PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't More People Use the Local Sub-Forums?

crazyredpraetorian
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I've noticed that the sub-forums here on the lounge don't get used very often. I know here in Austin, we have a local forum that is very active. Is this the case in your region or are there other reasons for the lack of use? The sub-forums could be used for setting up games, local tournaments, and local discussions. I think it's a shame that it is not being used more, it is a great tool and it is not being utilized.

Nabterayl
01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
My honest, if lame, answer is that I'm a lawyer who has much more time and/or psychological inclination to buy and assemble models than to paint them. Consequently I don't have a fully (or even mostly) painted force, and consequently I'm embarrassed to reach out to folks to play.

crazyredpraetorian
01-03-2010, 11:06 PM
You sir, are not alone in having unpainted minis. I would say unpainted/partially painted armies are the norm. I have one painted army and my SWs are coming along alot slower than I would like.

plasticaddict
01-03-2010, 11:43 PM
I have a four painted armies and and about eleven unpainted ones (for all the games I play). Unpainted in casual play is fine with me and my local group. Don't be afaid to play unpainted, just try to have it as a work in progress and you'll find that you have more incentive to finish painting.

Mike X
01-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I don't use the local forums because I'm scared of being raped and/or murdered. Everyone knows the Intarwebz is made up of only two kinds of people: sexual predators and con-artists.

Guess which I am.

BuFFo
01-04-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't use the local forums because I'm scared of being raped and/or murdered. Everyone knows the Intarwebz is made up of only two kinds of people: sexual predators and con-artists.

Guess which I am.

A sexual con artist?

Mike X
01-04-2010, 01:02 AM
A sexual con artist?

Bingo.

Denzark
01-04-2010, 01:48 AM
I would use the trading forums... Oh wait there isn't one on this site...YET...:p

Diagnosis Ninja
01-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Well, last time I checked, Birmingham, Manchester and London weren't very local. Manchester, the closest out of the three, is still something in the region of 150 miles away. Also, Europe is a little beyond my reach XD

DarkLink
01-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Well, last time I checked, Birmingham, Manchester and London weren't very local. Manchester, the closest out of the three, is still something in the region of 150 miles away. Also, Europe is a little beyond my reach XD

Right. I don't think there are any players here that are in my area that I don't already know. Thing is, with our members scattered across the entire world, we're pretty spread out.

ZenPaladin
01-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I was actualy considering puting out a call for a game here soon as my friends seem to have moved on and my itch to field my Cron's has grown dramaticly in the last few months.

Probibly all the dawn of war I'm playing on PC. I havent done it yet because I'm still trying to talk my local crew into a game and I'm a bit concerned about the effort and location and such.

Aldramelech
01-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Goodbye

Lord Azaghul
01-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Des Moines, Iowa...Anyone...Anyone...?

I use a local store run forum (mayhemcomics) quite a bit, but I just don't bother with subforms

Bigred
01-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi guys,

I originally set up the local forums to act as a meeting spots for the cities that contain the most BoLS readers. They are designed to act as a convenient "holding spot" for those posts that are of local nature and don't fit within the greater global context of the general forums. (you lost something, or are trying to locate a good store)

These types of things are also great spots for new players, or players who newly arrived in an urban area to call out for some basic gaming info from other locals.

Trading Forums
In the North American section so far, I have added local bartertown trading forums as this type of ability is much easier to do with people in your own town.

I have not set up a master global trading froum yet, as we are still exploring the sticky details of policing such a thing. There is also ebay which roughly fills that need on a global level.

In general, the local forums are always there as a helpful service for you you guys to use, and I'm sure they will grow in use over time as our membership grows. From time to time, I will reshuffle some of them to make sure they best reflect our readerbase.

Lerra
01-04-2010, 10:52 AM
The local forums are a bit hidden near the bottom of the forum list, too. I only discovered them a few weeks ago.

crazyredpraetorian
01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
The local forums are a bit hidden near the bottom of the forum list, too. I only discovered them a few weeks ago.

That's a good point. But, something has to be at the bottom. Still, a very good point.

pgarfunkle
01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I wasn't aware that they existed, I will now have a nose

imperialsavant
01-04-2010, 06:10 PM
You sir, are not alone in having unpainted minis. I would say unpainted/partially painted armies are the norm. I have one painted army and my SWs are coming along alot slower than I would like.

:) Come on "crp" get your priorities right! Paint, paint, Paint!
I have always refused to table any model that is not painted.
However on my paint station I do have 5 Black Templar Sword Bretheran & the Throne of Judgement about half painted which I abandoned to build a Valkyrie, Shadowsword & Basalisk.
Thats what I call getting MY priorities right!

Back on Topic---- Come on all you Aussies on Forum-----take a trip down to our Sub Forum & lets chat! :)

warpcrafter
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I didn't even know there were local sub-forums. I'll have to check it out.

Okay, I looked, and there isn't a sub-forum for Kansas City. How would I start one?

gwensdad
01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm sorry, I must have missed the Fort Wayne sub forum. Oh wait, no I didn't because it doesn't exist.
Not everyone lives in a "Major" area and even so if I lived in the biggest one in my state-it still wouldn't be listed.

crazyredpraetorian
01-04-2010, 08:49 PM
:) Come on "crp" get your priorities right! Paint, paint, Paint!
I have always refused to table any model that is not painted.
However on my paint station I do have 5 Black Templar Sword Bretheran & the Throne of Judgement about half painted which I abandoned to build a Valkyrie, Shadowsword & Basalisk.
Thats what I call getting MY priorities right!

Back on Topic---- Come on all you Aussies on Forum-----take a trip down to our Sub Forum & lets chat! :)

Last month, I completed a Chimera, a demolisher turret, 2 troopers, and built and painted a display board....in 2 days. And I completed a Canis Wolfborn in December. But, I do need to paint more.:D

Herald of Nurgle
01-04-2010, 11:48 PM
I think it's evidently obvious what needs to be done - perhaps, for the Manchester/London/Other Place (lol!) sub forums we need to just make it more general and realise that other countries (Eire, or Ireland) like to be recognised as independent for once.

Pick a Scottish and an Irish city for 'em, and then make London a bit more central - or just call it 'The Damned England'

Bigred
01-05-2010, 12:49 AM
The local subforums exist to serve you all and your local communities. What I have put in place is merely a starting point, and by all means let me know if you have a local group who would use a sub-forum. I can set them up easily, but obviously want to help support and grow the BoLS Lounge community where ever you guys live.

crazyredpraetorian
01-05-2010, 12:56 AM
There you go guys, you have no excuses now. Get to using those sub-forums!

Lerra
01-05-2010, 01:50 AM
On the main lounge page, if the background of the local sub-forums area was light blue like the rest, it might be more easily noticed. Right now, the dark blue blends into the background and it's pretty easy to overlook.

therealjohnny5
01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
i didnt know they existed...now i do...

imperialsavant
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Last month, I completed a Chimera, a demolisher turret, 2 troopers, and built and painted a display board....in 2 days. And I completed a Canis Wolfborn in December. But, I do need to paint more.:D

Ayatani Priest chants "You are absolved, my Son. The Emperor recognises your dedication to the Imperial Creed! (smell of Incense in background) NOW! get bact to your Paint Station or it will be the Inquisition Cells for you!!!! :D