PDA

View Full Version : Stripping paint and glue. Please help.

Halollet
04-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Im working with my tyranid warriors and I want to be able to rip the arms off. I've dipped them in simple green and got most of the paint off of them but the glue is holding strong.

I think I used testors plastic cement but I'm not sure. Its been years and years since I've had to change these bugs.

So is there a stripper that's stronger then simple green that will allow me to get the glue out but not melt my model? I doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Aaron LeClair
04-05-2014, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SSz_JgnYdU

Morgrim
04-06-2014, 01:58 AM
If you've used plastic glue on a plastic model and you used it properly, you aren't getting those arms off. It works by melting and fusing the plastic together into one piece. You can try applying careful force and twisting and hoping the bond is weak but that's about it.

If you've used superglue put the model in your freezer. The cold will weaken the bond and make it easier to snap the arms from the model.

Jerry C. Richwine
04-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Pinesol is awesome to get paint off. I also scrub with a crappy toothbrush too. As for glue, water=universal solvent. Water will weaken most glues. If you used a plastic miniature and the glue bonds specifically plastics, you're sol cause those glues melt and meld plastics.

coffeetable
04-06-2014, 08:39 AM
http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/

I was told by the guy at my hobby shop that this stuff strips paint and CA glues without harming the plastic and resin... but I have not had a chance to try it first hand.

Vinny Bulloch
04-06-2014, 09:10 AM
i use the purple pine sol, just the purple kind, you can leave plastic or metal figs in there as long as you want and it wont harm them, then get a cheap electric tooth brush from the dollar store, and the paint comes right off

Domine Nox
04-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Castrol Superclean. I swear by it. Works on Metal, and Plastic with no worries. I haven't tried it on Finecast though, so can't speak for that. You submerge the model in the solution for 24hrs or more. There is no danger to longer, I've forgotten models and left them in it for 4 days. When you remove the model rinse with soap and warm water and scrub with a toothbrush, paint will just slough off. Make sure to scrub well, then dry because not getting all the stuff off will make repainting harder. I've used this method for stripping over 500 miniatures, so I definitely back its results.

Mike Lawler
04-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Superclean (it's in a big purple bottle) will break down superglue and strip paint.. and it's safe for plastics. Be warned though, you definitely need gloves for it. I've used it quite a bit and I typically do the following.

Remove the base (you don't want flocking material floating around and you don't need that extra superglue becoming residue on the rest of the model).
Place the model in a container with enough to submerge it completely. IF you have a pewter figure and part of it is sticking out it'll pick up a different color and texture from oxidation.
Let this soak for a day or two.
I then go over the model with an old toothbrush, a probe or hobby knife to pick at spots that might be stuck, a brass brush (it is actually pretty safe for plastic if you're not going completely berserk).. then repeat.. I usually do this under a stream of water.
Pat it dry on a paper towel.
Re-submerge for another day or two.
Repeat.

I know it seems tedious but I have some Dark Eldar I got in a trade along with a few other things and I've recovered most of these back to pristine. It takes some work but it'll definitely get there.

Marwin Lasuardi
04-06-2014, 11:16 AM
here in indonesia, we normally use a 99% alcohol bought from a chemical store.

Darren Richardson
04-06-2014, 01:08 PM
there's a couple of older threads that may help as well...

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?42083-My-tip-for-the-best-way-to-strip-paint-from-miniatures

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?39350-Re-priming-over-painted-miniatures-possible

Hope those will help

JGRSound
04-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Go here this stuff is amazing can be used on plastic metal and resin, is reusable, doesn't eat your skin and gives you pristine models in their component parts because it eats glue as well. There's a guy on youtube done a couple of videos it's great. Just don't mix it and your PVA up(they look the same) or disasters will ensue.
http://www.biostrip.co.uk/paint-stripping.html

Halollet
04-09-2014, 06:55 PM
If you've used plastic glue on a plastic model and you used it properly, you aren't getting those arms off. It works by melting and fusing the plastic together into one piece. You can try applying careful force and twisting and hoping the bond is weak but that's about it.

Yeah it was plastic glue and nothing is moving it so yeah... fused together. Any tips for removing tyranid warrior arms? Should I use a knife, saw, or clippers? Something else?

SquigBrain
04-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Depends on if you want to salvage the arms or not. If you do, then you need a razor saw. If you don't mind the arms being damaged, I'd go with clippers.