PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Models

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 12:05 PM
I just came into a metric butt-ton of painted Dropzone Commander models. I'm going to be improving on the paint jobs slightly, but the only problem is that the models are extremely dusty. Has anyone got any idea of how to clean them without harming the paint?

Blackcloud6
04-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Brush them with a soft brush then rinse them in cool water.

DarkLink
04-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Cleaning them without stripping the paint? Wouldn't just water work?

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Cleaning them without stripping the paint? Wouldn't just water work?

Probably. I just wanted to confirm it. This is the first time I've acquired used models that I wanted to alter, but not strip, so I've never had call to wash a model. I wanted to be sure.

DarkLink
04-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Yeah, anything more would probably start stripping the paint. Maybe isopropyl alcohol if you don't scrub it at all.

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Yeah, anything more would probably start stripping the paint. Maybe isopropyl alcohol if you don't scrub it at all.

Doesn't that stuff weaken superglue?

I'll try water and a brush when I get home. Unless it's some freakishly nasty oily-*** dust, I'm sure water will do it.

DarkLink
04-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Yeah, if you scrub it with alcohol, you can remove paint. It's about the next weakest thing to water, though. Not sure what soap would do, either.

Houghten
04-05-2014, 04:34 PM
A compressor with an air hose does it nicely.

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 04:58 PM
A compressor with an air hose does it nicely.

Have you seen a Dropzone Commander mini? Things are tiny. A compressor with an air hose will send my minis to Texas.

Houghten
04-05-2014, 05:41 PM
No, I have four DZC armies but I've never seen the models. I painted them all in the dark. :P

A PHR walker is about the size of a Space Marine and not much lighter. Besides, the idea is that you grip the model as you're blowing it off, because it's easier to twist it about in front of the nozzle than to try to manipulate the hose.

As long as you don't hold it half an inch in front of the nozzle, the air pressure won't snap the thin bits off, either.

ElectricPaladin
04-05-2014, 06:23 PM
No, I have four DZC armies but I've never seen the models. I painted them all in the dark. :P

A PHR walker is about the size of a Space Marine and not much lighter. Besides, the idea is that you grip the model as you're blowing it off, because it's easier to twist it about in front of the nozzle than to try to manipulate the hose.

As long as you don't hold it half an inch in front of the nozzle, the air pressure won't snap the thin bits off, either.

Touché, Houghten. Touche. :D

anyway, I used water and they're all drying in a box on my balcony right now, so all's well that ends well.

You should start some threads on DZC up in here. It would be fun to see some non-GW talk going on.