be used for so many things... Blood Angels Death Company, Salamanders Sternguard and I can't be the only person looking at these thinking conversion for Chaos Marines of some sort. The damned Sgt. (one or the other) will become my Dark Apostle and the other models will fit into my Chosen with varying amounts of work.

Fellend
01-05-2010, 05:28 AM
They are all awesome enought that i'll get them just for the fun of painting them. Despite playing Black Templar.
But really, realising them 2 by 2, couldn't they have done 2 packs of five instead?