PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Horus Heresy

Dominion
04-05-2014, 01:14 PM
What Chaos Legion would you keep loyal in the Horus Heresy & which Loyalist Legion would you swap with to become corrupt?

Personally I would pick the Emperor's Children to save because I love their ideal of 'perfectionism' and their sick royal colours, plus they're the Emperor's Children (remind me why they still call themselves that?) and I would replace them with the Dark Angels, I always thought of them as quite mysterious, that with the fallen I feel if they would turn to Chaos they would fit a unique role with their fanciness and robes.

PS: I added all the former titles if you wanted to say bring back the War Hounds (Luna Wolves FTW!)

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM
I picked Thousand Sons because I've always thought their story was the most tragic. Until the very end, Magnus only wanted to serve his father loyally. It's true that he deserved what he got - he was hubristic, proud to the point of damnation - but I always thought that they got a raw deal anyway. And it really was a jerk move to have an entire legion dedicated to supporting their powerful psychics with their limited number of ordinary battle brothers and then outlaw the only thing they're any good at. In that context, Magnus seems less arrogant and more desperate. It's like he's saying "I'm only trying to work with what I've got here." The Emperor should have had a little more faith in him. If he'd trusted Magnus enough to listen, or sent anyone but the Wolves - the Blood Angels, maybe - to demand answers, everything could have gone differently.

I would also throw the Dark Angels under the bus to save the Thousand Sons. They're already so close... and in modern 40k they're such douchebags, spending almost as much of their time and energy protecting their 10k+ year old secret rather than actually doing good for people...

Tyrendian
04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Magnus&Co for me too, for pretty much EPs reasons...

And maybe I'd have thrown the Blood Angels to the Wolves instead (maybe even literally?! that would have been a fight to rival Prospero I'd reckon! Though not one Russ was all that likely to win probably...) - they were (and some are still - hello Blood Drinkers and such) close enough and would have given the World Eaters a serious run for their money/skulls...
Then again, who among the remaining Chaotics would have represented Tzeentch? Alpha Legion are mysterious and scheming, but don't care much for gods either way... So maybe it would have to have been Dark Angels yet...

dreadtanker
04-05-2014, 03:43 PM
I just wish alpha legion had their own codex to keep the mystery of their allegiance alive...But I regress. I would like toga seen the Iron Warriors remain with the emperor. Im an Iron Warriors fanatic. And I thought it would have been cool if the Khan wasn't a loyalist. Just out doing his own thing.

White Tiger88
04-05-2014, 03:46 PM
I would save any of them but the Word Bearers to throw the Wolves under the buss..........

Proiteus
04-05-2014, 03:51 PM
The Thousand Sons because they were loyal as well as a very interesting legion when compared to what they are in the current 40k universe.

DrBored
04-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Thousand Sons really got a raw deal. Magnus was trying to remain loyal, but through the most massive misunderstanding in the Galaxy, the Space Wolves were sent to knock them out.

That said, I'd much rather have the Space Wolves converted to Tzeentch.

Yep. Let's just swap that sad story around.

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 03:56 PM
I just wish alpha legion had their own codex to keep the mystery of their allegiance alive...But I regress. I would like toga seen the Iron Warriors remain with the emperor. Im an Iron Warriors fanatic. And I thought it would have been cool if the Khan wasn't a loyalist. Just out doing his own thing.

I agree that one of the most frustratingly limited things about how GW has written the Horus Heresy is that when the dust settled, there were only two sides: Chaos and the Imperium. Wouldn't it be neat if one or two of the legions had said "you know what? Screw all of you!" and gone off to found weirdo transhuman enclaves? While some "loyalist" chapters certainly do their own thing and don't come and go at the beck and call of the High Lords of Terra, all of them have to at least give lip service to Earth and the Imperium. It'd be neat of there wasn't this straightforward "good guy/bad guy" dichotomy...

I'd have arranged it like this:

• Loyal: Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, Salamanders
• Independent: Alpha Legion, Iron Hands, White Scars
• Chaos: Death Guard, Emperor's Children, Sons of Horus, Night Lords, Thousand Sons, Word Bearers, World Eaters

And then there'd be so many interesting plot threads, with Imperial officials trying to convince the independent chapters to help them, calling in ancient debts or trying to manipulate their own enemies into joining with one of the chapter's enemies, or even just begging and trying to invoke their tenuous human kinship... it would also help to explain many of the Space Marine on Space Marine battles we see on the table. You know, if my Blood Angels successors aren't part of the same faction as your Iron Hands army, it kind of makes sense for them to duke it out on a regular basis.

Oh, well.

DarkDesigner
04-05-2014, 04:09 PM
I would also save the Thousand Sons.

To be fair on the Emperor (something I rarely am), the Space Wolves were sent because Horus made sure they were the closest legion at the time. But then again, if the Emperor had just been open and trusting towards his sons and told Magnus why he wasn't to use his psychic powers to reach him, then Magnus would have known better. Probably.

Also I would leave the Dark Angels to face the music. They're more Chaosy than some Chaos armies. Them or the Iron Hands (if Ferrus Manus had just turned alongside Fulgrim, they would have been unstoppable).

sfshilo
04-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Thousand sons for the iron hands.

iron hands have nearly fallen a couple times, thousand sons were screwed from day one and never really had a chance.

Cartridge
04-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Thousand Sons for the Blood Angels. Sanguinius kept secrets of his legion from the Emperor to try and save them from being exterminated, and from the Black Rage and Red Thirst they're pretty close to damnation already.

Dominion
04-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I suppose the Thousand Sons had the most tragic and avoidable fall, and their reward for serving chaos was eternal imprisonment in their armour for most of them.

YorkNecromancer
04-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Emperor's Children or World Eaters.

Purely because I love the preheresy colour schemes.

Yes, I am aware of how shallow this makes me.

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 06:24 PM
I suppose the Thousand Sons had the most tragic and avoidable fall, and their reward for serving chaos was eternal imprisonment in their armour for most of them.

And that's kind of the point, I think. Magnus wasn't just enslaved, he was made an example of. The Gods of Chaos had to make sure that the other traitor legions saw what happens to those who end up serving unwillingly. It encouraged them to fall more... enthusiastically.

Learn2Eel
04-05-2014, 07:23 PM
The Thousand Sons had the most tragic fall; they weren't even really traitors. I don't really need to say more though as everyone else here covered it pretty well!

And that's kind of the point, I think. Magnus wasn't just enslaved, he was made an example of. The Gods of Chaos had to make sure that the other traitor legions saw what happens to those who end up serving unwillingly. It encouraged them to fall more... enthusiastically.

That's a good interpretation, though it can also be surmised that Tzeentch will be Tzeentch and punishes his "followers" as much as he rewards them.

Cactus
04-05-2014, 08:06 PM
I voted Thousand Sons for many of the same reason others have stated. Their downfall was so tragic, it's one of the elements that enriches the HH and adds another motivation outside of the personal reasons that caused most of the other primarchs to fall.

As for who to trade places with? I say Blood Angels. In my re-write, Sanguinius sticks with his buddy Horus and devotes himself to Khorne, embracing his space vampire nature.

Digitarii
04-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Thousand Sons really got a raw deal. Magnus was trying to remain loyal, but through the most massive misunderstanding in the Galaxy, the Space Wolves were sent to knock them out.

That said, I'd much rather have the Space Wolves converted to Tzeentch.

Yep. Let's just swap that sad story around.

If you read the book "The Outcast Dead", you find out that Magnus' actions nearly destroyed the Astronomican and most of the Astropaths near the Imperial Palace. Hardly a misunderstanding.

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 10:17 PM
I can't ever really see Sanguinius falling to Chaos. It makes about as little sense as Vulkan. Sanguinius is clearly described as one of the nicest, most human and humane of the Primarchs. He really believes in the Emperor's mission to unite mankind and rule the galaxy, and while he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty to do it, he seems like one of the Primarchs who would be most happy to one day retire to discover what living in peace is like. I can't really see him enslaving himself to the Ruinous Powers in order to plunge the galaxy into endless war.

SuperDann
04-06-2014, 12:27 AM
I agree that one of the most frustratingly limited things about how GW has written the Horus Heresy is that when the dust settled, there were only two sides: Chaos and the Imperium. Wouldn't it be neat if one or two of the legions had said "you know what? Screw all of you!" and gone off to found weirdo transhuman enclaves? While some "loyalist" chapters certainly do their own thing and don't come and go at the beck and call of the High Lords of Terra, all of them have to at least give lip service to Earth and the Imperium. It'd be neat of there wasn't this straightforward "good guy/bad guy" dichotomy...

I think the Heresy books are doing a great job of skewing the good guy/bad guy dichotomy. The good guys aren't all that good (Space Wolves are executioners, White Scars took their time deciding) but more so, the bad guys aren't just straight up evil - Angron was a victim of the nails and his untimely 'rescue' by the Emperor, Magnus was doing what he thought was necessary for mankind, the same for the Alpha Legion, not to mention that Horus was part of a scheme to bring about his downfall and it wasn't just him deciding to turn evil one day.

In any case, I'd save the Thousand Sons as they seemed the least likely to fall out of ask the chaos legions.

johan kreig
04-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Tough call but it would be a swap of iron warriors for imperial fists, however a thousand son swap with blood angels would be nice

Morgrim
04-06-2014, 02:25 AM
I think the Blood Angels could slip into a similar story as the Thousand Sons did. I cannot see Sanguinus betraying humanity, nor turning against the Emperor unless he felt the Emperor betrayed him first. He was known to have psykic talents and prophetic dreams which would give the Ruinous Powers things to work with and even at the very end in the Vengeful Spirit he was unwilling to attack Horus despite his brother having fully and visibly succumbed.

Given there was at least one prior example of Chaos attacking Sanguinus and it cascading through the entire legion (much to Chaos' surprise) they'd have to know that if they could just manage to trick the primach they'd get all the Blood Angels in one swoop.

I'm not sure what would be the best way to go about this. Use false dreams to lure them into discovering the Imperium doing something that made them uncomfortable, perhaps, while sowing some seeds of doubt elsewhere; play up the fact that Sanguinus is a visible mutant and thus tainted; see if you could use that blood connection to his space marines in reverse to start putting barbs into his mind? While it would be terrifying if he fell willingly all he's needed for is as a mean to an end, and Horus was the primach he was closest to. "Our father has been tricked, you must race there and tell him" while arranging a circumstance akin to what the Council of Mikae did for Magnus and you could set him up to fall by making him think that the Emperor is trying to enslave all humans to his empire and doesn't care about saving them after all.

I'm not sure who I'd save in return. If Fulgrim could be saved - possibly by Ferrus, since he faltered so terribly after killing his brother - then the Blood Angels could slip into their Slaaneshi role of triumph through perfection.

Darren Richardson
04-06-2014, 02:47 AM
I voted 1000 sons for all the reasons above, the Emperor drove them into the arms of chaos through the Space Wolves, and I think that's the reason why the Space Wolves stopped being the Emperor's excutioners and why they butt heads with the Inquestion and Grey Knights so much, they have been trying to forgive themselves for turning a loyal legion tratior....

As for who to fall, yeah Dark Angels it would have to be.

As for EP's post, with the three camps, Yeah I see Aplha Legion as not serving chaos but working for someone else instead, after all the legion went to ground in the Imperium instead of fleeing to the Eye, I would expect the Alphas to operate in a style mimicing the Codex Asartes to fit into the Imperium while pursuing their own agenda for this other party, I also imagine that this third party might be twisting the Dark Angels around their little finger/tenticle/whatever as well and most likley the Night Lords as well, because don't they hate chaos despite being a tratior legion IIRC....

Tyrendian
04-06-2014, 04:42 AM
If you read the book "The Outcast Dead", you find out that Magnus' actions nearly destroyed the Astronomican and most of the Astropaths near the Imperial Palace. Hardly a misunderstanding.

and if you read A Thousand Sons, you find out that it was quite the epic misunderstanding, which the disastrous effects it undoubtedly had change nothing about...

I can't ever really see Sanguinius falling to Chaos. It makes about as little sense as Vulkan. Sanguinius is clearly described as one of the nicest, most human and humane of the Primarchs. He really believes in the Emperor's mission to unite mankind and rule the galaxy, and while he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty to do it, he seems like one of the Primarchs who would be most happy to one day retire to discover what living in peace is like. I can't really see him enslaving himself to the Ruinous Powers in order to plunge the galaxy into endless war.

well, if anyone other than that lackwit failure Erebus had been in charge of the effort (from a writer's perspective I mean), Signus Prime could very well have been a success - came close enough as it was...

Denzark
04-06-2014, 12:58 PM
I am surprised at the love for 1k sons. Treacherous disobedient little mages. I think either the Iron Warriors - after all Perturabo isn't interested in Chaos, he is just the gash-jobs boy who goes postal because he gets the poo-ey end of the stick all the time.

Or, the Alpha Legion. This whole convoluted 'stay loyal to save mankind'. They could have and I expect, would have, been accepted back - a whole legion who didn't do much in terms of the earth invasion. Untouched by Chaos in the way that EC or DG were immediately post-heresy.

Who would I drop from the imperial rosters? There is something sneaky about Raven Guard I find suspicious. Or possibly Iron Hands as least empathy with humans.

Tyrendian
04-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Alpha Legion I could have seen as well - don't some of them still claim to be loyal to Mankind, if not the Imperium?
Perturabo on the other hand was I think just way too pissed of at everybody (for good reason!) to stay loyal...

DWest
04-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Personally, I would like to see Guilliman go over to the other side. Convinced of the Emperor's abandonment of Humanity, he would be working for the same goal Horus originally thought he himself was going for; rescuing the people from the Emperor's clutches. My reason for this is, Horus basically built his revolution out of the "special children" of the Legions-- Angron's a trainwreck, Fulgrim is too busy complementing himself, Peturabo is a dullard laborer, and Mortarion isn't much better, Lorgar is disgraced, Curze is extra-disgraced, Magnus is turbo-extra-disgraced with sprinkles on top, and Alpharius was creepy and untrustworthy the whole time. As we see in Fear to Tread, Horus has a similar opinion of his brothers; he deliberately torpedoed Erebus' attempt to turn Sanguinius because he didn't want the competition.

Enter Guilliman, a tactical and logistical genius, empire-builder, and easily in the top 5 (maybe top 3) of most beloved by his men and mortals in general. Suddenly, Horus would find himself in a two-front war; both fighting the Imperial forces, and fighting to maintain his position as top dog of the Heresy. I think it would make a much more intriguing and complex story.

Mr Mystery
04-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Emperor's Children.

As much as I love the story of their downfall, I would wave my wand and keep them loyal, with Fulgrim overcoming the Blade of the Laer.

As for going rogue? White Scars.

Dvastator
04-06-2014, 07:21 PM
My vote was for the Thousand Sons. As everyone else has mentioned, Magnus and crew were screwed from the word go. I also give my honorable mention to the Alpha Legion. If they only would have told the aliens to suck bolt rounds instead of listening to them, their little Heresy would have been quite different. Alpharius and crew would have infiltrated every traitor legion and caused much havoc!

As for who to throw under the bus? The Dark Angels are about as close Chaos as they come. Coming from a Chaos held world and growing up battling spawn their entire lives! Even the Lion was prone to paranoia towards his own legion. The way I see it, it was only a matter of time before he decided to attack his own people in a fit of paranoid delusion.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-07-2014, 02:29 AM
I am surprised at the love for 1k sons. Treacherous disobedient little mages.

That sounds like puppy talk...

Denzark
04-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Fair one - I am a mahoosive fan of the space viking theme...

Anggul
04-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Death Guard for Iron Hands.

The Death Guard were dicked by Typhon.

The Iron Hands are completely misguided madmen who have totally missed the point in being Astartes. That's the point in them of course and it's cool, but in terms of which swap would be best for the Imperium, that's the swap I would make. They see themselves as superior to the humans they were created to save, and usually kill whoever they 'save' afterwards. They win fights, but are the worst chapter by far in terms of how they deal with others. I imagine the only reason they haven't been declared traitors is their close ties to the mechanicus. They're probably worse than a lot of actual renegades.

Psychosplodge
04-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Emperor's Children or World Eaters.

Purely because I love the preheresy colour schemes.

Yes, I am aware of how shallow this makes me.

At least you're honest about it... :D

The Madman
04-07-2014, 07:26 AM
four pages and no mention of the Dornian Heresy, for shame.

Chris*ta
04-07-2014, 09:07 AM
At least you're honest about it... :D

I think you mean admitting you have a problem is the first step in your recovery :p

Soooooo much love for the Thousand Sons. I find it odd, as they're the legion that would be most changed by remaining loyal.

Also, why are they Thousand Sons? There was way more in the Legion, right? [/digression]

I voted Alpha Legion, as Alpharius ends up a traitor basically because he's the youngest child and doesn't feel loved by his daddy. Whereas most of the others deliberately turn against humanity and/or the Emperor.

As for Loyalist to go traitor, Roboute would probably be the biggest change to the canon, as if he went traitor there would be no Codex Astartes, not to mention that the Imperium may well have fallen apart.

As for which Loyalist I'd vote to go traitor? Raven Guard are in many ways borderline, as are Dark Angels, but I think this would make them less interesting as traitors ...

Rogal Dorn might be interesting as a traitor, and Sanguinius perhaps had the furthest to fall of any of the Loyalists (arguably, of all the Primarchs). I can't see Roboute or Vulkan going traitor, really. I don't see Iron Hands or White Scars being especially interesting as traitors, or Space Wolves for that matter, though they are borderline, at least in the Inquisition's eyes.

So, umm, in conclusion, I don't know ...

Charon
04-07-2014, 09:16 AM
You really should read the books/fluff... your Alpharius/Omegron conclusion is wrong on so may levels...

m3g4tr0n
04-07-2014, 11:11 AM
This is difficult. Several legions just made some really screwed up choices. I'd say the most obvious choice would be the Thousand Sons. They were so misunderstood.

Chris22
04-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Definitely save the Thousand Sons as they are easily my favorite legion in all the 40k canon. Their story is so tragic and so misunderstood. If the Emperor had simply explained to Magnus what he was doing and trusted his information all of it could have been avoided. Horus even states that he thought Magnus was the biggest threat to his rule, maybe even a bigger threat than the Emperor.

And I love both their pre and post heresy paint scheme.

m3g4tr0n
04-07-2014, 01:03 PM
You really should read the books/fluff... your Alpharius/Omegron conclusion is wrong on so may levels...

Agreed. That was one of my favorites.

Eldar_Atog
04-07-2014, 03:18 PM
The Thousand sons are my favorite human faction but I'm not sure if I would like them to have avoided their fate. Part of the reason I like the faction is their tragic fate. Also, I would say that Magnus was "damned if you do/damned if you don't". If he had stayed loyal, he would have been locked into the Golden Throne instead of the lich king

Sitnam
04-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Death Guard for Iron Hands.

The Death Guard were dicked by Typhon.

Death Guard were also known for their heavy usage of destroyer squads and chem weapons; I wouldn't call them any more humanitarian then the Iron Hands. The Iron Hands are brutal, but they are also among the most loyal to the Imperium imo. Extremely effective for xenocide campaigns I'd bet. I think DG for IH is a fair trade, the two legions had a few key similarities though I dont see Iron Hands fitting Nurgle well.

I'd like to see either IH become traitors or EC become loyalists, as that would increase Ferrus' chance of survival :).

ElectricPaladin
04-07-2014, 04:49 PM
...though I dont see Iron Hands fitting Nurgle well...

Oh, man, I can totally see it. What is the equal and opposite passion to their desire to perfect themselves with mechanical replacements? Fear of the flesh and its imperfections, of course! We already know that Nurgle can corrupt those who fear death, and what is the weakness of the flesh but incremental steps towards death?

Deadlift
04-07-2014, 05:03 PM
World Eaters, tragic back story really and I think they could be made all the more heroic for it.

Who would I have fall in their place, White Scars I think. I find their fluff just too boring and lacking in interest.

Gwhizz84
04-07-2014, 05:21 PM
I voted 1k sons for all the previous reasons basically, but it'd be really interesting to see how everything would pan out if the Word Bearers didn't turn, I mean.. If Lorgar didn't get slapped into place by the Emperor, would there even have been a Heresy in the first place? and even if Horus got turned by Typhon or someone else, Word Bearers were the only legion with enough numbers to viably pose a threat to the Ultramarines without support. Say the dark angels got turned instead, that leaves DA + NL along with the other traitors attacking terra with WB and UM defending along with scars, angels and fists. That's a fight Horus is never gonna win, Emperor doesn't have to do his old teleport sacrifice trick, galaxy survives, progresses and everyone eats marshmallows over alien's corpses.

Reapray
04-07-2014, 06:54 PM
I would save the Nightlords, It seems to me that nearly all other legions had a choice of one kind or another, whereas the Imperium let Nostromo slide back into it's dark pit.

Dominion
04-07-2014, 10:40 PM
I would save the Nightlords, It seems to me that nearly all other legions had a choice of one kind or another, whereas the Imperium let Nostromo slide back into it's dark pit.

I agree, I cant decide who I feel more bad for, Konrad or Magnus. No one liked Konrad and then Rogal got all angry at Konrad for having these visions, then on an impulse he beat him and then fled. I'm just going to say it was on impulse and the Emperor never seemed to care for him or try and develop a bond.

Poor Night Lords and their lack of interesting stories or characters.

MajorWesJanson
04-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Save the Thousand Sons Maybe as pennance after the Heresy, Magnus plugged himself in to power the Astranomicon instead of needing to sacrifice thousands of psykers.

Dark Angels go over to chaos. Maybe replace the Thousand Sons as the Legion of Tzeentch, since the Dark angels like information control, and tend to be capricious, pursuing their own agendas instead of working with their supposed allies.

DaveTycho
04-08-2014, 02:48 AM
I went for 1K Sons too because everything they did was for the Imperium. They weren't chaos worshippers, or having a grudge against The Emperor or the other Legions, or have any issues. Sure, they wanted to be justified in their use of psychic powers, but everyone wants their daddy to be proud of their achievements, don't they? As for an honourable mention, I'd go (surprisingly for me) Iron Warriors, because of Angel Exterminatus. It showed them in a light I (and I suppose very few others, which is probably the point) never expected and I feel that if someone actually saw beyond the simple "grubber in the dirt" image and gave them a chance, things would be very different for the Iron Warriors. I have no idea who I would throw under the bus in their place, but I do find it funny so few people want to save the Word Bearers. Then again, while I get Lorgar's attitude of worshipping chaos to save mankind, I very much dislike how quickly the rest of the Legion's attitude changed from that to worshipping chaos for personal gain and screw mankind (and each other!).

Chris*ta
04-15-2014, 01:31 PM
I voted Alpha Legion, as Alpharius ends up a traitor basically because he's the youngest child and doesn't feel loved by his daddy. Whereas most of the others deliberately turn against humanity and/or the Emperor.

Agreed. That was one of my favorites.

I dunno. I was going by the fluff in Codex: CSM v 3.5, sooooo ...

Tyrendian
04-15-2014, 01:42 PM
... but I do find it funny so few people want to save the Word Bearers. Then again, while I get Lorgar's attitude of worshipping chaos to save mankind, I very much dislike how quickly the rest of the Legion's attitude changed from that to worshipping chaos for personal gain and screw mankind (and each other!).

I guess there are two main reasons for that (I know there are for me), and they are called Erebus and Kor Phaeron. Lorgar I can feel sympathy for, like for most fallen primarchs - but those two are just a pair of self-absorbed jack@$$es of the worst kind, and they're not even well written as far as villains go, especially compared to the likes of Kharn or Sevatar...

Poor Night Lords and their lack of interesting stories or characters.

I dunno, Prince of Crows and especially daddy's part in Unremembered Empire aren't that bad... your "complaint" I'd hold much more true for Death Guard...

nathaneal246
04-15-2014, 01:57 PM
The Night Lords may have a book on the horizon, well Night Lords/Dark Angels! I say this after recently seeing a picture on Aaron Dembski-Bowdens blog! It shows Sevatar!

Cactus
04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I think one of the things that most of the HH novel writers have done is create some internal conflict with all of the primarchs. Some of the primarchs already seem to be touched by Chaos before everyone took sides.

It's very easy to imagine Sanguinious becoming consumed by the black rage and turn into a full-on space vampire or how Russ could be a plundering space werewolf-viking and loot the universe. On the inverse, even the Night Lords novel gives Cruze some redeeming qualities.

ElectricPaladin
04-15-2014, 03:12 PM
I think one of the things that most of the HH novel writers have done is create some internal conflict with all of the primarchs. Some of the primarchs already seem to be touched by Chaos before everyone took sides.

It's very easy to imagine Sanguinious becoming consumed by the black rage and turn into a full-on space vampire or how Russ could be a plundering space werewolf-viking and loot the universe. On the inverse, even the Night Lords novel gives Cruze some redeeming qualities.

One of the things I really enjoy about Warhammer 40k's lore is that evil is always a choice. There's no "oh no, the warp is overtaking me, and now I'm evil!" nonsense. Oh, sure, the a daemon could take over your body and turn it into a monster and use it to kill your buddies... but at that point you're basically dead, it's just that your corpse is (inconveniently) murdering folks. None of the traitor primarchs needed to fall, and none of the loyal needed to remain so. Sanguinius learned about honor, nobility, and sacrifice from his adopted parents, whoever they were, and those lessons led him to remain loyal.

If anything, that's what I wish we saw more of in the series - the life experiences that made these men the people they were before they became primarchs. I want to know about how some desert barbarians taught a young Sanguinius how to be a mensch, and I want to know where Lorgar's parents screwed up! If more of those stories were included in the series, I'd probably have read further than I did.

Tyrendian
04-15-2014, 03:12 PM
The Night Lords may have a book on the horizon, well Night Lords/Dark Angels! I say this after recently seeing a picture on Aaron Dembski-Bowdens blog! It shows Sevatar!

that would have to go way back in time... Thramas has already happened and has been briefly covered... or maybe its something completely new? kinda doubt that though, the coincidence would just be too big

CrimsonTurkey
04-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Another vote for the Thousand Sons. I wish that, in the end, Magnus and his chapter could have rejected chaos and gone rogue. It would be interesting if one of the legions had ended up unaligned on account of being betrayed by both sides.

As for who I would like to see fallen? Definitely not the Blood Angels. What makes them interesting, like the Dark Angels, is that they deny their nature and hide their secret. If they were out of the warp closet it would be too straight-forward. I think crazy Khan or Corax would be cool, however.

nathaneal246
04-16-2014, 02:00 AM
that would have to go way back in time... Thramas has already happened and has been briefly covered... or maybe its something completely new? kinda doubt that though, the coincidence would just be too big

Maybe its about how they escape from the Dark Angel Flagship! Theres no way they will keep them locked up for the rest of he series!

Katharon
04-16-2014, 04:34 AM
I would interject that we still don't know if the Alpha Legion is *actually* driven by loyalty to Chaos or a ill-conceived plan to continue their efforts of saving the Imperium by letting it fall to Chaos.

Lord Asterion
04-16-2014, 04:57 AM
I would interject that we still don't know if the Alpha Legion is *actually* driven by loyalty to Chaos or a ill-conceived plan to continue their efforts of saving the Imperium by letting it fall to Chaos.

There plan was never to save the Imperium, the plan was for Horus to win and then turn on his own Empire in a fury at what he's done, wiping out humanity entirely and depriving Chaos of that source of emotional energy

joosterandom
04-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Has anyone here heard of the Dornian Heresy? It makes for a great alternate timeline.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/heresy/thedornianheresy.pdf