PDA

View Full Version : SM Chapter Master's Orbital Bombardment

Eberk
04-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Need a ruling... how do you understand these rules and how would you play following phase in a battle.

Chapter Master may call down an orbital bombardment, this counts as firing a weapon.

Chapter Master is inside a Land Raider which has no fire points.

Can or can't the Chapter Master call down an orbital bombardment when riding inside a Land Raider ?

How would you play this phase in a battle ?

Thanks for you input/feedback

Gleipnir
04-08-2014, 01:21 PM
kinda just answered your own question within the question.

chapter master would require a means of making a shooting attack with the orbital bombardment attack profile and absent a fire point it would not be possible while embarked on a Land Raider.

If you want a tank for making Orbital Bombardments without needing to disembark thats what a Damocles is for

Blood Shadow
04-08-2014, 01:31 PM
I'd argue it's more debatable, not needing LoS and all.....but if the LR has moved forget it anyway.

A quick search on the net suggests a fire point is needed but not LoS, using Astral Aim (GK) as precedent.

Though not having a phone inside the LR seems silly really....

Eberk
04-08-2014, 01:32 PM
kinda just answered your own question within the question
Yes and No :) and that was what the (small) rules argument was about.

it "counts as" firing a weapon (thus prohibiting the CM firing another gun that shooting phase) but it isn't really "shooting a weapon"... So do you need a fire point when you're doing something that counts as shooting but really isn't shooting ?

Gleipnir
04-08-2014, 01:49 PM
it is a shooting attack with a profile attached to it, the only reason LoS is not required is it can be fired indirectly via Barrage

Nabterayl
04-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah, you can't shoot at all if you don't have a fire point.

Eberk
04-09-2014, 02:09 AM
That's what I thought, I wouldn't have objected if the LR had a Fire point.
(in the end we just diced for it so the game could continue)

If you want a tank for making Orbital Bombardments without needing to disembark thats what a Damocles is for

I'll tell my opponent ;)