PDA

View Full Version : Army list software?

Nicho
01-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Alright guys, any of you know any good programs or software for making army lists? If there was an app for the iphone it would be cool too

Sangre
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Pen and paper. No, hear me out. I'm convinced that the increasing prevalence in army list software is crippling gamers' abilities to formulate lists tactically. If you get into the habit of calculating your army lists on pen and paper you'll get better and better. Trust me.

Grotzooka
01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
How do you figure that?

fuzzbuket
01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I tried armybuilder at a mates house...
the =][= wargear is ***** and it misses out stuff and you fly over things you'd normaly look at!
belive me doing some sums helps your maths and is better for you brain! (who needs wii brain train when youve got a deamonhunter dex and a need to buy shiny toys!)

-Fuzz

Subject Keyword
01-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I took a computer programming course and my final project was a nice, shiny Necron Army List Builder (NALB).
It serves me well.

There are more army builds for 'Crons than people anticipate.

BuFFo
01-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Army Builder is awesome.

Give it a shot!

Melissia
01-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Army Builder 3 is what I use. Just play around with it, try and include various units in various styles of fighting, rather than sticking with one style.

Sangre
01-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I tried armybuilder at a mates house...
the =][= wargear is ***** and it misses out stuff and you fly over things you'd normaly look at!
belive me doing some sums helps your maths and is better for you brain! (who needs wii brain train when youve got a deamonhunter dex and a need to buy shiny toys!)

-Fuzz

This, basically.

mathhammer
01-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Get the latest army builder and go to town.

I hear people complain yet they
a) never have an exact complaint.
b) never found a real bug and reported it.

Grey2321
01-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I just get out my codex and use Excel.

Melissia
01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I found a bug and reported it, and it got fixed later. Regardless, Army Builder is efficient and easy. I tend to create armies without using too many shinies to begin with.

Sangre
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Get the latest army builder and go to town.

I hear people complain yet they
a) never have an exact complaint.
b) never found a real bug and reported it.

It's not that I have a complaint with army builder per se. It's just that doing things with pen and paper tend to improve your general mental abilities, you get to know the codex better in terms of points and stats, you train yourself to make fewer mistakes with your arithmetic.

plasticaddict
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM
I use Army Builder to print out my lists for tournament play, clear and easy to read. I also build lists using pen and paper for casual play when I need to change points during the day at my FLGS. I have the points for my most often used units commited to memory and I have the codex handy for when I want to try something different.

BuFFo
01-04-2010, 12:27 AM
It's not that I have a complaint with army builder per se. It's just that doing things with pen and paper tend to improve your general mental abilities, you get to know the codex better in terms of points and stats, you train yourself to make fewer mistakes with your arithmetic.

LOL.....

Seriously?

So I have had 17 years total in Schooling, but the second I decide to use Army Builder my IQ drops suddenly and all my knowledge in 2nd grade math goes out the window?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

crazyredpraetorian
01-04-2010, 12:56 AM
I frequently play in tournaments at a store that gives 3pts for typed army lists. I don't use Army Builder currently. However, I have in the past. It's a great tool.

Loken
01-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Army Builder. There is no substitute.

And I have done it with pen and paper, and all it does is take longer.

Alec

Sangre
01-04-2010, 02:59 AM
LOL.....

Seriously?

So I have had 17 years total in Schooling, but the second I decide to use Army Builder my IQ drops suddenly and all my knowledge in 2nd grade math goes out the window?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Again, no, although apparently your ability to read could use some practice. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with using Army Builder! I just prefer using pen and paper because it stretches the mental muscles that you use for some basic skills in the game.

Aldramelech
01-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Goodbye

snikrot
01-04-2010, 09:23 AM
if you have the time i like excel but if you just want to get a list fast army builder is the way to go.

deka
01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I am using Army Builder 3.1, and this is good program...
My local gaming club have Army Builder 3.2, and both (3.1 & 3.2) are great software...
If you do not know your codex you can not use software, bae even pen and papper...
In data files you can find some errors bat developers of data files are very quick with bug handling

Lerra
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I second the recommendation for Excel. It's bug-free, easy to manipulate, and you can store many army lists in one file. It's also easier to bring the file on a flash drive to print elsewhere if you do not have a printer.

rbryce
01-04-2010, 01:34 PM
pen and paper all the way, though i do type it up on the army list PDF that i got from here, at least i think it was here? its good, cos the layout and text is neat then, and it looks swish(has the 5th cover as a water mark, and looks pretty official). tried army builder, and wilst its quite good, i like to take the time, and read the dex, as i pick other stuff up as im reading(stats, special rules etc).

archimbald
01-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree.......

I enjoy writing army lists, very therapeutic

damn right and i enjoy thinking up what way to play

david5th
01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I use army builder and i have no problems. Before that i used th Armies and Enemies of the Imperium programs GW made.

I have tried the pen and paper method but putting together a Battle company + sized Ultramarines army got tedious, especially with my poor hand writing.

therealjohnny5
01-12-2010, 09:44 PM
anything out there for Mac?

Wolfshade
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I generally use the old excel & dex combo. In my opinion it increases the knowledge of your dex and gives you some ideas about what is worth what on a battlefield. Plus, it means when you are bored at work you can jot down ideas for different army compositions quite effectively which you might not be able to do if you aren't as aware of the points.

I've used army builder and found it to be perfect for my needs, no issues with it what so ever, but I found myself building an army to points rather than with a plan in mind but I think that was just because I wasn't overly familiar with it and it isn't a unique problem to using software I just didn't think of it in the same way as when I write them out.

A friend of mine uses a scrap of paper with some indecipherable code as to what his eldar are and their points, funnily enough he tends to always beat me and my nice shiney printed lists...:rolleyes:

MarshalAdamar
01-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I use the latest army builder and I love it.

I love that I can duplicate whole units if I want more than one with just click of a button, save lists. It’s so fast to make a couple of lists then sit back and mull over which one works for you.

Give it a try!

ForeverHero
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I recommend Army Builder as well, I've used it for years and have never had an problems. Also, I did find a bug years ago and reported it to the developers; it was corrected in a later release and I haven't had a problem since. The output is organized and easy to read plus I separate the weapon information on its own page for easy reference.

The application is great in that it allows you to add customized notes for your units which are great for tournaments that have a fluff or background category. I also like that you can save your unit's configuration and just select the one item when creating future lists; fast and simple. The development team also does a great job of keeping the data files up to date. The team that generates those data files is an all volunteer crew and I think that they have done a fantastic job over the years.

Some people may complain but I'm glad they do what they do to help make my gaming life easier. From what I have read, some folks find that creating lists via pen and paper is therapeutic but for me... therapy is sharing a pint with my gaming friends and talking over old 'war stories' :)

Cheers,

FH

marineboy
01-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Pen and paper. No, hear me out. I'm convinced that the increasing prevalence in army list software is crippling gamers' abilities to formulate lists tactically. If you get into the habit of calculating your army lists on pen and paper you'll get better and better. Trust me.

i agree thats the only way i make my army list and the ideas just flow to me when im making one