PDA

View Full Version : I thought the Scions where coming as platoons?

danscan
04-05-2014, 12:51 PM
I have the Militarium Tempestus but it seems that they are not setup like the Imperial Guard Platoons. Where you have a jr Officer and then select additional squads but all are then part of the same troop choice. The rumors and some of the wording in the codex seems to suggest they were going to be similar but in the elite section.
Also how is this supplemental codex does not have troop selection so how can it be used to hold any objectives? I was hoping to be able to corm a fill Scion/Stromtrooper army but that does not seem possible at this point.

So has that whole Idea of Scion platoons been scrapped or will it be in the Full Astra Militarum Codex?

Ben_S
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM
I have the Militarium Tempestus ... The rumors and some of the wording in the codex seems to suggest they were going to be similar but in the elite section.

If you mean you have the Codex, then you probably have a better idea than me, but...

First, as I understand it, it's not a supplemental Codex. You can use it on it's own, without needing another. If it has no troops, that makes it hard to win many games, but not impossible (especially with scoring allies).

I don't really know about the platoon point. That seemed to be in the WD rules, but for all I know they were geared to using Scions with the old IG Codex and some things may change with the new AsMi* Codex.

*To distinguish from AM = Adeptus Mechanicus.

Blood Shadow
04-05-2014, 01:41 PM
...?

It does have a Troops section, whilst it's not clearly labelled the symbol in the top left corner denotes the Force org slot, Tempestus Scions are troops as denoted by the triangle, the Taurox Prime is either dedicated or fast attack, there's no heavy or elite choice.

danscan
04-05-2014, 04:02 PM
...?

It does have a Troops section, whilst it's not clearly labelled the symbol in the top left corner denotes the Force org slot, Tempestus Scions are troops as denoted by the triangle, the Taurox Prime is either dedicated or fast attack, there's no heavy or elite choice.

Thanks. I went back and looked at the rule book for the symbol and they match. So they are troops for Tempestus but elites for AsM. I think they should have stuck with the Platoon idea and made a "super scion HQ" for the codex while the IG codex version stuck with the Jr Officer version.

In a way they really made it so they have to be fielded as the formations.

Blood Shadow
04-05-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm a little disappointed there's no named characters, but it's all new stuff and I've been waiting an age for this Dex so no grumbling from me.....

Learn2Eel
04-05-2014, 07:18 PM
From what I understand they will use the platoon rules in the Astra Militarum Codex. The reason that they don't use the same rules in the Militarum Tempestus Codex is - I guess - that they don't need the platoon rules to be fielded in high numbers as Troops choices. Seems a bit backward though but if the White Dwarf rules were actually accurate for the new AM codex then that would appear to be the reasoning behind it. This would actually make it possible to field more Militarum Tempestus units in the Astra Militarum Codex than the other way around....which would be hilarious. Wait and see though, obviously. I would be disappointed if the platoon rules for "Stormtroopers" were only temporary.

Aaron LeClair
04-05-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm a little disappointed there's no named characters, but it's all new stuff and I've been waiting an age for this Dex so no grumbling from me.....
ya they bring up Commissar Yarrick in the codex, yet didn't at least add him. Very Sad, was so hopefully to have ways to field him without guard beside during apoc games.

and there are two HQ, two troops and two Fast in the Codex. Honestly I look forward to the next time they get updated and expect more to be added.

Learn2Eel
04-07-2014, 06:34 AM
According to a source on Faeit 212, yes, Scions/Stormtroopers are getting platoon rules in the Astra Militarum codex. Just thought I'd clarify this question if anyone was still curious :)

Mr Mystery
04-07-2014, 06:56 AM
That and it was in last weeks White Dwarf.

John Bower
04-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Don't forget a codex doesn't 'have' to have troops to be used alone; the Knights and the Inquisition are prime examples of this, Knights don't vary the choice other than the 'model' of knight, while Inquisition have nothing other than HQ and Elites, but the elites become scoring if the Inquisition are your 'primary' detachment. So don't need allies. In fact the only compulsory unit for Inquisition is a single HQ, all else is optional.

Gleipnir
04-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Scions are Troops(noted by their battlefield role on their unit entry page in the codex) when selected as a part of a Tempestus detachment(Including formations) and Elites when selected as a part of the Astra Militarum.

Unlike Imperial Knights/Inquisition/Legion of the Damned they do not have rules for being new +1 detachment on the existing FOC apart from as a formation w/ Taurox Primes or Valkyries. So would have to be selected as either a primary or allied detachment when used apart from an Astra Militarum detachment.

sfshilo
04-08-2014, 04:46 PM
I wish the damn camo upgrade actually was f!&#&!& pointed....